Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman 2016 Group Christmas Project - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (9 votes) 
Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 14, 2016 - 9:01 am
Forum Posts: 16429

Details from the completed project below:

Please join us on our 2016 Fiddlerman Group Christmas Project.
We will be playing, "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

The deadline for your submissions will be in Monday, December 12th, 2016 at which time I will begin mixing. Keep posted as the date can be changed. I encourage all participants to learn several parts. If the timing of your submission does not correspond with the playback file it will not be used. All submissions should be converted to MP4 (MPEG-4) with a minimum resolution of 640 x 480. No audio only submissions.

Please consider dressing the part if possible. Christmas decorated backgrounds are encouraged. This will make for a much more interesting video for us to share.

Visit this forum link to participate on the discussion of this project.

Please download the playback file to your computer, phone, MP3 player or similar for use during your recording. Any video submission recorded without the use of this playback file "in ear" (preferably using a headphone jack) will not be used. I cannot match all the parts unless you are hearing the playback file while recording.

After recording yourself using the playback file in ear only, should not be audible on your recording) SPREND the MP4/MPEG-4 preferred video file…

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

PopFiddle

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
November 14, 2016 - 12:26 pm
Forum Posts: 175
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

OK, so we can expect a playback file.  But at the project blog site,

https://fiddlerman.com/2016/11.....christmas/

there is what looks like a list of sheet music, but they are not links.  Should we, or can we use the sheet music as posted above?  That's what I have been practicing with so far.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 14, 2016 - 12:51 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

PopFiddle said
OK, so we can expect a playback file.  But at the project blog site,

https://fiddlerman.com/2016/11.....christmas/

there is what looks like a list of sheet music, but they are not links.  Should we, or can we use the sheet music as posted above?  That's what I have been practicing with so far.  

I'm sorry Popfiddle, you were a bit faster than me. I was working on them. They are available now.

I'll get on the playback file soon.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
November 15, 2016 - 6:01 am
Forum Posts: 3744

Ah-yes @Fiddlerman - out of "passing interest" will you be planning to follow the tempo changes as per the original Nikolai Clavier score ( 75 bpm first 8 bars, then 80 bpm to the end ) or are we going to use a fixed tempo throughout ?    Not important, just curious is all.....

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
November 15, 2016 - 9:18 am
Forum Posts: 595

Hey all, now that the elections are over, I (sort of) feel safe leaving the bunker at Camp Armageddon and coming back down out of the hills. Now if I can only remember where I stored the viola, I will get back to scratching out a few tunes.  Will you be able to post a video tutorial, or know when you will be able to get the click track up and running. For some reason it takes me a couple of weeks to even get past downloading that portion of the project. Sort of glad to see only one viola part. Keeps my indecision to a minimum...

BillyG
November 15, 2016 - 1:58 pm

LOL @Ripton - man - even we, across the pond, were taking shelter !!!!!   ( we experienced much the same with the earlier "independence" referendum, and then the "brexit" referendum - keep politics out of it is what I say - well - at least in regard to our musicall interests!   Glad you survived in Camp Armageddon bro' !   Welcome back to normality ! )

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
November 15, 2016 - 3:08 pm
Forum Posts: 4180

violin-1267Hi Ripton... Nice to see ya!

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
November 16, 2016 - 8:43 pm
Forum Posts: 595

sweden-4231

BillyG
November 17, 2016 - 9:33 am

We're looking for tempo suggestions - if you listen to the existing arrangement posted by @Uzi - it sounds nice and dreamy at 80bpm ( OK, it's 75 for the first 8 bars ).   Here's the link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....XXuO1anLxE

As it happens - I've calculated (and timed it ) - and it is being played a bit slower than indicated on the score - not by much - but it is slower - specifically it is longer by 6 seconds than the score indicates, across the 3 minutes of the performance ....

Personally, I would settle for 80bpm all the way through.

Have a listen, let us know !

BillyG
November 18, 2016 - 4:57 am

OK - we're up for votes on the tempo - here are three vesrions of the violin solo, with an animated score so you can both listen and even play-along to - first is 80 bpm (as originally scored by Niklai Clavier, the arranger ).  The next is 96 bpm and finally one at 112 bpm.

My personal preference is still for the 80 as I feel that once all the other instruments come into play, it has a dreamy and soporific feel.  At 112 I start to feel as if it wants to be "rocked up" and almost wants to be played faster.....   anyway - that's just what I think, let's get a vote, and make a choice....  here you are - 

EDIT:  Ahhh - I forgot to say - although it's pretty obvious - (1) There is around a 10 second delay to let you pick up instrument if you're gonna play along to it, (2) there is a two bar lead-in with a drum Boom-tick-tick-tick using low-tom and side-stick, (3) following the lead-in the drums are silenced, but you can "get" the rhythm as the blue cursor moves along - when it straddles a bar line, that's the "Boom"  LOL

FURTHER EDIT :  The bpm demo videos have now been removed to avoid potential confusion - and the selected tempo is 80 bpm.  Individual-part click / play-along tracks are to be found in post #21 in this thread......

coolpinkone
November 19, 2016 - 12:50 pm
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

@BillyG Thank you so much for the practice for the tempo on musescore. I am sooooooooo bad at inputting into that system.  I practiced yesterday with them along with another violin partner and it was FANTASTICO.

Thanks again for all you do.

You are awesome!!!! 

Toni

Georganne
Members

Regulars
November 19, 2016 - 1:05 pm
Forum Posts: 993
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like the first, slowest one the best.  It also may allow for more people to play.  

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

SilverHalide
Scotland
Members
November 19, 2016 - 1:29 pm
Forum Posts: 67
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like the 80 and 96 bpm. The 96 does feel a bit breathless at parts, but that may be due to the program and not how it's wrote. :)

Charles
Members

Regulars
November 19, 2016 - 6:14 pm
Forum Posts: 373
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like the 96 best of the 3 - the 80 seems to drag some. I think a little bit slower than 96 (90, 92, something like that) would be optimal.

BillyG
November 20, 2016 - 2:41 am
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hahaha ! OK - the 112 is out  (thought it would be)

@coolpinkone - glad it was in some way useful !

@Georganne - agreed, the slower tempo will feel easier for some - but see what Charles says in post #14

@SilverHalide - LOL @"breathless" - I think I know what you mean - I'm not really a great fan of computer generated timing and synth voices unless you put a LOT of effort into 'humanising' it !  

@charles - I'm leaning somewhat towards that notion.  Maybe not quite as slow as the 80

Anyway - thanks for the feedback folks.

Oh - by the way - for anyone who has or uses MuseScore - here's the .mscz so you can mess with the tempo yourselves....   Play-along-vln-solo-80.mscz 

It of course has the 2 extra lead-in bars with the drums (and the drum stave is hidden)

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
November 21, 2016 - 12:43 am
Forum Posts: 973
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just as a point of interest.  The reason the times don't add up in seconds is that the first 8 bars (the Walt Disney sounding introduction) is played at 75 bpm straight time.  The rest of the song is played at 80 bpm with a swing tempo.  That makes the song sound jazzy, but it certainly doesn't have to be played that way.  It's a good song when played with straight tempo all the way through.  Just be forewarned that if played in straight time, your permit to wear sunglasses in dark bar rooms may be revoked and you will no longer be taken seriously if you say, "Daz cool baby. Reeeeal coooooool."  You dig?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

BillyG
November 21, 2016 - 6:14 am
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

LOL @Uzi -

Just be forewarned that if played in straight time, your permit to wear sunglasses in dark bar rooms may be revoked and you will no longer be taken seriously if you say, "Daz cool baby. Reeeeal coooooool."  You dig?

afro  LOL - I was looking for the "Cool" smiley, I must have imagined it or seen one elsewhere - so have one of these as well hats_off   !!!!

As regards the mixed tempo and the overall timing ( and I could have got the arithmetic wrong ! ) check my actual calculations in post https://fiddlerman.com/forum/2.....ns/#p82673 - where what I was getting at - when actually played that way, (75 for 8 bars,l 80 for the rest) it was about 6 seconds shorter than that in the link you provided....

It (what I did ) is not important anyway, but I *had* to do it ! LOL.    It was just a warning to folks NOT to necessarily follow the recording for submissions, and await a known click/backing/fixed-tempo etc....

coolpinkone
November 21, 2016 - 3:18 pm
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Uzi Ha ha..

Too funny. :)

Just4Fun
Members
November 22, 2016 - 6:56 pm
Forum Posts: 62
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just printed out violin 4.  I think that's all I can handle this time around.  I'll tackle whatever tempo gets thrown at me, once I have the backing track I tend to pick it up quickly... it's just the final filming that always gets me!

coolpinkone
November 22, 2016 - 7:07 pm
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Just4Fun good luck with the project.  I am very familiar with the song so it has been one of the easier projects so far.  (Yay).  It is going to be great.  So glad that you can join in.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse, stringy, nykteria
Guest(s) 111
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5306