Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman 2016 Group Christmas Project - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (9 votes) 
Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 5, 2016 - 8:51 am
Forum Posts: 16429
41sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guys, just one week left for submissions. Let's have fun and make a great video together. Remember to have some ornaments and such in your video. Not a bad idea to dress in red, green, white..... Christmassy colors....

Thanks. Looking forward to this one.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 5, 2016 - 11:52 am
Forum Posts: 3744
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
42sp_Permalink sp_Print

We've done this before - but rather than starting a separate thread - anyone who wants to can (aand possibly should, for confidence, if nothing else) post their "trial / practise" takes here as well - it is ALWAYS a good thing to do and get that camera rolling before the "oh, I'll record it when I've got it right" moment arrives ( which is often too late - LOL )  

OK - this is what I was doing earlier today.... when it all went to heck-in-a-handcart ( LOL ) - it's a practise take of the vln lead/solo. However - what I did was to play along to a backing track on headphones generated by synthesized cello, flute (which could have been made somewhat more present in the mix) and a low-tom and side-stick drum... It was NOT as good as I wished - but I wanted to share it - so I post-processed it to mix-back-in the original backing track I was listening to - so you could hear it more or less as I did while recording.... the audio has ended up slightly out of synch with the video - no matter - here's the end result - warts and all - - and yes - it was a sunny December morning in the north of Scotland ! And @lydharp - you working on this ? A week left for submissions lass !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 5, 2016 - 1:34 pm
43sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great idea Bill, and thanks for the post!!!

BillyG
December 5, 2016 - 3:11 pm
44sp_Permalink sp_Print

You're welcome @Fiddlerman - it's just a way of hopefully inspiring folks to get "out there" - like my above post "warts and all" (where I intentionally added slight timing variations just to kill the audio-boredom of long-long sustains and to bring part of the rhythm that other voices bring to the overall piece) and getting folks used to being recorded - you don't HAVE to be perfect....

I'm planning to do the cello part as well ( if I don't have to go away again in the next few days ) - but it will be a "strange" cello part - I like the cello melody-line a lot - and - NOOOO - I don't have a real cello (yet!) - but- I do have a viola-strung fiddle ( uh-huh - you know the one - ol' Hermano dell Diablo ) - well - I've stuck a $5 Ali-Express / ebay piezo pickup on Hermano, and, playing him through my guitar FX box with the octave-dropper set properly - he's in range.... LOLOL  

( OK, OK, I know, I know, I've lost the plot entirely but you all knew that already.... ) - anyway - no promises all depends on time - but I have had a quick test-run already and it works - and sounds - well - not exactly like a cello but with the added sustain and harmonic chorusing etc your imagination does the rest.......  at least it's in the expected register.... I'll need a good few play-throughs first, but time and travel permitting, I'll see what I can do...  fingers crossed...    all good...

Bring it on folks !!!!!  drummerdrummerdrummerdrummer

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 5, 2016 - 3:47 pm
Forum Posts: 60
45sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm doing my best to learn it on time! :) I try to make all the "non-solo" parts to help the project and I hope I'll manage to finish at least two of them...

I should go recording to the streets of Prague which are frozen and all white, especially the trees - it looks like winter kingdom. But I'm afraid I'd change to ice, it's terribly cold. violin-1267

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 5, 2016 - 5:36 pm
46sp_Permalink sp_Print

https://youtu.be/QoX_wbnspjg

Another movie to support you... I hope you'll hear something more than the noise of the mic... :)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 6, 2016 - 10:24 am
47sp_Permalink sp_Print

@terezka - It's extremely dark and I hear a lot of crackling noises. The gain is way too low as well. What kind of camera/mic are you using?

BillyG
December 6, 2016 - 11:43 am
48sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yup - thanks for sharing the practice-take @terezka - out of interest, what is the EV you have there ?   It sounds like mine ( LOL - what a stupid thing to say, Bill !  Almost all un-amped EV's with no FX will sound much-the-same to a large extent - ignore me! ).   Yeah, as Pierre said it was spoiled somewhat by the crackling noises, but I know, it was just a practice - as they say "warts and all"... LOL  violin_girl

Thank you for letting us know where you "are" with it...   Cool ! 

P.S.  Keep warm in the Winter Kingdom of Prague !

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
December 6, 2016 - 2:12 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
49sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay...thanks (both) for sharing your progress.  

I should be in on time for this one.  I have it mostly.  I need to spend some times with the click track now.  

Love the project and all the enthusiasm.

Cheers.

Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 6, 2016 - 3:32 pm
50sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank all of you for your replies :)

The recording is absolutely odd, I know. It's just my notebook camera with unamped electric violin, that's the way I practise when the kids are sleeping.

All the electric violins sound almost the same, really. :D This one sounds a bit better, it's hand made by a luthier and I like it much more than all the factory pieces I've ever tried. My teacher hates it. :D Nevermind, our last class was 5 years ago. :DDD

Bad news - another flare of my arthritis is here. But I hope I'll manage to keep practising and recording to join you. I must play before the illness eats my joints!

devil-violin

BillyG
December 6, 2016 - 3:58 pm
51sp_Permalink sp_Print

terezka said
Bad news - another flare of my arthritis is here. But I hope I'll manage to keep practising and recording to join you. I must play before the illness eats my joints!

devil-violin  

Take care there - don't drive-yourself too hard.   It's not advisable to "play through the pain"- when it starts to hurt  - STOP !   thumbs-up

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
December 6, 2016 - 4:37 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
52sp_Permalink sp_Print

@terezka What a shame to hear of the arthritis.  I hope you have caught it in time and perhaps it will let up in time for the project, or you can get your recording out before it consumes you. (what a nitemare for a violinist).

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

christmaswreathchristmaswreathchristmaswreath

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 6, 2016 - 5:40 pm
53sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for your concern, folks. I'm lucky, the illness affects mainly my spine, hips and sacroiliac joints, the fingers are OK. If I find a way how to stand, I can play, too. (I hope the progress will be slow!)

I've just saunabathed and it's much better, I'm going to practise! :D  saint_patricks_dayviolin-1267

BillyG
December 7, 2016 - 8:09 am

**** ATTENTION PLAYERS OF VLN 4 PART  ****

There appears to be an error in the published Vln 4 pdf score-sheet - which was identified by our new member, @wisco kid

There is a bar missing - bar 26.   Which made it real hard to match-in with the click track !   What's even stranger is that the bar numbering on the score is also wrong - there are 57 bars in the actual piece, the vln-4 score shows only 56 ( when you count them ! ) even although it "appears" to end on bar 57.

Here's an update that you can pencil-in on your own printed sheet for vln-4

score-isues-02-instruction.jpgImage Enlarger

The bar numbers, to the left, in black, are the original as found in the pdf file.   The bar numbers in red, above each bar, were added by me....  clearly something goes wrong by the time bar 32 ( really 31 in the original ) is reached.... and it's all down to the missing bar 26.

If you're playing vln-4 - mark up your sheet to remind you to play bar 25 twice....

EDIT: I've checked - and all the other parts are fine, it's only Vln 4 that's affected...

EDIT (again!) : See post #55 below - Pierre has just this minute updated the Vln 4 pdf which is somewhat more interesting rather than just repeating bar 25 !!!!   LOL

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 7, 2016 - 11:18 am
55sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry guys. I don't know why but one measure was missing in the original. The funny thing is that when I opened Finale, the measure was indeed there and not missing. I just extracted the part and it appeared.
Re-download the part please and help spread the word. The real measure 26 was missing. :(
https://fiddlerman.com/wp-cont.....olin-4.pdf
Everything should be good now. Thanks for the catch guys.

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 9, 2016 - 7:25 am
56sp_Permalink sp_Print

How many submissions do you have by now, Pierre? @Fiddlerman

BillyG
December 10, 2016 - 9:42 am
57sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh well - done my best...  it's been sprended.  (Is there such a word?)...

If I get half a chance I have a "fake" cello version to come, but I'm kind of overloaded with other stuff right now - if I get a chance tomorrow I'll do it....

Keep 'em coming folks.....

BillyG
December 10, 2016 - 12:26 pm
58sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also - hey folks - remember this - if you DO send via "sprend" -  it WILL (automatically) be deleted after 7 days if you have not gone "pro" on sprend .... so just in case you sent a post in REALLY EARLY - it is always possible it was "not seen in time" if the recipient is away, is on holiday, or is otherwise pre-occupied....   

Just saying - it's always possible....   I have been known to not pick up emails for 4 or 5 days - and that's getting close to the "sprend" auto-delete time - and I'm a lazy old bloke....   LOL

It would be nice if "sprend" gave feedback on a "pick-up" by the recipient - well - maybe the paid-for pro version does - I don't know....   but it's worth thinking about if you suspect your "sprend" was lost or not seen....

Good point ( I think ) ...

BillyG
December 11, 2016 - 5:07 am
59sp_Permalink sp_Print

A comment on YouTube regarding one of my "animated scores"....   happy to know the effort has been useful...   and - hahaha you'll like my corrected typo @Fiddlerman

anim_score.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 11, 2016 - 7:02 am
60sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, 3 movies have been "sprent". :D Why, for God, do I feel absolutely crippled and I play much worse when tha camera is on? :(

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 83
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296