Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman 2016 Group Christmas Project - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (9 votes) 
BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 11, 2016 - 8:51 am
Forum Posts: 3744
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
61sp_Permalink sp_Print

terezka said
OK, 3 movies have been "sprent". :D Why, for God, do I feel absolutely crippled and I play much worse when tha camera is on? :(   

Well done - you're ahead of me - got one sent in, but having some issues getting around to recording my cello part... (not the playing, just other things!)   And yes, it sounds absolutely fine until you hit that little-red-record button !!! LOL  

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 11, 2016 - 10:35 am
Forum Posts: 60
62sp_Permalink sp_Print

@BillyG We're Crippled brothers. roflol You like specialties, don't you? gold_star I like it. It's music, not chemistry. If you like playing "fake cello" or "fake viola", I think it's absolutely OK and I'm enthusiastic to hear rhat. ? I'm waving towards Scotland!

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 11, 2016 - 10:51 am
Forum Posts: 3744
63sp_Permalink sp_Print

LOL - OK - I'll tell you what my "fake cello" is....  hahaha - OK - I have this old 4/4 fiddle, you probably know the one - I've mentioned it before - it is "Hermano del Diablo"...   It is a cheap "old" ( late 1970's or so ) Chinese thing - LONG before the great workshops of today....   It was dead on the E string, no matter what I tried.   So, I re-strung Hermano as a viola (C, G, D, A), using a C intended for a 5-string EV.   So, I have "something" that plays in the register of a viola - it may not sound like a proper viola, but it works....  and I play it a lot...

Next step - I also have an effects box which I use for guitar - and one of its many FX is an octave dropper !!!    So - I get myself a $5 stick-on piezo transducer from e-bay and attach it to Hermano....   feed that into the FX box, drop the sound by an octave - what have you got ?    Damn me, a cello !!!!!   Hahahaha !   Of course the FX box can add some degree of harmonics as well - still doesn't make it sound like a real cello of course - but it is in the appropriate register, and, well, it's quite an "interesting" sound overall...

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 11, 2016 - 1:56 pm
64sp_Permalink sp_Print

@BillyG That sounds wonderful!thumbs-upunited_kingdom-4178

Robyn.fnq
Queensland, Australia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2016 - 11:18 pm
Forum Posts: 587
65sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well after my usual dramas recording myself (except this time I didn't burn the curtains) I think I've sprended the best of 342.5 takes.

I'm not even sure it went through, so I won't be surprised if I don't find myself in the final cut.

gingerbreadhouse  christmascandle  christmaswreath  santa3

If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

terezka
Prague, Czech republic

Advanced member
Members
December 12, 2016 - 7:42 am
66sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Robyn.fnq That's great. saint_patricks_day

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
December 12, 2016 - 3:16 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
67sp_Permalink sp_Print

Robyn, Terezeka, and Bill and others.  Good job on the submissions.

I will get mine recorded tonight 12/12 (before the deadlingdw).  I have no voice and I am recovering from a head cold but that should not affect my violin playing.... (unless I can't hear.. LOL... but that will be my excuse... ha ha ha). 

Just kidding, of course.   

I am stuck at the office and my work is caught up, I wish I was at home playing.  I had my grand daughters this weekend and it was a fun time to play holiday music with them and have them recognize the tunes.   It was also fun to play Twinkle softly to them while they were napping and actually have them fall asleep.

Happy Project to all.

Cheers 

Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

intrepidgirl
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Members

Regulars
December 12, 2016 - 3:50 pm
Forum Posts: 290
68sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am busy with school and have exams today and tomorrow.  If I by chance submit something, say, thursday or friday this week, is there a chance it might still sneak in the final cut? There are not enough hours in the day right now :)

coolpinkone
December 12, 2016 - 4:20 pm
69sp_Permalink sp_Print

@intrepidgirl - I sure hear you on busy time of year.  Hope you have great success with exams and have time to make the project.    I was "lucky, not lucky" to get a bit sick and have a slow work season so I did 99.9 % shopping online... I have never been so ahead of the game.

SO I HAVE NO REASON not to make the deadline.... that is what I keep telling myself.....   :)

intrepidgirl
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Members

Regulars
December 12, 2016 - 5:11 pm
Forum Posts: 290
70sp_Permalink sp_Print

@coolpinkone : I hear you, I guess it is that time of year.  I will see what I can pull together at the last minute, would love to be part of it again!

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 12, 2016 - 7:41 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
71sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, I just sprended (sprent?) my contribution. I wish it could have been better...just didn't have the time to practice as much as I should have. I wanted to participate, nonetheless. Can't wait to see the finished product!

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

coolpinkone
December 13, 2016 - 3:51 pm

@intrepidgirl - fingers crossed. Go get 'em on your exams. Merry Christmas

@KindaScratchy good job!!!!

I am still sick.  I have sent my submission... red nose and all.  I'd like to say that my excuse is lack of practice, but I did practice.  LOL... so I must just suck.  LOL. My real "excuse" is that I was sick and had to record sitting down.  I can't play violin sitting down .. If I have screwy bowing before, this only makes my issue worse. :)

I recorded for hours and got two takes.  Both with mistakes. That long intro killed me time wise.  I didn't finish by midnight on the 12th, but I did make it by the 13th.

Project sprending... If I get better before the mixing, I will send a new one.  If not, it's signed, sealed and delivered.   :) gingerbreadhousechristmascandlechristmaswreathsanta3

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 14, 2016 - 1:53 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
73sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for all the submissions everyone.

So far I have 5.
I'm sorry for expecting so much but 5 is depressing for me. This is not meant to be negative but hopefully some of you are planning on submitting your recordings and haven't gotten around to it.

So far,

terezka = 3 videos
Eudora = 1 video
Bill = 1 video
Diane = 1 video
Paul P = 5 videos

Thank you guys so much. I'll add mine soon.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 14, 2016 - 8:37 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
74sp_Permalink sp_Print

C'mon folks! Please submit more videos...Pierre needs to cover up my caterwauling. 

lumpy-2134fainting-1344violin_girl

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2016 - 3:38 am
Forum Posts: 886
75sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was going to video the solo part (that's the only one I could manage without a lot of practice) but couldn't get round to it before the deadline.

If there's more time allowed I can try doing it today (though I guess you'll already have plenty of people playing that part).

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2016 - 7:49 am
Forum Posts: 886
76sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK. Pierre, you should have a pm with a link in it. :)

Hope I'm not too late!

coolpinkone
December 15, 2016 - 12:43 pm

@Fiddlerman 

Pierre...I sent one...did you get mine????

IMG_0109.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

coolpinkone
December 15, 2016 - 12:53 pm

IMG_0110.JPGImage Enlarger@Fiddlerman I am re sending my file.  I took a copy of my sent sprend receipt this time as last time you didn't get mine either.  I sent the first one on Tuesday and another copy is spreading as I type this.  Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Toni

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 15, 2016 - 1:24 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
79sp_Permalink sp_Print

coolpinkone said
IMG_0110.JPGImage Enlarger@Fiddlerman I am re sending my file.  I took a copy of my sent sprend receipt this time as last time you didn't get mine either.  I sent the first one on Tuesday and another copy is spreading as I type this.  Please let me know if I am doing something wrong.

Toni  

Sorry Toni. I downloaded your file on the 13th and it stayed in the downloads folder. I moved it to the right folder now. Glad you caught that. You did nothing wrong. I also checked to see if I left any other submissions in the download folder but did not. So we have 7 submissions now with Jims recent one.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Robyn.fnq
Queensland, Australia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2016 - 9:17 pm
Forum Posts: 587

I sent mine!

Did you not receive it?

If you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: stringy
Guest(s) 76
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7830
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5361