Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
How did you welcome 2016 ?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 31, 2015 - 7:57 pm
Forum Posts: 3744
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!!

Aussie-land got there before the UK, and at 2pm ( UK time ) I got a 'phone call from our respected member John Luck @Ferret whose clock apparently told him it was 2016 already ( LOL ) and we had a real nice chat - and I even played "Auld Lang Syne" on the viola for him over the 'phone !!!

Just wondering how you all welcomed 2016 - for myself - the new year was "seen-in" at home, with my good lady and a couple of friends - watching the "Jools Holland" show - what a fine musician - not just his own personal ability - but more-so his totally eclectic approach to music - he mixes the "good and greats" with relative newcomers - not necessarily "my style" of course - but by heck I cannot fault any of it - he sure finds GREAT artists for his shows.... ( Jeff Beck, Rhiannon, Tom Jones, Hosier, Ruby Turner... oh the list goes on and on... awesome artists... including, in my ignorance, the "new names" I was unaware of - fantastic.... )

Probably still another 5/6/7 hours (state dependent) USA side - but best wishes to you all, world wide - and have a happy fiddling 2016 .... yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy- anyway - let us all know in what sort of musical fashion you welcomed 2016 !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
January 1, 2016 - 4:22 am
Forum Posts: 886

Happy New Year Bill - and to everyone at Fiddlerman! :)

partyparty

My wife and I celebrated quietly last night with a few drinks and snacks as usual. We gave up waiting for midnight years ago - there doesn't seem much point when there's just the 2 of us - but had an enjoyable time nevertheless.

I must have overdone it with the homebrew because the fireworks from nearby Newcastle at midnight didn't wake me up. laugh

Schaick
Members

Regulars
January 1, 2016 - 8:08 am
Forum Posts: 878

Happy New Year to all!!  

My hubby and I used to celebrate New Year's but we are at present party poopers!!  I was in bed by 10:30, I'm not even sure if my hubby made it to midnight or not.

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
January 1, 2016 - 8:11 am
Forum Posts: 2647

Happy New Year to everyone at "Fiddlerman" and beyond.

Mine was as usual, fell asleep 11:00 watching the old TV series, "Twilight Zone", woke up at 3:15am and went to bed, so I didn't see the New Year come in, but did play my violin for about 5 hours off and on prior to that including changing the tail piece on my, "Frenzo Bartali" violin.

Forgot about, "Auld Lang Syne".

Ken.

BillyG
January 1, 2016 - 9:27 am

hmmm.... this was after I was awake for a full 30 hours.... I won't actually say "enjoy" - but I had to do it...

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
January 1, 2016 - 12:07 pm
Forum Posts: 2113

Great job, Billy @BillyG :)

I stayed up because my dogs don't like the fireworks, but I didn't watch any of the shows like I used to. Instead I spent the day playing the fiddle off and on, didn't do typical practice stuff, like scales and things, but just playing the few songs I know. After a bit of an unusual week (my mom was hit by a truck while walking in a crosswalk on Monday... she's ok, just banged up, but not a good thing to happen to a 70 year old, lol) it was nice to just have a normal day again, lol.

☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆
World's Okayest Fiddler
☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆

AnnyJ
Members

Regulars
January 1, 2016 - 5:00 pm
Forum Posts: 262

Don't seem like the lack of sleep affected your playing any @BillyG . Sounded great!

Didn't do much for new years, we usually stay up till 4am so it wasn't anything special, except for we let our 8 year old stay up till one yesterday. There was no point in waiting for fireworks though since it was raining, lol. At midnight, the husband decided to listen to about 50 versions of Auld Lang Syne (which reminds me, I was going to look up what that even means) 

@damfino, glad your mom is ok, I'm sure it really scared the both of you though.

Happy New Year! (we need to get a fireworks smiley)

It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself. Johann S.Bach

Fidelestre
Texas
Members

Regulars
January 1, 2016 - 9:35 pm
Forum Posts: 240

@BillyG , Very nice playing - thank you for sharing this very appropriate tune for New Years!

@damfino , Am glad your mom was not seriously injured. What an awful experience, especially now during the Christmas season.

My New Year's Eve was quiet. Played violin, worked on transcribing a fiddle tune recorded locally, and was asleep before midnight.

pky
Members

Regulars
January 2, 2016 - 12:27 am
Forum Posts: 969

We toasted for the new year at 12 midnight, then followed by my daughter's vomiting around 12:30 (she might have drunk it too fast and the bubbles pushed back up?),  and clean it up till 1:30am and went to bed around 2:30am. Btw, I reconnected with several long lost friends and chatted a little.

Then woke up around 8am, watched a little Chinese soap opera, woke my daughter up around 10:30am and headed to China Town to have dim sum to celebrate. It was pretty busy there and watched some lion dance. The lion dance team was actually pretty famous, it's from San Francisco area and had won second prize in world lion dance contest. We are lucky to see it right in front of us. They did a great performance! After that, we shopped a little . Bought a birthday cake for my daughter, too, but will save it for tomorrow. Btw, Phoenix Bakery is a famous bakery in Los Angeles China town that is famous for their Strawberry cake. WE didn't get that one because they are usually gone before noon. We got 3 lache (milk) cake to try. Then we headed home and shopped some more for grocery and goodies at 99 ranch. We munched on shrimp chips on the way home. Then we stopped at Walmart, my husband went to get milk and eggs and hay for the guinea pig, and I took a nap (I am still adjusting to jetlag).

Right now, after a warm shower I am in my cozy bed reading FM forum posts and watching my Chinese opera again:))

Once again, happy new year before it's over!

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 2, 2016 - 6:44 am
Forum Posts: 16430
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for that Bill and I too am very happy to hear that your mom is OK Mandy. That must have been scary.

We had high hopes and plans. Our sail club has a social sailing cruise event on the night of the 31st and we were going to sail the boat to that lake the evening before "after work". The problem was that the boat would have been anchored unattended till we got back after work on the 31st...... In the end, we just ended up doing the later part of our traditional New Years Eve plan. We watched our daughter sing at the Marriott with a lot of friends until about 12:30-1AM..... Hugged a lot of people and did not get drunk. ;)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
January 2, 2016 - 2:56 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Happy New Year to all.

Nice to hear what every was up to.. or down to.. ect. :)

Mandy I am sorry about your mom... wow.. that was quiet shocking . ..I am so glad she is ok.

Great video Bill.... back at ya... I feel like a chump for not recording much lately. The good news is that I play as much as ever ... even more.

I did my best to play some violin.. I made a yummy soup..... I toasted to the New Yorkers at 9 pm with my champagne.   I went to bed... tried to stay off Facebook.. got a call from my daughter at 11 pm.... we had some champagne and giggles.

I got up on New years day and ran a 5k in 36 degrees temps...(that's cold for me.. )...

And the year starts with lots of musical and best wishes  for successful violin journeys for us all.

I am working on some of the stuff I was playing before all the Holiday tunes captured me....

Hallelujah, Game of Thrones, Let it be, Imagine, Yesterday, Clair de Lune (easy version)... and a few others.. 

SHIFTING SHIFTING VIBRATO VIBRATO BOWING BOWING  FOURTH FINGER!!!   I am ready and poised for my fifth year to be my best year ever and I hope the same for all of you.

Love and Cheers

Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Leana
Members

Regulars
January 2, 2016 - 4:38 pm
Forum Posts: 227
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm pretty sure we have all seen the Lindsey Sterling videos flying all over the internet of late- She is a master !  I am not- but I was inspired to bring in the New year with this number  LOL  Hope you like it   :)

I swear- someday I will be playing as well as my imagination 

BillyG
January 3, 2016 - 4:34 am
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Utterly amazing @Leana - you've made my day knowing there is someone else as crazy as me out there!!!!   Yayyy - and a good new year back at you

devil-violinclapclapclapbagpipes-1254

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
January 3, 2016 - 10:59 am
Forum Posts: 2113
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks everyone :)  It could have been a lot worse, so in the end it's all good :)  

LOL @Leana That's awesome :)  

☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆
World's Okayest Fiddler
☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
January 3, 2016 - 7:58 pm
Forum Posts: 1760

I'll add my best wishes for your mom, @damfino . Glad she was OK, but it sounds like a very frightening experience for both of you.

@Leana : Was that you? I couldn't tell if it was you or Lindsey. :) But, seriously, what a lovely setting. Were you on vacation or are you lucky enough to live in that tropical paradise?

Thanks for posting your Auld Lang Syne video, Bill. Nicely done! And thanks for starting this thread. It's fun to hear how folks celebrated the New Year.

Mr. Scratchy and I went out for an early dinner then I did an impromptu show on StreetJelly.com. It was a guitar show...I was a little too tired at that point for fiddling.

We did not stay up to ring in the New Year. Haven't done that in quite a long time.

:)

Happy New Year to all my Fiddlerman friends!

cheersdancinbunnydancingbananaviolin-student

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Leana
Members

Regulars
January 3, 2016 - 9:18 pm
Forum Posts: 227
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

valentineviolin - That is the funniest thing I have ever heard !! totally LOL ! (@Leana : Was that you?)

I don't actually live on that beach, but I am lucky to live right across the street from it. Everyday seems like a new year here- 5 parties a day, but no one stays up past 9PM.

I Enjoy this Fiiddllerman community,  and wish you all a LOVELY year with lots of great sound all around !   :)  

I swear- someday I will be playing as well as my imagination 

BillyG
January 4, 2016 - 11:08 am
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for all your New Year News folks !    

It's fun to know how other members of our "family" mark the occasion !    Glad your mum was OK Mandy - @damfino -

...how many days is it to Xmas now ?....   LOL

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 97
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31672
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog, Adityaail
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5355