Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Win the Cecilio CVN-200
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
MacBakam
Mostar Bosnia and Herzegovina

Members
August 15, 2011 - 12:36 pm
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
41sp_Permalink sp_Print

hey,

im fairly new to this forum, but i have foud many things more than helpful, but, i haven't got an opportunity to read about eligibility of those that are outside the US (maybe i wasn't careful in reading so far), but would be apreciated if someone is to explain it.

I play for over 2 years now, and have never tried out a electric violin (not so many cheap ones over here) but i would be glad if i win this one :D

failte!

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 15, 2011 - 1:29 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
42sp_Permalink sp_Print

You would be eligible even in Mostar Bosnia and Herzegovina, however, the electric violin has been given away.

The CVN-200 is the next violin on the list. Check here for details.violin-student

Welcome to the forum.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

violinnewbee24

Members
August 15, 2011 - 6:28 pm
Forum Posts: 26
43sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi i have never played the violin before but it as always been my favorite instrument. I am searching for a great violin that doesnt cost a fortune. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

David Burns
Winfield, Missouri

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
August 16, 2011 - 12:53 am
Forum Posts: 425
44sp_Permalink sp_Print

violinnewbee24 said:

Hi i have never played the violin before but it as always been my favorite instrument. I am searching for a great violin that doesnt cost a fortune. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!!!!

As a rule, a great violin costs a fortune. If you have never played, I would suggest borrowing one from someone that you know, renting a student violin from a music shop, or buying a cheap internet violin. Play on the violin for a while, until your skill out paces the instrument. Then shop for an intermediate violin, you will want to inspect it, play it, ask questions about it. Find a violin shop in your state, you will be able to hold a dozen violins and compare them. I bought a $100 violin from the internet, I played it for about a month and realized I needed something more. I still have my cheap Chinese violin, I still play it. I can bring it to work and not worry about it.

Dave

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 16, 2011 - 7:19 am
45sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dave is right. However many people go Daves route and buy a cheap violin until they feel ready to upgrade. I actually believe that some of these fiddles are so good that you may not feel the need to upgrade. The problem is that you can't test them out before ordering them online. If one person gets a great violin from a manufacture and you order the exact same one there is no guarantee that it will be as good. They are made of wood which is a live material and never exactly the same. Also the bridges and sound-posts are cut fast and differ greatly from one to another. The strings are the cheapest possible and the chin-rests are very flat. These things are easy enough to change though. However, a violin with little, or a bad sound is very difficult to change.

Still, if I knew that I could get a CVN200 that sounds just as good as the one that I have at home, I would order another one and bring it to my luthier for a new sound-post. Even though I have a great violin, I really like the sound of this one and am pretty sure that it would sound many times better if the post was in the right position. It's too short now and very close to the f-hole. Also, playing in a violin makes an enormous difference. They need to be played on to open up.

violinnewbee24

Members
August 16, 2011 - 3:00 pm
46sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you! I have been looking online and found one that you have reviewed for $99 as at least a good beginner violin and to fiddle around with until i get the hang of it. Thabks agin this has helped alot!!!

violinnewbee24

Members
August 16, 2011 - 3:01 pm
47sp_Permalink sp_Print

Soory that is suppose to be Thanks!

David Burns
Winfield, Missouri

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
August 16, 2011 - 7:33 pm
Forum Posts: 425
48sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't get me wrong, my blue $100 special is not a redheaded step child...lol. I still love it. The instrument and I worked together to discover I still want to play violin. When I play it I still smile!

laugh

Dave

violinnewbee24

Members
August 16, 2011 - 8:14 pm
49sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had 2 uncles that could play anything in front of them and watching them play made me want to learn how. I love the way the violin sounds. So i have picked that as a good first instrument to learn. My only problem is learning how to read music i have never got the hang of that yet.frown

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 16, 2011 - 9:35 pm
50sp_Permalink sp_Print

Try my Violin Fingering Game and the Rhythm Counting game. Look at the Fingering charts and Rhythm and counting chart too.

All these and more can be found on the top menu under Learning Tools.

Hope it helps

Paul
Indiana

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
August 17, 2011 - 11:48 am
Forum Posts: 157
51sp_Permalink sp_Print

David
You said that you take your chinese fiddle to work and play it there. I'm a bit concerned. You're a lineman, I hope you aren't playing on top of a poll. :).... Of course the sound would really carry from up there.

Huey142
Melaka,Malaysia

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
August 29, 2011 - 2:18 am
Forum Posts: 159

Ok. This is a random question. Fiddlerman, why do you only purchase Cecilio violins? I mean I went to the website where you bought it and I saw there are other brands like the Mendini but so far I only see your reviews on cecilio violins. Is cecilio better than mendini by chance? :)

Huey142
Melaka,Malaysia

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
August 29, 2011 - 2:22 am
53sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh I have one more question. What does CVN stands for?And why are there so many series like CVN 100, CVN 200 and more? Sorry I am really a beginner so I don't know a lot. >.<

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 29, 2011 - 2:25 am
54sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mendini is made by the same company but is their cheap version.

I didn't pick the violins myself, Cecilio sent them to me to do reviews in which I can do whatever I want with afterwards. I also told them that I would be completely honest about the reviews just in case they were terrible. Turns out I think that they are terrific value for the money.

Huey142
Melaka,Malaysia

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
August 29, 2011 - 2:42 am
55sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ouhh I see. Thanks for answering my question. I was ,as usual, curious again.  :)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 153
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309