Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman's 2014 Group Christmas Project - We Wish You a Merry Christmas
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 (18 votes) 
Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
November 24, 2014 - 7:29 pm
Forum Posts: 595
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
81sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cabin version clip sent and now in MP4 version... Now what's this I hear about other "projects"?

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
November 25, 2014 - 2:55 am
Forum Posts: 3744
82sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ripton - they are "mini projects" with no end date - just add stuff any time- visit

https://fiddlerman.com/forum/s.....ject-here/

and you'll find links to things like the can-can, ashokan, halloween, scarborough fair, red river valley - it goes on......

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 26, 2014 - 9:42 am
Forum Posts: 16429
83sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tyberius said
My Daughter and I will attempt it this weekend. If for some strange reason, it looks like she is the only one playing, there must be some technical difficulty on your end.

violin-studentpink-violin-girl

LOL Tyberius,

I am sure that it will be great. Thanks, I appreciate it!

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 26, 2014 - 9:43 am
84sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ripton said
Cabin version clip sent and now in MP4 version... Now what's this I hear about other "projects"?

Thank you Ripton. I have it :)

Barry
Members

Regulars
November 26, 2014 - 3:56 pm
Forum Posts: 2690
85sp_Permalink sp_Print

Im going to try and knock this out tomorrow. Sorry, wont be no tree and such..been putting in long hours this week on a remodel. Can tell Im not young anymore..used to go at it all day then go back at night..  10 hours is about enough to kill me now..lol

I'll be working a few hours tomorrow (thanksgiving) as well but I think I can squeeze it in.

Happy Holidays all

gingerbreadhousechristmascandle

There is no shame in playing twinkle, youre playing Mozart

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 26, 2014 - 10:35 pm
86sp_Permalink sp_Print

No worries. :)

Barry
Members

Regulars
November 27, 2014 - 1:34 pm
87sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said
No worries. :)

I sent it, let me know that you got it. Sorry if it didnt look real festive, but its the music that counts, right ?

violinchristmaswreath

iBud
Honolulu, HI
Members

Regulars
November 27, 2014 - 9:50 pm
Forum Posts: 376
88sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aloha @Fiddlerman,

I was planning on knocking this out this weekend, due to it being the long kind, but I did shot a video and my bowing is still not where it should be.  Plus, I don't sound as good to the mic as I sound when I play hahaha laugh  I still plan on getting something shot - hopefully I can improve in the next couple of days.  I have shot another video, of me playing iBud's Reel.  It's not the best, and I was leaning back in my leather chair, so I know that my posture sucks, but I really enjoy the tune and I hope y'all do as well.  Here it is (and yes, I have my Buccaneers Super Bowl Champions hat on cool)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....e=youtu.be

Keep-Calm-and-Fiddle-On-small-2.jpg

BillyG
November 28, 2014 - 10:25 am
89sp_Permalink sp_Print

Latest score:  Bill 1, Technology 0 ( after a lot of "extra time" )

Vln-1 submission :

(1) Walk down to local primary school.  (2) Mug a kid and steal his Christmas "jester's hat" (well, I asked the teacher really!).  (3) Walk back  (4) Move lappy to extension (5) Set up cam and mic  (6) Where's my headphones, eventually find them.  (7) Struggle to get jester's hat on head (5 sizes too small) (8) Do 3 video takes. (9) Select the best, convert to mp4 file.  Cool.  All that took 15 minutes.

Now sprend the file.   4 hours and like 8 failed attempts later....  FINALLY it gets sent, and that takes another full 50 minutes for the 70Mb file.   Man.   It's not a problem with "sprend" - it's my crappy internet connection.

It's a lovely day here, low mid-afternoon sun, I love living here, but by heck, we could do with improved broadband in this rural location.   Here's a (not very sharp) pic of my village at about 3pm today - 

scourie.JPGImage Enlarger

...Anyway, time to have a stab at a vln 2 or orther part....

Grrrrrrr.......dunnodunnodunno

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

VickieD
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2014 - 10:51 am
Forum Posts: 130
90sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill, your village is so beautiful and looks very peaceful.semiquaver-1214

"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?
~~Albert Einstein

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
November 28, 2014 - 8:33 pm
Forum Posts: 1760

@Fiddlerman Pierre: Are you sure you want MPEG-4 files? When I export from Adobe Premiere to MPEG-4 it makes a very small, low resolution file.

I tried setting the dimensions to the minimum you specified (640x480), but Premiere tells me that those dimensions are invalid for the format.

Is anyone else finding the same thing or is just me?

I usually export to MPEG-2, which results in a decent quality HD video.

I did videos for violin 1 and 3, and will send you both the MPEG-4 an MPEG-2 versions of each so you can see what I mean. Hopefully, you can use the higher quality MPEG-2s.

Maybe this is a Mac vs. PC issue?

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
November 29, 2014 - 1:37 am
Forum Posts: 1817
92sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Bill, OMG, you have no issues at all do you. Guess what I did!?. Oh never mind you'd never guess anyway, I'll just confess. cheers

I shot about 16 takes of the Christmas video submission thing, well the last one seemed pretty good, I was recording on my video cam and same time recording the sound track on Audacity (better mic, the Snowball) and it was really easy to sync up. All finished and exported it to mp4 like FM wanted, hit the send button and Sprend did the rest. Well, I sent the vid to Toni and asked if she thought is was ok, she says, yea, it sounded great but didn't you play the second part twice one right after the other? b-slap

So I go and look/listen.  Holy Crap! Yes I did. How is this possible? dazed

Now I have to hustle to shoot another video, make sure I don't play double back to back second parts and then do all of it all over again! LOL

Don't tell Pierre, I'm waiting for an email from him pointing out that fact. LOL

facepalm

I am so "old timers" condition... LoL duncecap

At least I can play it! dancingdancingdevil-violindevil-violindevil-violinparty

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

BillyG
November 29, 2014 - 3:41 am
93sp_Permalink sp_Print

Arggggggggggggghhhhh  facepalmfacepalmfacepalm @cdennyb ......  put it down to a "senior moment" - that's what I do...

But well-caught, and just in time !

thumbs-upthumbs-upthumbs-up

MarkB
Beaver Falls, PA, USA
Members
November 29, 2014 - 5:13 pm
Forum Posts: 24
94sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman,  I think I sent you a link to 2 video files in dropbox.  Please let me know if you got them and they will work.  That's the first time I ever used dropbox.

KitsapFG
Poulsbo, Washington
Members
November 29, 2014 - 7:08 pm
Forum Posts: 18
95sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello everyone!  First time posting in the forum and first time participating in a Fiddlerman video events.   Sent Pierre a drop box link to my videos of violin parts 1, 2, and 3.   Looking forward to seeing the finished product with everyone's contributions all blended together.  :)

Barry
Members

Regulars
November 29, 2014 - 8:01 pm
96sp_Permalink sp_Print

KitsapFG said
Hello everyone!  First time posting in the forum and first time participating in a Fiddlerman video events.   Sent Pierre a drop box link to my videos of violin parts 1, 2, and 3.   Looking forward to seeing the finished product with everyone's contributions all blended together.  :)

welcome aboard Laura !!

wookieman
Tennessee, USA
Members

Regulars
November 29, 2014 - 11:36 pm
Forum Posts: 277
97sp_Permalink sp_Print

All right, I'm admitting defeat here. I wanted to participate, but I just haven't had the chance. I have three finals due this week (each of which is a 10-20 page paper) so I just don't see myself getting the recording done in the next 48 hours. Yes, I know, I'm saddened, but the good news is that I will degrade the quality of the show at all. Good luck to all, I should be better able to participate in the next one

There is no failure, only results.

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2014 - 2:28 pm
Forum Posts: 1817
98sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I'm officially "submitted". sleep

I managed two recordings on the electric and for what it's worth I played them at the same time to hear if they were in harmony and they actually didn't sound too bad together. I can now say I officially participated in the Christmas project 2014. 1st-place

Good luck Pierre on your mixing. Forget that first one I sent, in fact if I were you, I'd delete it as quickly as possible so the incriminating evidence that I'm loosing my damn mind won't leak out anywhere else. LoL

thumbs-up

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2014 - 2:31 pm
Forum Posts: 1731
99sp_Permalink sp_Print

KitsapFG said

well done Laura, glad you could make it

I am amazed at how old people of my age are.....

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2014 - 3:12 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi! I've just sent V1. Tried to learn V2 as well, but it didn't happen, sorry. It's in AVI format, because when i tried to convert it - progrmms reduced the quality tremendously, no matter what settings i choose (i'm talking about sound). If it's critical - i can sprend it, but there are some weird clicks...dunnoduncecap

As a tradition, i post vid here. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....LnF0sUTLrs

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 123
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305