FORUM

Please have a look at our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

A A A
Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
A problem corrected
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Avatar
MrYikes
Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
June 4, 2014 - 9:53 am
Member Since: February 11, 2014
Forum Posts: 367
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I had a problem with Rose.  The end button started to rub my neck, just felt odd.  I tried changing the shoulder rest which worked for a while, but then the button would again punch my neck.  I finally looked and saw that the button was tilted up and working itself out of its hole. Which was also the reason that I had to re-tune it so often. I took it apart, cleaned up the hole, packed some sawdust and glue in, used three sizes of drill bits and a file to re-create the cone shape and put it back together.  It worked.  Then suddenly it all came apart as the tailpiece strap stripped its threads and slammed down.  I put on a new strap and all is well now.  I am assuming that the strap was being stripped one thread at a time which caused the button to tilt as the pressure was released and regained.  As I have been changing strings often and doing other adjustments, I probably have aggravated the situation. 

 

edit:hmm, guess I was wrong.  Had to retune this morning.  My button is getting loose again.  Blah.

Avatar
RosinedUp
Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
June 5, 2014 - 2:07 am
Member Since: September 7, 2012
Forum Posts: 985
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I believe that usually end pins are fitted using the same tools (namely a tapered reamer and a peg shaver) as used for fitting tuning pegs.  The two would set you back a minimum of about $70.  It's a good investment if you plan to ever do more than one peg job.

For the reamer, I was able to substitute a 6 mm steel rod wrapped helically with a triangular piece of paper and then with sandpaper.  You could probably use a 1/4" wood dowel such as soundpost stock instead of the rod.  By varying the dimensions of the triangle, you can adjust the taper to match that of whatever end pin you are going to use.   You would need calipers to measure the taper of the pin, and sandpaper to adjust its taper.

If your end pin is long and has a uniform taper, you can wrap the end pin itself in sandpaper in order to form the hole.

Of course you want to avoid making the hole bigger than needed.  If the hole gets too big, you would need to plug it precisely and redrill it.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 231

Currently Online: terezka, BillyG
45 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today lakelivr
Upcoming HeadCheese, Mad_Wed, ButteryStuffs, harvestman, fiddlinmama, kit, makinnoise

Top Posters:

coolpinkone: 3755

Mad_Wed: 2849

Barry: 2661

Fiddlestix: 2637

Oliver: 2439

DanielB: 2379

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1

Members: 3554

Moderators: 0

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 16

Forums: 56

Topics: 6441

Posts: 80317

Newest Members:

Mukundan, MyMing, dbsimon, stirlingite771, mdedmon, coreshanethi

Administrators: Fiddlerman: 11702, KindaScratchy: 1651