Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
2013 Goals
Everyone, lets post our goals and update as we progress
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (6 votes) 
Composer

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
December 10, 2012 - 5:21 am
Forum Posts: 177
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am disillusioned with the instrument.  I'm giving up on 1st position studies.  I've concluded that string crossing and constant tension are the largest impediments to satisfactory progress.   Tone quality has been a real problem too.

I'm going to try rigorous studies on one-string at a time only in 2013.  To me, this is the way it should be in the first place.   Why?  Because the primacy of the shift seems to be the only way to develop the necessary state of being tension free.   I think the physical obstacles are underappreciated for the adult.  Specifically, suppleness in the hand and elasticity in the fingers.  

Scales and arpeggios but only on one string.  And of course it begins on the dreaded G string, a real problem for tone quality too.  Its just much harder to maintain the contact point.  If I was god, I would only play on the D string...its so much easier  Playing all day on the G-string should be considered for capital punishment. 

Thats it.  String crossing has been banned for 2013.  Be gone with ye, an unnecessary complication for now.  I need to play some professional quality romantic Tchaikovsky symphony measures on the G string by year end or the instrument goes into the dumpster.

DanielB
Regulars

Members
December 10, 2012 - 6:57 am
Forum Posts: 2379
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

A point of historical trivia:  European violins/fiddles originally had 3 strings.  The lower G string was added in the mid 1500s.  Even Amati made some 3 stringers early in his career, before the 4th string became "standard". 

If I recall correctly, you can blame the G string on the Medici family.  LOL

"This young wine may have a lot of tannins now, but in 5 or 10 years it is going to be spectacular, despite the fact that right now it tastes like crude oil. You know this is how it is supposed to taste at this stage of development." ~ Itzhak Perlman

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
December 10, 2012 - 5:44 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

Composer said
...Thats it.  String crossing has been banned for 2013. ...

duncecapfainting-1344 You are too cruel to yourself!dunno 

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
December 10, 2012 - 8:46 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Vibrato... Vibrato.... Faster music reading skills ... Understand and apply timing correctly.....loose the death grip. And improve 100% over last year.

This year will freaking rock!

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
December 10, 2012 - 9:12 pm
Forum Posts: 1817
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

Composer said
I am disillusioned with the instrument.  I'm giving up on 1st position studies.  I've concluded that string crossing and constant tension are the largest impediments to satisfactory progress.   Tone quality has been a real problem too.

I'm going to try rigorous studies on one-string at a time only in 2013.  To me, this is the way it should be in the first place.   Why?  Because the primacy of the shift seems to be the only way to develop the necessary state of being tension free.   I think the physical obstacles are underappreciated for the adult.  Specifically, suppleness in the hand and elasticity in the fingers.  

Scales and arpeggios but only on one string.  And of course it begins on the dreaded G string, a real problem for tone quality too.  Its just much harder to maintain the contact point.  If I was god, I would only play on the D string...its so much easier  Playing all day on the G-string should be considered for capital punishment. 

Thats it.  String crossing has been banned for 2013.  Be gone with ye, an unnecessary complication for now.  I need to play some professional quality romantic Tchaikovsky symphony measures on the G string by year end or the instrument goes into the dumpster.

You are your own worst enemy...facepalm

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

fishnrodds
northwest minnesota
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2012 - 9:25 pm
Forum Posts: 117
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

for me, goals for 2013....

I really really need to organize my practice time so I get everythnig I can play played a couple times a week or more, I have forgot that I know stuff, dangerous..

I want to know one cajun type song and one more waltz this year.. no more.

I want to play what I already know very well, if i get my practice time organized a bit, this will happen, confidence slips when improvement is slow in coming.

I want to continue sharing this gift, and it is a gift, this thing called music, to bring it to people who cannot do it for themselves, to teach and help people get started on their paths, to make people stop and think, to make children smile, dance and sing, to keep my inner child within arms reach, always having fun..IF you can make one person smile, your effort is worth every minute....fiddlin in my world.... Paul

Annon

Members
December 11, 2012 - 10:00 pm
Forum Posts: 36

eat less

exercise more

kiss my wife more

kiss the dog less

oh yeah....and have more fun playing the fiddle

beg

99 % of the people I meet are self absorbed human waste sphincters.
1 % play fiddle

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2012 - 10:12 pm
Forum Posts: 1281
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the Forum Anon! I think its hilarious that you chose that name. Eventually we will figure it out and Anon wont fit anymore. Its nice to have you here.

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 12, 2012 - 1:17 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like your goals Annon,

Is your wife jealous of the dog? LOL

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

HP
Trondheim, Norway
Members

Regulars
December 12, 2012 - 5:00 pm
Forum Posts: 404

A few more goals for 2013.

- Learn more Norwegian folk music pieces.

- learn double stops and triple stops. 

- start learning vibrato. "Master" vibrato in 2014.

- Enjoy the fiddle as much as I can.

'Armed with theory, practice becomes meaningful. Through practice, theory becomes fulfilled.' - Egon von Neindorff.

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 12, 2012 - 7:57 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. To get through one song without scratching, squeaking or bouncing.

2. To smile when making a video. :)

3. To jam with a few other people in person. (Should be able to check that one off in January.)

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Moris

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
January 24, 2013 - 10:25 am
Forum Posts: 140
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great goals everyone, and you guys really inspire me! This 2013 I want to really focus on music, and keep practicing the Violin, and as I mentioned on another post, re-learn the Piano. I also want to get my studio up and rolling, so I can record music with friends. I have so many great ideas, and thankfully I have time now to make those ideas a reality. However, my main Violin goal for this year is:

TO LEARN VIBRATO!!!!

I must say that I have tried, but I have not tried hard enough. So apart from getting more comfortable playing different pieces, I want to start doing some vibrato, but once I start doing that, it all goes down hill :-)

Oh, I really need a new bow!

"No one can do everything, but everyone can do something."

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 27, 2013 - 4:31 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

I got to try a left handed violin at the NAMM show this year and I know can imagine what it would be like to learn vibrato all over again. LOL
Good luck with that. :-)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Tyberius
Members

Regulars
January 28, 2013 - 1:24 am
Forum Posts: 555

For me, here's my wants for 2013. better late then never.

Above all, lose the white knuckle grip THEN keep improving the flexibility in my left hand and fingers, strongly focus on vibrato and finally controlled bow pressure and placement

Of course, keep working on tone, finger placement and Etudes/Scales.

"I find your lack of Fiddle, disturbing" - Darth Vader

JoeP

Advanced member
Members
February 1, 2013 - 10:54 am
Forum Posts: 96
35sp_Permalink sp_Print
  1. Vibrato
  2. Play at son's wedding
  3. Play in public with fiddle ensemble
  4. Play in a park
  5. Publish new virtual ensemble video
  6. learn to play faster fiddle tunes
  7. learn to improvise ornaments and double stops
coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
February 1, 2013 - 12:45 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well a month into the year.... I have practiced more.... no vibrato yet.

Turned a little corner and put a lot of screechy-ness behind me. 

Going to start working on "The Titanic Song"  (Sorry Kells).

Going to start working on Amazing Grace.

Today I am reviewing the very early lessons from my Essential Strings book.  ( I need work on counting, toe tapping or whatever if I am ever going to ready and play the notes for the required amount of time).

Happy with my progress, but need more and need more help.  Maybe it is time for me to be in lessons again.

and..... oh yeah... I have a  cello coming next Tuesday or Wednesday.... facepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalm

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
February 4, 2013 - 2:51 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

coolpinkone said

and..... oh yeah... I have a  cello coming next Tuesday or Wednesday.... facepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalmfacepalm

surprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprisedsurprised

N-I-C-E!!!! Congrats! Hope to see You play it!

Jerusha77

Members
February 11, 2013 - 2:44 pm
Forum Posts: 21
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. learn vibrato

2. become confident in both 2nd and 3rd positions on the finger board

Everyone good luck with their goals! :)

Tomi124

Members
February 14, 2013 - 9:20 pm
Forum Posts: 21
39sp_Permalink sp_Print

1.Mastering Czardas ( The super fast parts)

2.Getting better in my finger dexterity

3.??im not sure if i have one 3rd

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 92
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5306