Please have a look at our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.
All the missed notes are mine that more practice will correct and I might also have some fine adjustments to the setup to make. After repairing 4 cracks in the bowl, I removed the old finger board and carved a shim to level the neck and then I cut a slotted fingerboard to fit, hammered in the frets, leveled the frets then glued on the fretboard. A taller nut and bridge were required so I carved and fitted them and installed a set of GHS A240 ultralight strings at 09-13-20-32 guages. I still have some fake Mother of Pearl and Tortoise Shell edging to cut, shape and glue in before the restoration is totally finished and much more technique to learn about playing this kind of mandolin. If you cannot afford a bowlback mandolin, find one in distress and bring it back to life it is very rewarding. I bought this instrument for $125 and may have spent that much in tools and supplies to get it back in shape. More details of this restoration may be found in the Mandolin portion of the Forum entitled "OPEN SALAMONE" ... I am not a luthier but have a background as a HS Shop teacher though the only power tools used were a bandsaw and belt sander used to rough out the pieces of wood needed. Hand carving shaping and sanding did the rest.
Hey Ray ,
Love yer work buddy ...very cool ...sounds great too ...
Setting at 2 mm is very demanding and can end up chasing buzz etc to a point of distraction ... you've got more patiance than i it seems 'cause i defer to 2 1/2 mm to avoid the extra challenge myself ...lazy me ...
Know yer doin' bridges as well so here's a pic of the ebony taper bridge on my 1920 Victor Natural by Montgomery Wards fer yer archives ....had as much fun restoring it as well ...
Most Users Ever Online: 231
Currently Online: cashierjim
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 1
Newest Members:Adopevile, coryfn11, tomus4, HarriettLic, Jamessnize, jannatv69
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 11865, KindaScratchy: 1664, BillyG: 1775