Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
100 Days of Practice Challenge!!!
Title says it all, do your best to practice for 100 days :D Post your progress!
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (3 votes) 
damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
January 24, 2018 - 6:23 pm
Forum Posts: 2113
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay :D  @coolpinkone pink-violin-girl dancinbunnydancingbanana

I started a new scale book this week since I had nowhere else to go in the old one. Looking forward to digging into that one more. Also started a new etude, ever working on my shifting, too. 

I have a few goals I hope to achieve by the end of my 100 days, but it's hard for me to stay focused, so some of my goals may change along the way.

My practice tonight will be day 16 since I started my counting fresh for the challenge to see where I go with my goals dancinbunnydancingbanana 

☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆
World's Okayest Fiddler
☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆

intrepidgirl
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Members

Regulars
January 24, 2018 - 10:07 pm
Forum Posts: 290
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yep I started on Jan. 9th, and have done at least 15 minutes per day even with days away from home. I like having goals, as I feel I will make measurable progress. Otherwise I will spin my wheels a bit and play the same things for months! (not a bad thing, but not necessarily improving or learning either).

DonnaF

Members
January 24, 2018 - 10:16 pm
Forum Posts: 11
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

This sounds like an excellent challenge!  I am counting today as day 1 or should I say 2?  I did practice yesterday before my lesson.

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
January 25, 2018 - 9:57 am
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

@DonnaF You can choose either as your first day :) I normally practice every day, but the unofficial start date for the facebook challenge was 1/8, so I started my counting there, but there is no set start day for here :D

Whenever people decide to join the challenge just start counting :)  

World's Okayest Fiddler

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
January 25, 2018 - 12:18 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello Hello... Day 2 was 15 minutes of Clair De Lune.

Happy Practice.  I wish I had more time last night... but It was great to be on track with a song that I love.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....ir_de_Lune

English Translation of the original poem

Your soul is a delicate landscape

Where roam charming masks and bergamasques

Playing the lute and dancing and seeming almost

Sad under their whimsical disguises.

While singing in a minor key

Of victorious love and easy life

They don't seem to believe in their happiness

And their song mingles with the moonlight,

With the sad and beautiful moonlight,

Which makes the birds in the trees dream

And sob with ecstasy the water streams,

The great slim water streams among the marbles.

Clair de Lune is a French poem written by Paul Verlaine in 1869. It is the inspiration for the third and most famous movement of Debussy's 1890 Suite bergamasque of the same name. The poem has also been set to music by Gabriel Fauré.

Happy Practice my friends.

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

CyndieZ
Maryland

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
January 25, 2018 - 3:06 pm
Forum Posts: 126
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just saw this today, but count me in! I'll make my start date will be 1/22, and a promise of at least 15 minutes per day although I'm really going to try for 30 minutes on most days. 

I started taking lessons at the beginning of January. I'm working out of both Suzuki and Mark O'Connor books. My teacher seems very knowledgeable but I think I am a challenge for him! I'm not sure he's ever taught a "mature" adult who is a fluent music reader already. So we are still figuring each other out. 

Anyway, this is day 4/100 and I did 30 minutes! Now off to pick up my little grandson from daycare! 

Rock on everyone!

Cyndieviolin

Cyndie 

Come and let us reason together.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 25, 2018 - 3:29 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would love to do it but I've failed at the 30 day challenge one after the other.
:(

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
January 25, 2018 - 3:40 pm
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman Missing some days are ok with this one, haha, just pick back up counting where you left off (I had to just plain miss a day, and then had to settle for just reading my practice books for some because I messed up my left hand and couldn't play) :) Turn all your violin testing into your practice pieces, haha :D  

World's Okayest Fiddler

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
January 25, 2018 - 4:00 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can play 5 days a week without a problem. Probably do anyway. :)
Playing on the weekends can be a problem for now. I am playing catchup on so many things. :(

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

DonnaF

Members
January 25, 2018 - 11:21 pm
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

@damfino Ok, I will count my start day as 1/23.  This puts me on day 3.  I played with my local strings group.  I love playing in the group - it makes me pay attention to little (ok not so little) things like counting and such haha!  I need to get better at that one!  It is a good thing we are mostly beginners.

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
January 27, 2018 - 11:41 am
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman Playing 5 days a week isn't bad, though :)

@DonnaF Sounds like fun!!

This week I've been focusing on my new scale book, which the first page has me focusing on long bows. The actual scale isn't hard, but it's a fun exercise and I'm feeling more comfortable with it. 

Also focusing on my shifting, and my etude. Not feeling my etude for this week, I think it's going be one I learn just for the sake of learning and finally moving on from it. 

Was supposed to go see my duo partner play in one of his bands last night, but I didn't have anyone to watch my dog who's been having seizure issues (they don't happen often or last long, but I don't like leaving him alone too long in case they get worse) so I just stayed home and noodled around on my fiddle while hanging out with my dog, which was fine with me. 

Today is my day 19 of 100, and will be noodling around with some Beatles tunes. 

World's Okayest Fiddler

coolpinkone
January 27, 2018 - 12:55 pm
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I am  12 /19 days on my original or 4/4 for my restart...  Regardless tracking and doing the challenge has me motivated and playing more.  That Part I like.

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
January 29, 2018 - 1:51 am
Forum Posts: 3744
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

At day 21 - this is the current state of one of the goals I have set myself - one of the tunes from "The Hobbit" - Over the Misty Mountains Cold (comp: Howard Shore).   It's only the first part, the second shifts up an octave to use 3rd pos, and SLIGHTLY alters the timing of the notes - it's like they "slip" or are "shifted by one beat" to impart a different rhythm/feel...  I'll be working on that next......

The backing track you hear was created in MuseScore - in retrospect I could have made it slightly more present - but no matter - 

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

DonnaF

Members
January 30, 2018 - 9:43 am
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi BillyG and the rest.  You mentioned the background track in your post from MuseScore.  Is this something you found there or created?  If you can create your own backing tracks is there a link to a forum that explains how or a tutorial on the MuseScore site?  I am asking because in the local group I mentioned I play mostly second violin and I have troubles practicing without the first part playing.   I am pretty sure I am not the only one.  It would be incredible if we could get tracks so we can all practice our parts before we come together if that makes sense.

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
January 30, 2018 - 11:07 am
35sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yesterday was my 21 of 100 - Did my Irish duo practice, and we are starting to sound fairly decent with Tell Me Ma, I just want it in a different key, D isn't totally comfortable for my voice.

I then did my fiddle lesson, which turned into a voice lesson since my teacher also teaches voice. It was my first ever voice lesson, so she helped me warm up, said I had a pretty decent range, and then worked on Tell Me Ma (oh, did I get tired of singing that song yesterday, haha). B was a really super comfy place for my voice, but not good for fiddling (and she had the capo (?) thing at 9 up the neck of her guitar, I think, haha), so we moved it into C and that was fine, too, and she said it'll be easier for fiddling.

Today I plan on focusing on my fiddle homework of scales and etudes and shifting. 

Hope everyone's challenge is going well :D  

World's Okayest Fiddler

coolpinkone
January 30, 2018 - 2:55 pm
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very very cool that everyone is chugging along.

I have been so busy with work but squeezing in a minimum time.

I am so excited. I took Thursday off for no good reason this week and I already have Friday off... so Thursday is to relax, catch up on chores and paint my picture I am working on, and then on  Friday I am making my own:

AT HOME VIOLIN seminar. 

I will have 3 - 30 minute session.  I will have three lesson plans, with three Goal songs that will include scale work for the songs.

I am excited. I will keep you posted, there might be a 4th session for bowing, shifting and Vibrato.

Then the practice sessions for the next will will be the four lesson plans that I am alternating.  :)

Super excited. 

1/30/2017 - Gather materials for the Seminar.

1/31/2017 - (practice song known song sets)

2/1/2017 - Free play

Toni's AT HOME VIOLIN seminar.  2/2/2018

9:00 am - Lover's Waltz - Scale - videos - play along

9:30 am - Clair De Lune - Scale - Videos - play along

Break -

10:30 am - Beatles Song  or / Midnight on the Water scales - videos -play along

11:00 am - Bowing practice, Vibrato Practice, Shifting

2/3 - Bowing,Shifting, Vibrato

2/4 - Lover's waltz

2/5 - Clair De Lune

2/6 - Beatles

2/7 - free play.

Ferenc Simon
Members

Regulars
January 30, 2018 - 3:01 pm
Forum Posts: 252
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just took out the 'Time to say goodbye' sheet that I thought was too hard like 2 months ago.. and played it, no problems.. double-stops and everything :)

coolpinkone
January 30, 2018 - 3:24 pm
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fantastic...don't you just love that!!!

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
January 30, 2018 - 5:05 pm
Forum Posts: 1692
39sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yesterday was day 16 for me, and I posted a video of an entire movement of a piece from an orchestra rehearsal. My 100 days is going to include five concerts with three different orchestras, so a lot of the time is being spent on orchestra repertoire.

So my status is as follows:

Next orchestra concert: Feb. 10 - Tchaikovsky, Sleeping Beauty Suite (with three additional movements from ballet inserted); Respighi, Vetrate di Chiesa.

Techniques being worked on: reworking C string vibrato; cleaning up string crossing; chromatic scales up to 8th position.

Solo repertoire currently being worked on: Clarke Viola Sonata (polishing first movement), Schubert Arpeggione Sonata (learning first movement), Walton Viola Concerto (learning second movement).

Solo repertoire goals for 100 day challenge:

Clarke sonata - make first movement performance-ready, get a good start on learning second movement

Schubert sonata - be able to play entire piece in tempo (to polish over the summer)

Walton concerto - be able to play entire piece, sub tempo but without having to pause and think (i.e. get a good start for further work)

Clarke, Passacaglia on an Old English Tune - learn piece and be able to play in tempo (to polish over the summer)

Bruch, Romanze - review occasionally to keep in repertoire, get back to where I can perform on two weeks notice

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
January 30, 2018 - 6:26 pm
Forum Posts: 595
40sp_Permalink sp_Print

Day 21, I am completely amazed at how well I am sticking to this. After playing only about 3 days in the last year this is a great, I tell you, a really really great, I'm so impressed it's so great you gotta believe me it so great, I tell you it's a great improvement... Hope to get some new video up soon. Cheers and keep up the good work everyone. 

(sorry for the DjT impersonation, getting carried away with all the talk about the really big speech tonight)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309