Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
April 2015 - What are we working on.
projects, songs, techniques.
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
April 11, 2015 - 5:04 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

clap

Just thought we could move to April 2015.    Welcome all new members and  everyone.

What are we working on?

Of course many of us are working on House of the Rising Sun.  YAY.. (that is my challenge)

In another group I was trying to do a new challenge of memorize and play a new song a week.  I had the three songs picked out.  And I never made it each week enough to post but these were the songs. 

Hanging Tree (week three)

Tennessee Waltz (week two)

Snow Deer (week one)

I would say I am about 2 weeks away from not needing the sheet on them   I am probably closer than that... but getting there.  And I will add them to the Under the belt songs.

And then just my Usual  sets.  ( I couldn't resist christmas music last week, I had accidentally  fingered notes to The first Noel and it started me thinking of Holiday tunes)

Techniques for April.

.... I need to shift.   

....I need to use 4th finger ...more more.. I am a bit  more... thanks to March goals.

.... vibrato.... it's coming... sloooowly.

.... and those double stops... this is a newer bit for me... finally I have decided I am a bit interested. 

Happy April practice and playing.

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
April 11, 2015 - 5:29 pm
Forum Posts: 1817

I'm certainly about 3 years late getting around to my required study. dunno

Reading sheet music... oh my.

You are light years ahead of me Toni and for that I applaud your ability. I'm using the new project as a stepping stone and beginning point for learning to sight read from sheet music. cheerleader

Although it helps a little that I know the basic note progression on this tune, I find that I seem to have absorbed a little note identification as I've been going along without even realizing or intentionally trying to read.blink

I have two tunes I will attempt to learn, study and memorize, and eventually record and that is: All of Me by John Legend and this tune project. Those 2 should keep me quite busy this summer refining and getting perfect. Of course as we go onward, we can't forget those tunes we already learned so that just adds to our practice time. dazed

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

coolpinkone
April 11, 2015 - 6:13 pm

Hardly light years Denny.   I am quite behind as a self teacher.   I should be so much further ahead.  

Good luck on your April through summer projects.  I thought it was great practicing  House with you last week. 

mischa91
Members

Regulars
April 11, 2015 - 6:22 pm
Forum Posts: 303

I just ordered the book of Harry Potter sheet music which should arrive Monday!  Yay!  I'm also working on part 3 of house of the rising sun, which makes me realise I need the bridge recut for my electric because the double stops were easier on my acoustic with a better cut bridge.  All that and lesson stuff from suzuki book 2.

Schaick
Members

Regulars
April 12, 2015 - 9:57 am
Forum Posts: 878

@coolpinkone I love the idea of these monthly talks!!  Even though some of my March goals - the singing one - have fallen through.  

I am concentrating on dynamics, dynamics, dynamics and making the songs I have memorized my own.  

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

Georganne
Members

Regulars
April 13, 2015 - 5:10 am
Forum Posts: 993

I'm working on Fairies Hornpipe for my upcoming recital.  I haven't really started working on House of the Rising Sun yet (yikes) because I was trying to get a good grip on that song.  Also revisiting Lilting Banshee because we are doing it as a group piece for the recital.  I'm working on trying to finish the book I'm working on (Scottish Folk Fiddler Tutor) by the time we have our recital so am working on Caol Muile (The Sound of Mull), Morag of Dunvegan, Duncan Gray, and Drumleys. 

My instructor is starting a jam session on the last Sat. of the month, open to all, not just her students.  I'll go to that and am looking forward to learning more how to play with others. 

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

coolpinkone
April 13, 2015 - 1:10 pm

@mischa91  - Very cool about the HP book coming soon. woo hoo. 

@Schaick  I like the idea of monthly chats to.. not so far to scroll back.   :) And new members can jump in. ;)

@Georganne that sounds lovely.. a jam group!!! 

Fairies Hornpipe... sounds cool. When is your next recital?

Georganne
Members

Regulars
April 13, 2015 - 1:45 pm

coolpinkone said
@mischa91  - Very cool about the HP book coming soon. woo hoo. 

@Schaick  I like the idea of monthly chats to.. not so far to scroll back.   :) And new members can jump in. ;)

@Georganne that sounds lovely.. a jam group!!! 

Fairies Hornpipe... sounds cool. When is your next recital?

May 14th. 

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
April 13, 2015 - 11:56 pm
Forum Posts: 595

House of the Rising Sun, but with a major brain faht. I want to play it a different way, not how Pierre has it arranged. When I go to the track I'd just as well be playing Dixie... Speaking of which I have been doing pretty good with. Thanks Pierre for throwing that score up on Violaman.com

coolpinkone
April 14, 2015 - 1:50 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Georganne - cool.   Can't wait to hear your at your next recital.   :)

@Ripton  working on House also.  Took a break from it last night. Will hit it hard tonight.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
April 14, 2015 - 4:29 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ripton said
House of the Rising Sun, but with a major brain faht. I want to play it a different way, not how Pierre has it arranged. When I go to the track I'd just as well be playing Dixie... Speaking of which I have been doing pretty good with. Thanks Pierre for throwing that score up on Violaman.com

Come-onnnnnnnnnn man!!!!!

At least give it a shot before saying that you want to play it differently. It's my arrangement. :(

facepalm

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
April 14, 2015 - 7:05 pm
Forum Posts: 1817
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like I posted in the other thread...

Those 16th notes on the 2nd page are KILLING ME...

thanks Pierre...facepalm

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

mischa91
Members

Regulars
April 15, 2015 - 8:55 am
Forum Posts: 303
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

My new HP book came and it's a bit wonderful!  I've only had a quick glance through it but it looks playable enough.

I've been concentrating on the bowing for a gavotte for my lesson so haven't been playing much else.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
April 15, 2015 - 10:08 am
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll soon be making a video for those parts Dennis :)
Sorry for killing you. :(

coolpinkone
April 15, 2015 - 12:25 pm
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Pierre...

I am digging the challenge. I mean... back in the Thaxted days... I didn't think I'd make it. In the end I was quite proud to get to play in the project. 

Super excited for the project!

Cheers.

Toni

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
April 15, 2015 - 3:58 pm
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad to hear it Toni. :)

Bill97a
Newcastle. UK.

Members
April 28, 2015 - 6:06 pm
Forum Posts: 1
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am trying to learn the  Skye Boat Song but I also desperately need vibrato. Still shaking and attracting all the cats (not cool ones) in the area. 

Schaick
Members

Regulars
April 29, 2015 - 7:23 am
Forum Posts: 878
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

Schaick said
@coolpinkone I love the idea of these monthly talks!!  Even though some of my March goals - the singing one - have fallen through.  

I am concentrating on dynamics, dynamics, dynamics and making the songs I have memorized my own.  

making the songs I have memorized my own.  

Well that thought lasted a full what week?  Two weeks ago I heard the song Lover's Waltz memorizing it, but concentrating on the bowing while I learn it.  I want it smooth!!

At that jam also heard the song Off to California so of course I am learning this one too.  It is a hornpipe.

Oh but maybe not because I am going to own them from when I start learning them!!  Or at least try.

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

coolpinkone
April 29, 2015 - 1:51 pm
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Schaick 

I like that.. "making the songs that we memorize our own."  I like that.... I have seen my fiddle partner do that for a few years now and I think that is good. 

Godfather.. thats' kinda my thing.. so I need to keep hacking away at it... 

Good to think of it... End of April Goals....(beginning of May)

Bowing straight practice -  Daily ( I am going to put on my metronome and just bow straight,  halves and quarters)

House of the Rising Sun - One week of only practicing House, maybe two. (It was suggessted to me)

Godfather - work on that fourth finger and vibrating.

Ashokan - longer bows less bow direction changes, that advice was given to me last night.

(and my other tunes ... making my own.. Skyeboat, Old Joe Clark, Scarborough, Star of the County, Hanging Tree, Tenn Waltz, Sad Romance, You Raised me up. )

Georganne
Members

Regulars
May 11, 2015 - 12:54 pm
20sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh where'd you get the music for Hanging Tree @coolpinkone ?  I'd love to learn that. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse
Guest(s) 103
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305