Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
January 2015- Goals? 1 month, 2 month, 3 month
goals, 2015, Shifting, vibrato, Street Jelly, learning with friends, self teaching, online learning
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (2 votes) 
caterwaul

Members
January 28, 2015 - 5:46 pm
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This is a great idea - not as easy to slack off when you know your 3 month plans are out there in the public ;P

Since the month is almost over, I'm going to make January's goal simple: "Buy violin". That one's the easy one.

Feb:

• Work on left hand and bow hold
  • Scales and etudes (first thing I downloaded here - thanks Fiddlerman!)
  • Be strict with practice time and get into a routine. Would like to be playing at LEAST an hour a day by end of Feb... 6 days a week?

March:

• Start playing with musician friends - good for feedback and motivation to improve!
  • More scales end etudes, with arps and maybe double stops. We'll see.

Too ambitious for a new fiddler? Thoughts anyone? dunno

ElisaDalViolin

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
January 28, 2015 - 6:17 pm
Forum Posts: 209

@caterwaul There's nothing wrong in being ambitious! :)  

It seems a good plan. My advice is take your time, focus in gaining good habits first, such as hand posture (may take a while). Remember that sometimes in order to go forward we have to take a step back. It can be frustrating but it pays off. Anything you need, we are here to help!

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
January 29, 2015 - 12:13 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

@caterwaul -

I love your goals.  Very focused and awesome!! Never too ambitious. :)

I love your January Goal... can't wait to hear about your new violin.

Cheers....

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

caterwaul

Members
January 29, 2015 - 8:37 pm

coolpinkone said

I love your January Goal... can't wait to hear about your new violin.

Additional January goal:

Gonna try to take some better photos of it this weekend and pop them in my introduction post with info - can't believe I forgot to introduce my violin! duncecap

Jacques
San Diego

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
January 30, 2015 - 4:32 pm
Forum Posts: 210
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

In addition to scales I am also studying harmonized arpeggios. While incorporationing thirds, fourths, fifths and octaves. 

I am on track with my goals but this post is to demonstrate progress that I acknowledge the appropriate terms. I was fiddling the other day (I didn't practice yesterday [sick]) I started harmonizing the arpeggios and it sounded beautiful. I performed a beautiful harmonized étude out on the street earning myself six bucks!

coolpinkone
January 31, 2015 - 3:52 pm
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

as January is ending.  I feel focused and in line with my goals.

Yesterday I watched and participated in SIX of Fiddlerman's videos.  4 vibrato, 3rd position, and fifth position.

I also worked on string changes at the tip of the bow.

I have been putting down my fourth finger more. 

I have signed up to participate in Street Jelly.

I watched the video from Juan on Shifting. Practice a few pieces with a bit of shifting.... FM's Swan Lake arrangement. 

Woo hoo.... I am excited going into February.

Jacques
San Diego

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
January 31, 2015 - 7:40 pm
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

After further investigation I've realized the double stop studies each require a solid foundation for understanding there implementation. Ideally I can spend a week on each set of stops.

Feb. 1-7 : sixths 

Feb. 8-14 : fourths 

Feb 15-21 : thirds 

Feb 22-28 : improvise harmonic scales and arpeggios 

Jacques
San Diego

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 3, 2015 - 5:19 pm
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

Change of plans again. I am going to dedicate a lot of time to playing in Sul. That means utilizing only one string. After jamming today from Sul E to G I've discovered a new doorway through which i can express myself. By playing in Sul, I should be able to harmonize particular tones. 

@Fiddlerman if I play in sul D is it the norm to harmonize a single note on either the G string or A string? Or, does harmony occur as a consistent interval between root notes? Or, can I improvise harmony by means of trial and error - repetition of double stops from sul..?

Paganini was said to shave his strings so that by the time his concerts were nearing an end, he would only have his G string to continue performing on. How incredible is that!?

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 4, 2015 - 10:45 am
Forum Posts: 16430
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jacques said
@Fiddlerman if I play in sul D is it the norm to harmonize a single note on either the G string or A string? Or, does harmony occur as a consistent interval between root notes? Or, can I improvise harmony by means of trial and error - repetition of double stops from sul..?

It's easier to do so. For example, if you are playing Sul D and the G or A is withing the chord of the passage/key you are playing, you can obviously use one of those notes. Especially if the G or A happens to be the base note of the chord. Usually the related third of fifth will work too but as you said, trial and error will help you solve the mystery. Obviously open strings are the easiest but some fingered notes on those strings may not be that difficult.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

coolpinkone
February 9, 2015 - 5:45 pm
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am excited to say that I have Ashokan (easy version) in my head... so I can work on adding my own stuff.   :) cheerleader

I can say I put the fourth finger to work a bit.  (rebellious little criminal)dunno

Vibrato is really pissing me off.  I can do it as long as I don't bow. facepalmfacepalmfacepalm(actually I can get the first finger to vibrate on the G-string... go figure.. that does not help my God father one stinking bit.. )  

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 17, 2015 - 10:49 am
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good news about Ashokan. :)

Be patient with vibrato. Sometimes wanting something too badly is a hinder. It will probably just come some day.

coolpinkone
February 17, 2015 - 1:59 pm
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman I made a video of my vibrato.. I am going to post in Critique corner. (I think.. i made it two days ago but never had the courage yet).

• You know I was very very into learning vibrato that first year.. but I stopped as I knew my hand would not relax....
  • I have delved into it in the second year.. it was a bust...
  • the third year.. a little...
  • But I feel .. I mean.....now I really want it to come.....

Okay.. I am going to put the honking duck video up for critique.   :)  

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 18, 2015 - 10:42 am
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your attitude is fantastic. Bravo!!!
I feel confident that you will achieve your goals...

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
February 22, 2015 - 10:34 am
Forum Posts: 595
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

half way through the quarter and I feel I am progressing towards my goals. I'm looking for the 35 day practice challenge and can't find it. Can anyone help with a link.. 

thanks

ElisaDalViolin

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 22, 2015 - 6:27 pm
Forum Posts: 209

Hey @Ripton,

here is the blog entry and here the forum  topic :)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 23, 2015 - 9:35 am

I'll do it with you. I am ashamed to say that I have not been able to successfully get through a month yet. I am determined to achieve that goal this year. :)

I'll start now but I'll start marking my calendar next Sunday. Anyone else with us?

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
February 23, 2015 - 10:11 pm
Forum Posts: 595
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, FM. I am now on day 8 of the practice but as I did not record my times, I felt only fair to start again yesterday. So today is day 2. I also feel a practice should have some structure to it, so when I do not do my finger & bowing exercises, scales, work a new song or two then rehearse some old songs I've not really "Practiced". That's just my own opinion of my own practice session. Last week I spent my time working out the songs for the StreetJelly set. I'm going to cc this over the the 35day practice challenge thread so as to keep CPO's thread on goals separate... 

Schaick
Members

Regulars
February 24, 2015 - 8:27 am
Forum Posts: 878
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am right on the mark with the 35 day practice challenge!  I have noticed that I am practicing more minutes at a time then I thought.

My goals centered around singing and Maiden's Prayer.  Had my second singing lesson. I am singing in tune!! Yeah.  I am afraid I will not meet my goal of singing solo though.

I have 5 new songs under my belt and the high note -D at the end of Ashokan Farewell.  I can stumble through Fiddlerman's version of Amazing Grace with the 3d position.

Is it possible I wrote the wrong goals?

Oh I have sped up Old Joe Clark, but my daughter listened and said I was playing much faster then 120 beats.  I am excited that I can play that fast but add that to nerves and that must be why I mess up at jam.

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

caterwaul

Members
March 3, 2015 - 12:57 am
39sp_Permalink sp_Print

Reporting in.

Feb has gone well. My practice times aren't regularly 1 hour a day like I'd hoped, but I've been getting better results than I expected so I guess I'm ok with it for now. smile

Need to work more on E string, have some issues now and then with fingering on natural F, almost always hit it slightly sharp. I started with the G string and moved up, so E has had a bit less time than the others. Naturals on the A are similar but not as bad - maybe a hand position thing? I might need to rotate my hand around a little more to get 1st and 2nd fingers closer.

Hopefully heading down to Jervis Bay on the south coast of New South Wales for a few days next week to catch up with a guitarist friend. So I'll be able to cross off the first thing on my list for March!

coolpinkone
March 3, 2015 - 12:09 pm
40sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did good with the first 35 day practice challenge.

I did not succeed in all my violin goals for February.  I had a Street Jelly thing that kept me just rehearsing and not doing so much on the fine tuning of my goals.

But I had some progress.  NO break throughs.

I should still be using the 35 day practice journal, but I play every day for 45 to 60 minutes.   Now what I need to do is make  a  hard core list of what I must learn and practice everyday.

I will focus on that list and journaling my practice for March.  

Happy Goals to all.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: wtw
Guest(s) 72
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7830
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5361