Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Cecilio MV300 vs Mv500
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Vern357

Members
February 8, 2017 - 12:36 am
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey all,

Total noob here.  All I know is you tube and musescore.  Played horn in high school.

Started out with the mv300.  Honestly, this is the best $45 I think you can spend.  I may have gotten a better one than others, but it sounds "fair" and takes work to play it, but it does play.  (And had I hated the violin I was only out the cost of a dinner out, could donate the violin to a school).

The fit and finishe are horrible, and it took 2 months for it to hold tune.  But it did "play in" a bit so that now 3 months in it is not too shabby.

Just got the mv500.  (Used on ebay for $75 shipped).

As much as I hate to say it, not the same value as the mv300.  Yes, it does sound better, and is easier to play.  But its not 3 times the violin as the cheaper one ($45 vs $145 or so new).  Does come with a tuner and extra bow.  But a tuner is like $5, and 2 only fair bows are as a good as 1 fair bow.

In its defense, the mv500 I have is beautiful, I do love looking at it.  A lot!

So, if I were doing it over again:

Buy the Mv200.  Value wise nothing is close.  If you find you like it, get some better strings for it.  Then save all your $$ for a fiddlerman apprentice, as from all my research that is the next step up, and the value is there too.

Hopefully pics and a video/sound file to come.

MrYikes
Members

Regulars
February 8, 2017 - 9:37 am
Forum Posts: 633

It's fun hearing of your journey.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 9, 2017 - 3:38 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Welcome to the forum Vern357.
Looking forward to hearing about your journey and progress.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Elwin
Houston

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
February 9, 2017 - 10:23 pm
Forum Posts: 122

You use MuseScore? So do I!!!! 

Vern357

Members
February 23, 2017 - 8:30 pm
Forum Posts: 5

Ok, just an update on my journey.

My Fiddlerman strings arrived today.

I would swear I bought a new violin.

Everything is faster and louder, I dont have to work so hard to get a good sound, it just feels more natural.

Fran
Members

Regulars
February 25, 2017 - 10:29 am
Forum Posts: 239

@Vern357 Welcome!  I also love my Fiddlerman strings!  Enjoy the journey :-)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 8, 2017 - 8:28 pm

Thanks guys. We are very happy with the Fiddlerman Strings as well. :)

Old Fogey

Members
September 3, 2019 - 6:38 am
Forum Posts: 7

I'm a bit confused about the OP. They mention the "Cecilio MV-300 and MV-500," but Cecilios have a CVN- prefix on their model numbers, not MV-.  Am I right to assume these are actually by Cecilio's budget brand Mendini?  Finally, at the end of the comparison of the MV-300 and MV-500, they recommend going with the MV-200. Is this a typo, or are they recommending a model they've never before mentioned and apparently don’t own?

Gordon Shumway
London, England
Members

Regulars
September 3, 2019 - 8:46 am
Forum Posts: 2422

Violins are like decibels - each step-up in sound requires twice the outlay!

Andrew

Mouse
September 3, 2019 - 8:53 am
Forum Posts: 5296
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Old Fogey Celilio bought out Mendini. My first purchase was also the MV300. Celilio also has their CV line, but both are now Celilio. From what I have heard, they are pretty much the same. My MV300 is a good tester. Once you decide you want to play violin, an upgrade, when you can afford it, is a good idea, but, you could get into playing violin for a while before doing so. I liked the finish on my MV300. There are two options for the finish. I chose the satin and I thought it looked really nice. Different from other violins, but people have to remember, they did not pay much for it. With a case, bow, extra set of strings and rosin (no matter how bad the quality), that does not leave much of the cost to actually go towards the cost of the violin. Just something to consider when a violin comes with a lot of extras at a low price. Those items were not gifts to the seller. It has to be recouped. 

Having said that, if you are buying online, Fiddlershop is about the only place I would spend more than I spent on my MV300 for an online violin purchase. Mine was packaged like you would not believe, you get tracking info, fabulous people to work with, and an instrument in pristine condition right out of the box, and a beautiful quality instrument.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
September 8, 2019 - 2:08 pm
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes CID,

Mendini is the low line by Cecilio.

I don't recommend them but some people really can't afford to pay more money and I can't blame them for purchasing these instruments.

I have to warn consumers though. We've seen instruments that would require far more money spent to get them in acceptable playing condition than the instrument costs to begin with. Even after fixing and setting them up properly, the quality and sound remains questionable.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: JimandThomas
Guest(s) 73
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296