Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Mendini MV 500 / 650 by Cecilio
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sdsalyer
Abingdon, VA

Advanced member
Members
February 1, 2012 - 11:11 pm
Forum Posts: 73
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This isn't a review so much as a "welp, here it is", but I thought it might be helpful for anyone interested in purchasing this violin.

I also wanted an excuse to see how well my digital camera would record sound + video, and I think it will be fine for recording myself playing, however I now realize where my wife is coming from when she tells me I mumble all the time...

I ordered the Mendini MV500 from KK Music Store through Amazon.com.  I had noticed that the photos for MV500 and MV650 were identical on Amazon, and I also noted that the MV500 on Amazon claims a one-piece back, while the MV500 on KK Music Store's website says the MV500 is a 2-piece back.  I'm not sure if the listing on Amazon is correct or not, but while I ordered an MV500, I received an MV650 -- or say it says inside the violin.

Enough rambling... here's a video, with photos to follow.

sdsalyer
Abingdon, VA

Advanced member
Members
February 1, 2012 - 11:16 pm

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

sdsalyer
Abingdon, VA

Advanced member
Members
February 1, 2012 - 11:23 pm

As you can see, the label clearly says MV650.  I'd be curious to know if Gail's MV500 is actually an MV650, or perhaps they just sent me the wrong one by mistake?

In any case, everything seems to be in order.  The bridge was a little off I think, but I tried to straighten it up.  It doesn't seem to stay in tune too well, but I think it may just need some peg drops or something similar.  I start lessons next week, so hopefully my instructor can handle the setup.

If anyone more knowledgeable notices anything out of the ordinary, I'd be glad to hear your input.  I *think* the sound post is in the right spot -- can anyone verify this?

Anyway, hope this helps someone out.  I'm pretty excited and ready to start playing!

Gail
29 Palms, CA

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 1, 2012 - 11:38 pm
Forum Posts: 221

Hi, Drew.  Thanks for posting all those photos and the video.  Now that I've looked at the label I see that mine also says Mendini MV650.  The only differences I see between your outfit and mine is that your bridge has writing on it and mine doesn't, and you seem to have a much nicer shoulder rest.  Mine has less pad and more metal.  Very uncomfortable.  I'm currently considering other options.

violin_girl

I've learned so much from my mistakes that I've decided to make some more.

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
February 1, 2012 - 11:42 pm
Forum Posts: 1973

The sound post appears to be OK. maybe a slight angle to it but hard to tell. It's position from the bridge back looks good but can't tell if it is good sideways from the picture.  Try just pushing in on the pegs as you tune to make it stay in tune.  The steel strings are not the best. First thing you might want to do is get a set of strings, The Pro-Arte or the best I've heard the Zyex. Just so happens I know where to get them at a great price. http://fiddlershop.com

sdsalyer
Abingdon, VA

Advanced member
Members
February 1, 2012 - 11:50 pm

Looks like we both  accidentally got a good deal on MV 650, Gail. :)  The shoulder rest seems OK -- I'm not used to holding the violin, yet, obviously, but I can't seem to find a comfortable spot for it, either.  I'm hoping my instructor can help with this, too.

Kevin, is Fiddlerman paying you to promote his business?!  Just kidding... I am thinking of ordering those Pro Arte or Zyex strings.  I'm used to guitar strings, but I can still tell the Cecilio ones aren't very good.  Thanks for the tip!

Gail
29 Palms, CA

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 2, 2012 - 2:15 am

Most likely the label is wrong.   Most Chinese workers don't read English, and a mistake like that could go unnoticed for a long time.  I've noticed that in general Chinese manufacturers aren't real fussy about details. 

surprised

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
February 2, 2012 - 6:45 am
Forum Posts: 2849

Thank You for the video and photos, Drew! =)

Violin looks very nice and the sound seems to be good (pizzicato at least birthday_balloon =)).

I saw FiddlerMan's video about this violin and liked the MV 650 sound more than CVN 500 so: Congratulations and Happy fiddling ! =)cheerspartyviolin_girl

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 2, 2012 - 8:14 am
Forum Posts: 16429

It's a good looking fiddle in any case. Thanks for the video. Look forward to hearing it being played.
If you are the slightest unhappy with it you can have them exchange, especially seeing that you didn't get the product that you ordered.
As Kevin said, your sound-post looks like it is leaning ever so slightly, but that is provided that the bridge is straight. I think your bridge is leaning forward though and when you tune it you must keep it straight or leaning back slightly.

Crooked sound-posts are common and there is really nothing anyone can do when shipping a violin to insure that the bridge doesn't move.
It could help if they tuned them before sending. They wouldn't hold the intonation anyway but the pressure would hold them in place better.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Dee Major

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
February 2, 2012 - 9:32 am
Forum Posts: 158
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for sharing your video and pics, sd. I especially like the closeups. Hope it works out for you.

sdsalyer
Abingdon, VA

Advanced member
Members
February 2, 2012 - 11:39 am
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Gail: I wouldn't be surprised if the label were wrong, but it's curious that the MV500 on the KK Music website has a 2-piece back and this one doesn't.  I guess we'll never know for sure unless we put a 500 and 650 side by side (maybe not even then)!

Sorry for the blurry photos, I meant to remove them, but I guess I posted again too quickly and it would no longer allow me to edit the post with photos.

Also, thanks for the comments!  I can't wait to get started.  Perhaps once I'm able to play some scales decently, I will update this thread with another video showing the MV500/650(?)'s sound quality.  Fiddlerman's video of the CVN500 vs MV650 would probably be more helpful than anything I could produce, though, so anyone interested in this violin should check it out if they haven't!

Gail
29 Palms, CA

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
February 2, 2012 - 12:41 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mine has a one-piece back, too.

Moris

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
February 5, 2012 - 2:56 pm
Forum Posts: 140
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had forgotten to say thanks for the posting the review. I am happy that your Violin arrived safe and sound. Am keeping my fingers crossed, hoping the Cecilio I ordered also comes in perfect shape, who knows maybe it will be a higher end model :-P

"No one can do everything, but everyone can do something."

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
February 5, 2012 - 10:05 pm
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said

Crooked sound-posts are common and there is really nothing anyone can do when shipping a violin to insure that the bridge doesn't move.
It could help if they tuned them before sending. They wouldn't hold the intonation anyway but the pressure would hold them in place better.

I don't understand why they don't tune them before shipping. If it is right the bridge will stay up and the soundpost will stay in place. them the strings will be easier to keep in tune.  I always tune them before shipping and rosin the bows.  I have to wonder how many complaints they get simply because people can't get the new bow rosined up with the new cake of rosin.

Rayna

Members
March 30, 2012 - 8:52 pm
Forum Posts: 5
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Drew!

We have matching violins. :) My husband picked it out and surprised me since he knows I have always wanted to play.  I just got mine back from a music shop last night.

I'm a complete newbie, but I can tell when I like something, and although I was a bit scared by the low priced chinaness of it, I am pleasantly surprised by the sweet voice.

It arrived from Amazon with the sound post dislodged, just rolling around in there. The luthier tweaked a few other things as well. He made notches in the bridge, got the pegs to stick in better, etc. Maybe he even changed the strings... I don't remember what the original ones looked like. It was $54 to have a professional completely set it up, but worth it since it went from unusable to being really beautiful. I watched FiddlerMan's review of this model, and mine sounds richer than the one he reviewed. ;)  

The only thing I really do not like is the big chin rest. Maybe I need a chin rest made for elves. Do you still like it after a couple of months? Did you change anything on it? How does it sound?

Take care,

-paxxy

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 31, 2012 - 12:01 am
Forum Posts: 16429
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey paxxy,

Welcome to the forum. It's definitely worth $54 for a luthier to tweek a new violin like that. Makes a heck of a difference.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
March 31, 2012 - 8:47 am
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paxxy,

Can we hear that new violin of yours?  Isn't it amazing how you can buy a cheap violin and by spending just a few dollars you can get a wonderful sounding instrument.

Welcome to Fiddlerman

Rayna

Members
March 31, 2012 - 10:35 pm
Forum Posts: 5
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aw, I should've figured ya'll would ask to hear it! Sorry, boys, you're going to have to wait for me to learn how to play Twinkle Twinkle first, and I don't want to subject anyone to that too soon. For now I'll enjoy the warm welcome. cheers Nice to be here and meet ya'll!

-paxxy

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
April 1, 2012 - 6:40 am
Forum Posts: 2849
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi, Paxxy! Welcome to the forum!birthday_balloon

We'll look forward to hear your Twinkle Twinkle! =) thumbs-up

Irv
Members

Regulars
April 16, 2018 - 1:09 pm
Forum Posts: 1650

I have seen very little information on the MV 650 on Youtube and an opportunity presented it self a few weeks ago to purchase one for very little.  I thought, how bad could it be?

Mine also came with a bridge that was mounted about 1/2" toward the bass side of violin, which was quickly corrected.  The bridge was well shaped and conveyed the strings at the correct height to the fingerboard.  The back and ribs have nice figuring.  Both the back and front are one piece of their respective woods.  The wood grain is very tight on the center of the violin front plate.  The varnish was attractively applied.  The violin weighs less than the Cecilio CVN 600 and CVN 800 (which I find to be rather heavy).  I like it.

It came with 2 wood bows which were unfortunately stored with tightened hair, which caused the bows to slightly warp (which I believe that I can straighten).  

Success is the progressive realisation of a worthy ideal. —Earl Nightingale.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 139
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31663
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
Adityaail, SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309