FORUM

Please have a look at our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
My Journey with My Violin Since May 1716.
A probably unusual way to learn improvising via baroque play-alongs.
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
August 19, 2017 - 2:53 pm
Forum Posts: 2148
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
201sp_Permalink sp_Print

Demoiselle said

...... For the first 6 months I didn't show it because it was clearly to see she needed self-affirmation. If I had told her she wasn't as powerful as she assumed, she probably would have lacked motivation. Finally she tried to completely take over and didn't respect my personal goals anymore.......

Now, that is simply wrong - you should be given the room and the space to expand your interests !

You made the right decision IMHO  ( and I say that from the perspective of having BEEN a tutor - not in music, which is no more than a pass-time to me ) but two other completely unrelated subjects.

I learned, VERY quickly, that some students "were on a slightly-different-path-of-awareness" in the subjects I taught.   I ALWAYS took the time to work with them individually and, many times, I was "enlightened" to a different way of thinking about a problem scenario.

Been on the other-side as well - as a student / recipient of tuition - (again in non-musical topics) - on several occasions I have simply walked away and found a better mentor that's prepared to deal with "what I want out of it" and not a regurgitation of stuff anyone can read from a book LOLOL...

I like your style !   hats_off

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Demoiselle
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2017 - 6:28 am
Forum Posts: 290
202sp_Permalink sp_Print

BillyG said

Demoiselle said
...... For the first 6 months I didn't show it because it was clearly to see she needed self-affirmation. If I had told her she wasn't as powerful as she assumed, she probably would have lacked motivation. Finally she tried to completely take over and didn't respect my personal goals anymore.......

Now, that is simply wrong - you should be given the room and the space to expand your interests !

You made the right decision IMHO  ( and I say that from the perspective of having BEEN a tutor - not in music, which is no more than a pass-time to me ) but two other completely unrelated subjects.

I learned, VERY quickly, that some students "were on a slightly-different-path-of-awareness" in the subjects I taught.   I ALWAYS took the time to work with them individually and, many times, I was "enlightened" to a different way of thinking about a problem scenario.

Been on the other-side as well - as a student / recipient of tuition - (again in non-musical topics) - on several occasions I have simply walked away and found a better mentor that's prepared to deal with "what I want out of it" and not a regurgitation of stuff anyone can read from a book LOLOL...

I like your style !   hats_off

That woman obviously had mental issues. It wasn't her fault. But until the end of June I learned a lot. Even in Berlin it was very difficult to find the right teacher for me. Those who prefer jazz think I'm nuts because I love riding on ancient music, and those who prefer ancient music feel like it's wrong to not just follow the notes of ancient masters. The problem is, if I start shootn' off my mouth people are hurt pretty soon. My argumentation is like a rolling tank, they have no chance. At some point I learned I'm very gifted and powerful in that matter and decided to hold back. I'm glad I didn't use that against her.

Demoiselle
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2017 - 12:04 pm

I needed some distance and then listen into my three choices out of the Brandenburg Concertos 2, 5, 6 again. Today I feel like the Andante in No. 2 is gonna be great for me.

t=310s

The movement starts in the middle (at 5:12), is not fast and nonetheless a little groovy. I want to start singing each time I listen to it, which shows it speaks to my heart.

Demoiselle
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2017 - 12:53 pm
204sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's D minor, my favorite key, so I probably won't transpose it. I tried to accompany the above video sound at my spinet and it was great fun: It involves several minor chords and the harmonic progression is extremely beautiful. This is exactly the kind of stuff I need: Quite dreamy, colorful and nonetheless with a steady groove. Swings like swing jazz.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 22, 2017 - 9:44 am
Forum Posts: 12583
205sp_Permalink sp_Print

Demoiselle said

......Those who prefer jazz think I'm nuts because I love riding on ancient music, and those who prefer ancient music feel like it's wrong to not just follow the notes of ancient masters. The problem is, if I start shootn' off my mouth people are hurt pretty soon....... 

Imagine how boring this world would be if everyone thought and acted alike.....

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Demoiselle
Members

Regulars
September 18, 2017 - 4:25 pm
206sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said

Demoiselle said
......Those who prefer jazz think I'm nuts because I love riding on ancient music, and those who prefer ancient music feel like it's wrong to not just follow the notes of ancient masters. The problem is, if I start shootn' off my mouth people are hurt pretty soon....... 

Imagine how boring this world would be if everyone thought and acted alike.....  

Yes, terrible idea. Actually a nightmare as I feel.

Demoiselle
Members

Regulars
September 18, 2017 - 4:31 pm
207sp_Permalink sp_Print
CIACCONA by Philipp Jacob Rittler (1637-1690)
- improvisation, September 18, 2017 -

It didn't seem fast too me, but if I start playing I find it quite a bit exhausting.

Demoiselle
Members

Regulars
September 20, 2017 - 7:25 am
208sp_Permalink sp_Print

Demoiselle said

CIACCONA by Philipp Jacob Rittler (1637-1690)
- improvisation, September 18, 2017 -

The problem I see is, that I must refrain from tiring myself too soon by stuffing my improvisations with too many fast phrases. It is clearly to hear that I was done around 1:40 in this video. I have successfully integrated pairs of two eighths which I connect via legato. So I bow every second note in those phrases which saves energy and sounds nice. But here I do it too often and it's downright bleeding me out. Especially if I play with people I'm supposed to use more long notes and ad these eighths just now and then.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 231

Currently Online: accompaniments
29 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming coolpinkone, Panda-P, OP Alaraasakka

Top Posters:

coolpinkone: 3978