Please have a look at our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.
Would it be a good idea to do a Disney song as a project, sometime in the future? There are some songs that I believe would probably be good. However, I'm not sure about the copyright issues, if that would be the roadblock to a project such as this.
I was thinking maybe some old hit songs as well. New ones to add to it.
I was also thinking of maybe famous opera songs that everyone knows (Something like Habanera from Carmen).
Or, if possible, maybe compositions from fiddlerman forum members who compose. Just a thought
Yeah, I am considering making sheet music for anyone of these ideas. Let me know your thoughts on this as well as what you would want to see being done as a future project, and when it gets to a certain point, I'll probably post sheet music that I make of it.
Good idea @Elwin
And @Fiddlerman - for any future projects a few other things that may be worthwhile considering are -
(1) "make the choice" early - giving it a long-lead-time ( I know, the Game of Thrones project DID have a long time - unintended and for other reasons - and although the project was greeted enthusiastically by many when launched, in the end it still did not have significant an enough participation for it to be mixed down. The GOT project is of course still open for submissions ! )
(2) Consider "simple" arrangements to draw more beginners in to submitting parts. When I say "simple" I mean on a part-by part basis - but there could be more (still simple) parts added - which when all mixed down leads to an overall "more complex sounding piece". It may also bring more multiple-parts submissions into the mix - it means more effort by the arranger of course.
(3) Personally I absolutely hate to say this - but possibly consider transposing pieces to one of the "simpler keys" for beginners to use ( G, D, A - then possibly C ). I'm not sure about it - it's just a suggestion. ( I do that with various tunes all the time myself, basically just for fun and to draw a bit more excitement into scales practice - but it does make it sound different.. hard call to make... but you do see a lot of comments like "oh - it's got 3 flats - I/we haven't covered this yet...")
(4) Related to (3) - again for those thrown by the presence of accidentals in the score itself regardless of key - perhaps consider pieces with only the occasional excursion-by-accidental from the key signature.
(5) Once a project decision is made, perhaps consider making the forum thread "sticky" so it ALWAYS appears if possible at the top of the "Recent Forum Posts" list - I know a lot of members are, unlike myself, not necessarily daily visitors, and topics can become 'forgotten about'. If making a post sticky cant be done, perhaps place it in a separate side-bar widget in a similar way the chat, poll and FiddlerShop widgets appear... I appreciate the project links are usually on the home page - but I'm sure there are many, who like me, log-in directly to the forum page. I rarely visit the home page unless I'm searching for one of Pierre's tutorial videos.
Anyway - these were just some thoughts having seen both the participation levels and general comments made on the last 6 or so projects, in a hope to bring more folks, especially beginners, into the projects...
EDIT : To highlight my point about the "Home Page" limitations (well, I was searching for a word - there's nothing wrong with the home-page - but read on ) - for instance ( a non-member ) just googling "Game of thrones fiddle" - will come across a link (it came up as 3rd from the top here) to Fiddlerman Group Project - Game Of Thrones | LEARN TO PLAY THE ...
which of course takes them directly to the forum thread - and obviously NOT to the FiddlerMan home page.... a "sticky post" somewhere more "permanent and obvious" may attract more members....
I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh -
Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)
(1) I did desire some input in order to make the choice, which is why I posted it here.
(2) I do know about the part-by-part simplicity. I intended quite a bit of violin parts, a few of them will be simple, not as much, maybe two or three viola parts with only one of them being simple. and a cello part.
(3) I am aware of the beginner easy keys. I was in band for a while, so I at least know the keys that were easy, and what weren't. For strings it's different. What I do think is that at least for beginners (this was my conclusion) keys that require half-position, most of the time should probably be avoided. I think the key of C might be easier for the viola than for the violin.
(4) I will consider leaving the accidentals on the advanced parts.
(5) Thanks for letting me know.
I was thinking for a group project, Funiculi Funicula might be a good idea. I do need to ask about if copyright would be a roadblock to any project.
Most Users Ever Online: 231
Currently Online: ADK-Mark, tamami
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 1
Newest Members:TrevorKat, Brianrip, vkyokn, JessyWaiva, Georgebioto, WilliamKeS
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 11972, KindaScratchy: 1671, BillyG: 1828