Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
International Talk Like a Pirate Day - 2016
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 3, 2016 - 12:09 pm
Forum Posts: 2113
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

lol @BillyG 

It's going good. I'm taking it slow to make sure I get it right. And good eye, that is Vi Wickam's sheet. I'm not going to do the whole thing, his version gets a bit fancy for my abilities, so I have picked out the A and B parts on the first page of the music and will work out some kind of repeats of those. I do have an even easier version I printed out, but I like the sound of Vi's better, so would like to get that down. Right now I have almost got the A part sounding ok.

arrr and more pirate speak. Rum, pillage pillage, gold arrrrr

t3819.gif

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆
World's Okayest Fiddler
☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
September 3, 2016 - 12:52 pm
Forum Posts: 3744
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

LMFAO - yeah - good stuff Mandy - aye - Vi's stuff can be real cool to listen to and get ideas from, no doubt.  Occasionally it leaves a little bit to the imagination maybe because of background noise where he plays - but what hedoes in his "tune a day" is never intended as an actual "lesson" - I love his stuff...  great....  He gets 100% respect from me - awesome ! LOL

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 3, 2016 - 4:17 pm
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like that he has a wide variety of tunes to listen to if I need to get an idea of what something sounds like. I like that it's not just a tune a lesson, I hate when I think I'm just finding a song to listen to, and it's just yet another a slowly played tutorial, lol. If I can play the songs ok slow, I want to hear them as they should be played sometimes, lol. 

World's Okayest Fiddler

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 19, 2016 - 5:22 pm
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Arrrr, it be Talk Like a Pirate Day and I not be done with me tune! 

I did make some progress with it in my lesson today, we ran through the whole thing, fancy bits and all, and it felt easier somehow. Hopefully will have a video soon! I guess I could post a practice video before I am ready to do my final take.... I do have the basics of the A and B part down...... 

World's Okayest Fiddler

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 19, 2016 - 8:49 pm
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok, did a quick video, plan to do a better one of this song soon, not really happy with this, but I wanted something recorded today, lol

World's Okayest Fiddler

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
September 19, 2016 - 11:20 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

Last minute.. Off the cuff... Argghhgg at you wenches and sea dogs...

to the practice plank for me.... It's the Skye Boat song.... Maybe that cargo has some jewels other than the wee Bonnie lad.. Get to work rat survey pigs. 

https://youtu.be/qYlwQzMnJIE

Off to listen to me matey-s.

Pinky La Cool

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

BillyG
September 20, 2016 - 1:54 am
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

Arrr, heave-ho me hearty wenches violin_girlhats_off@damfino and pink-violin-girlhats_off@coolpinkone - that be a fine bit of fiddlin' thar.   Thank 'ee muchly the pair of ye!  

Makes yer ol' cap'n Grey Beard remember the days I spent as a scurvy deck-hand on cap'n @Ferret 's fine ship.   Pity I had to lead a mutiny and make him walk the plank.... (LOL John Luck!)

LOL - huge apologies for not getting anything posted myself - I WILL do - in fact it's the Sailors' Hornpipe as well - but the machine I use for recording is currently struggling with a Windows 10 upgrade....  hopefully in another day or so...

Thanks again lassies ! clapclapclapclap  Here be yer tot o' rum fer the day... cheerscheers

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 20, 2016 - 8:30 am
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

Arrr, that be a fine job, @coolpinkone 

I be lookin' forward to yer take on Sailor's Hornpipe @BillyG 

World's Okayest Fiddler

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
September 20, 2016 - 1:22 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

@damfino - Loved your video... Ye make a good pirate...

@BillyG I sure love that video from 2014. Ye scare the piss right out of me with your nasty pirate bad self... ha ha... oh god.. did I just write that?

Happy Pirate-ing.  I hope we can keep adding to this for a few days... Its so cool!

Cheers Mates.

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

BillyG
September 20, 2016 - 2:33 pm
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aye, @damfino ye be right to be a-waitin' fer me take on the ol' Sailors Hornpipe - I be havin' issues wi' t' change to part B, but 'twill be aw-right on the night ! LOL   

The windows-10 upgrade on THIS PC (that I can't record on) took 2 whole days - 20 hours online time for the actual download and about the same for the install to complete ( it went off and downloaded still MORE ) - but THAT gives me time to get a bit more practice in before I can record it ! Hahahah ( CHEAT ! )  Must admit - I'm having a lot of fun with part B - there's a good few double stops and 3-note chords to be picked out - not that I' going to try too hard on that - but they're there to be found....

coolpinkone said
@damfino - Loved your video... Ye make a good pirate...

@BillyG I sure love that video from 2014. Ye scare the piss right out of me with your nasty pirate bad self... ha ha... oh god.. did I just write that?

Happy Pirate-ing.  I hope we can keep adding to this for a few days... Its so cool!

Cheers Mates.  

LMAO @coolpinkone - aye - ye just wrote that - LOL - and 'twas a shame about the poor "green-screen" - it was a "greenish" colored linen-bed-sheet and I didn't have an even-enough light source to make it work properly -so it was kind of fading in and out as I moved - but heck - what was that - 6 months into playing or so - great fun...   no chance to do anything like that this time round I'm afraid - too many other life/day-to-day issues here atm - so I'll just record a straight take....  hope I don't scare the piss outta you this time round ! 

Happy bunny here ... bunny_pole_dancerbunny_pole_dancerbunny_pole_dancer

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 20, 2016 - 3:10 pm
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

@coolpinkone Arrr, thanks :)

@BillyG Are ye doin' the Vi Wickam version as well? I be "almost there" with the B part. Lots o' fun fancy bits in there. I be havin' the advantage of workin' thru it with me teacher, but it doesn't seem as scary now. Arrrrr and more pirate-y speak

pirateship.gif

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

World's Okayest Fiddler

BillyG
September 21, 2016 - 3:19 am
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

damfino said
@BillyG Are ye doin' the Vi Wickam version as well? I be "almost there" with the B part. Lots o' fun fancy bits in there.....

Errrr - not sure - well - I think the answer is "no, not specifically"....   It was a tune I "started" to play ages ago simply because it was in my head, but I could never figure out the transition into the B part.   Then, some time back I found basic sheet for it, and then adapted it slightly to my own needs - so my version will be a kind of cross-breed between something and something-else - but hopefully recognisable !    I've checked out Vi's SH and as ever, great playing and variations, but too involved for me right now - although certainly lots of ideas in it to work on.....

My Win 10 upgrade, 16 hours on, is still downloading - it claims to have reached 75% but the way Microsoft measure percentage appears to have more to do with the number of modules rather than the actual size in GBytes of the download.   In theory, I could use the machine while its doing that, but the last thing I want to do is "upset it" LOLOL - hopefully the take is still on the cards for later today...

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 21, 2016 - 9:11 am
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

@BillyG His version does get a bit involved, my teacher thought it was funny that I noted the 2nd and 3rd pages being the "fancy bits". His first two repeats of the A and B are not bad, but after that it'll take a bit extra brain power for me to learn, at least memorize enough so I'm not staring at the sheet, so I've been mainly focusing on those first two A and B variations. My teacher said he is throwing in a bit of Blackberry Blossom into his version, on the second repeat of B and on those other two pages. I haven't learned that song yet, so maybe if I had started with that, then learned this it would come a little more naturally. 

I'm working hard to get the double stops sounding right on this one, after all the etudes I've been doing for homework it doesn't feel as hard to *try* and throw the double stops in there. 

World's Okayest Fiddler

BillyG
September 21, 2016 - 9:54 am
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yesss indeed @damfino  - I listened again to Vi's take - it is clever and interesting (and IMO he loses the plot a little bit) - but like the consummate player he is, he gets back on track, seamlessly - awesome ! ( well that's how it seemed to me until you mentioned BB )

I don't know Blackberry Blossom - but what I *do* know - it is real easy to mix stuff up a little and bring "surprises" into it - that may be what I was hearing not knowing BB.. right... interesting...  

As an aside, and as it happens - @coolpinkone Toni referred to "Comin' thro' the Rye" recently ( apparently its a tune used in Outlander - which I've never seen ) - but it is, a bit like the Skye Boat Song an old, traditional Scottish tune - the REALLY WEIRD THING about it is that it is almost he same notes as "Auld Lang Syne" - just a totally different timing...  wow - I mean - BOTH of these tunes have been in my head from when I was 5 or 6 years old - and I had NEVER until I played Comin' thro the Rye realised how similar they were....   and that's maybe where Vi's improv comes up sounding like the Blackberry Blossom your teach refers to....  

Interesting...   I have to go find out about the BB thing... LOL ( I'm driven, just driven - can't help it )

Yeah - the double stop thing - what I find is that it just don't work if you try too hard - sometimes - it just comes easy - sometimes it seems to need more bow - haven't totally figured it out yet myself - what I have noticed is the bow angle - and - for instance - if I'm "flat (bow that is) across two strings" ( and it varies from string to string and instrument to instrument ) then generally (on my viola strung fiddle and indeed my FM Concert) the lower string can be far too present - especially if it (the lower string) is an open string - and then getting the subtle balance I want to hear can be difficult for me - the double string playing isn;t necessarily "PRECISELY" in the plane between G and D for example - you (well, I mean "one") might want a lighter touch on the open ( or stopped ) G and the note on the D for example.....  yeah... it's a LONG journey... but awesome

I'm loving every minute of playing - I really am, and there is SO MUCH feedback and  sharing of thoughts and ideas etc here - I have no words to express how great the FM site is - it's beyond compare !   TY Pierre @Fiddlerman hats_off and all who ask questions or who give feedback on their playing - never stop - it's how we all learn and progress ! Well cool - thanks folks !

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
September 21, 2016 - 10:29 am
35sp_Permalink sp_Print

@BillyG I'm not sure if I have Blackberry Blossom in any of my sheet books, so I went on youtube and did a little searching. I listened to Katy Adelson's version, and I can hear the similarities in bits, and I can kind of understand what he changed in there now. There are some bits that I thought he was being fancy in, but as my teacher ran through it, she said "I wondered when he was going to get to that part" so it must have belonged, unless it was straight out of BB.

But yeah, after the first to repeats of A and B he changes the octave and throws in BB, then after about 2 run-throughs of that he starts to transition back. It's kind of interesting to look at the sheet for it. I'd like to compare it to sheet for BB to get a better understanding of what he did, though.

World's Okayest Fiddler

BillyG
September 21, 2016 - 11:13 am
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah - I get that !   I'm probably not quite as "obsessed" about uncovering the detail - but - for sure - I understand ( that's an easy-way-out-for-me to let someone else do the hard work LOLOL - although of COURSE I'd love to know... LOL )

OK - I retract that - I AM obsessed - but not in that way.... to me the sheet is secondary to what I already "know" ( if that's not too strong a word - "hear" may be a better word ) in my head - but that's only because i play fiddle music - and - if soloing - you absolutely HAVE to "make it your own"

Which - indeed is precisely what Vi did there - yeah - I think we should share that - hang on till I find it  - here yah go folks - a fiddler just simply enjoying what he does - nothing more - nothing less - 

^5s @Vi Wickam - good stuff man and thank you !

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: nykteria
Guest(s) 85
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5306