Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
cecilio cvn500 or the ricard bunnel g2?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
nongregarious

Members
February 20, 2015 - 12:02 am
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My girl is 10 and has only been playing since the beginning of the school year.  She shows great potential though as she is now on par with the kids that have been playing for 2-3 years.  she is currently playing on a palatino vn 350 that is 1/4 size, rented from the school.  It fit her at the beginning of the year but she has grown quite a bit and now needs a larger size.  The school has nothing to left to rent and the 2 music stores in town don't rent instruments anymore.  One no longer sells violins and the other only sells palatinos.  I am sure for its price range a palatino is ok but my daughters goes out of tune during play or even before she finishes tuning it. 

I really like these two violins and I want to make sure they are quality and will last.  We have 5 kids and they will likely all end up playing it at some point.  Plus music has become the one thing my daughter likes about school.  Orchestra is the only place she feels she belongs and no one makes fun of her.  She is dyslexic and kids can be cruel. 

Does anyone own these insturments? What do you like or dislike about them? 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 20, 2015 - 9:51 am
Forum Posts: 16429

At 10 she may be ready for a 1/2, 3/4, or full size violin.
Please check this link out to be sure.
https://fiddlerman.com/what-si.....uld-i-get/

I have no advice on the Palatino's. Hope you find something you like.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

nongregarious

Members
February 20, 2015 - 9:37 pm

Thank you fiddlerman, for the reply.  According to the chart she fits a 3/4 size.  From neck to palm is 22 inches.  Her orchestra instructor recommended 1/2 size but I don't want her to grow out of it right away.  She is petite though so she will likely fit a 3/4 for a long time.  

Does the cvn 500 have real ebony fingerboard, pegs and tail piece ?  I read a couplereviews  that said they were painted but the manufacturer says it's ebony.

augustoad
Ponta Grossa, Paraná - Brazil
Members

Regulars
February 20, 2015 - 10:17 pm
Forum Posts: 229

@nongregarious , Firstly welcome to the forums!

I think you should go with whatever sounds the nicest to your and your daugther's ears. Violins, in general, tend to last for a long time, if well treated - so you don't need to worry about that. I lived in Taiwan for an year, and 2 of my school teachers from there owned violins - one of them around 75 years of usage, and the other around 30, so unless your children are a bit reckless like I was around that age, there's nothing to worry about that.

About your daughter feeling comfortable in the orchestra - I can actually relate. I've been mocked a lot when I was a kid because I am overweight. However, when I started really getting into music, people that were around me seemed to not care about my physical characteristics, so I felt like I belonged there. My parents have been a bit skeptical about me learning music, because I eventually want to work with it (my grampa has taken the same road but was not successful), but I am not going to give up any soon. My advice, if it's worth a penny: encourage her to learn music, if that's what she really likes. :)

Skype: augustoad Email: [email protected] Phone number/whatsapp: +55 42 9861-4084. I'd be happy to talk anything fiddle-related to anyone! :)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 20, 2015 - 10:51 pm

I can't really know if the Ebony is real or fake but I can't think of a reason that Cecilio would lie about this. Most Ebony is dyed to be blacker and there is a large range of quality. I imagine the CVN500 doesn't have the best quality Ebony fingerboard but it's still better than Rosewood or Maple.

nongregarious

Members
February 20, 2015 - 11:10 pm

Thank you again fiddlerman.  My daughter loved the cecilo violin.  She said it sounded best out of the two.  That works for me since it's less expensive.  Her orchestra teacher warned us against buying cheap and buying a china made violin.  I have learne though, that most are now made in China.  I don't have a several thousand to spend and that seems to get you out of the made in China range, lol. Ive be been reading reveiws and listening to violins on youtube.  That's helped me a bit.  I try to be as informed as possible before a purchase.  I want my daughter to feel proud to play her violin.  She's frustrated by her rental because she has to stop and tune it during rehearsal.  She seems to have a very good ear and it makes her very unhappy when things sound off. 

I  finding that I need to become an expert in all things violin since local help is practically non existant.  One of the local stores tried to sell me a used violin ( palatino) with a slightly crushed bottom and a very wide crack down the front from the f hole to the base for 99 dollars. They said it had already been repaired and the crack and slight crushing would not affect the sound.  I think otherwise.  

Btw I am also dyslexic.  I apologize if my spelling, grammar or word usage is off.  

nongregarious

Members
February 20, 2015 - 11:21 pm

Than you augustoad for the reply. I will probably get the cecilio because that is te one my daughter said was more beautiful sounding.  

I'm sorry you had a hard time in school.  I did as well. Watching my little girl struggle is very hard.  I've become and advocate for 'differently abled learners' in my community because of it.  i got her small private school to purchase much needed reading programs for kids who don't benefit from the normal remediation program.  They were shocked that several of the kids suddenly did much better with these new Orton Gillingham based programs.  My daughters 4th grade teacher told me my daughter would make an excellent wife, woman and mother some day and school for her wasn't that important ( btw that's code for 'your child isn't very smart') I beg to differ.  Now that she has dragon dictation software at her disposal and new programs to help her read better she is close to being a straight A student.  

We are limited in our means but I want her to have an instrument that she can use to really get great at what she wants to do.  She wants to fiddle, she wants to play traditional Irish music and she also wants to dance around while she does it, lol.  

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 21, 2015 - 5:38 pm

I'm glad that she liked it. Warning against Chinese instruments is more or less ignorance. However, warning against cheap instruments make sense. You never know what you are going to get. I have however seen some great cheap violins in my life.

sxk

Members
February 24, 2015 - 8:39 am
Forum Posts: 6

nongregarious said
.  My daughters 4th grade teacher told me my daughter would make an excellent wife, woman and mother some day and school for her wasn't that important ( btw that's code for 'your child isn't very smart') I beg to differ.  

Wow. That's awful. Glad your daughter is doing well. 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 24, 2015 - 10:19 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Imagine the types of people we have educating our children. Shame on her.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway
Guest(s) 113
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305