Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Cecilio's MV650 vs CVN500
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 20, 2011 - 11:23 am
Forum Posts: 16430

I played on the MV650 today and was not entirely happy with it. First of all, I had trouble getting a sound out of it so I checked inside to see the condition of the sound-post. It was SUPER crooked and had almost fallen down plus the top of the sound-post was not under the right foot of the bridge so I had to straighten that out, which improved the sound greatly. This is not Cecilio's fault. Impossible to send out an instrument and guarantee that it will arrive the same way.

When I moved the sound-post to the correct position the post appears to be too tight. This is not strange or necessarily wrong since violins change with time and the posts need to be replaced after a period depending on how dry or what kind of wood is being used. The post actually causes the top to rise slightly in that spot. The counter pressure of the bridge should keep it from forming too much but not entirely. Having the sound-post too tight will actually dampen vibrations causing problems in achieving the optimal sound. Moving the post more towards the middle to lessen pressure would put this post too far from the bridge foot. To add to this dilemma Cecilio uses steel strings on these instruments which gives more pressure and a brighter sound. With time I am convinced that this post will fit perfectly but not now with steel strings.

When playing the Mendini I am forced to press too hard to get a good sound but this could easily be rectified by changing strings, sound-post, or waiting till the violin shapes, and will surely differ from violin to violin.

Having said that, the instrument has an extremely good look for being new and almost resembles an old antique violin. The back is made from one piece and the flames are very attractive. The pegs, tailpiece and end-pin are of good quality and condition especially for the money.

All in all you get an extremely great value at $200

Since the CVN500 is very close to the same price I decided to make a comparison. This violin is in my opinion more attractive than the Mendini, however, I asked a few people in my family that felt the Mendini was more attractive. This is obviously a question of taste.

The case that comes with the Mendini is slightly more attractive but seems to be the exact same quality. I prefer the blue interior of the Mendini's case and the light color of the CVN500 is bound to get dirty over time.

I was very happy with the sound that came from the CVN500 right from the start. Easy to play and very open. Surely differs from violin to violin but this particular instrument was a hit for $20 less than the Mendini.

Bare in mind that changes made to the violin such as high quality perlon strings will affect the sound tremendously and may even put the sound of the Mendini over the CVN500 but this would require an investment of 40-50 dollars. Also, a better fitted sound-post and bridge could affect both instruments tremendously but could easily run you over $100.

Of these two similarly priced violins I would recommend the CVN500.

This review was written as a special request for Drew McDaniels

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

DrewMcDaniels
Augusta, Ga

Members
June 20, 2011 - 12:29 pm
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Wow, that was a very great review. Especially since I know you know what your talking about! Haha. This is much better than the ones on the site that are either, "I hate it, don't get it", or "It was good." This really did help, and I think I am going for the CVN500. It was the first one that I found, and actually how I found your youtube! Laugh Thank you so much for putting all the effort into this for me. I feel very welcome here already! But the 500 sounds nice so i'll probably go with that one. Thanks again! Smile

Oliver
NC

King
Regulars
June 20, 2011 - 12:39 pm
Forum Posts: 2439

The author is a personal friend who ships a lot of expensive violins.

Just for info. 

http://www.stamellstring.com/s.....ation.html

His greatest fear is the tailpiece (Wittner) laying on the varnish !

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 20, 2011 - 12:46 pm

@ Oliver - good advise. I will be needing it for all the fiddles that I am sending to the fortunate winners.

@ Drew - You are very welcome and also to the forum. Look forward to getting posts and updates from you. Smile

luminiz
New York

Members
June 20, 2011 - 4:17 pm
Forum Posts: 28

At his price range, do you think that these Cecilio Models are better (or the best) value for your money than some say on like eBay (I've seen lots around the 200$ price range?).

Pikachu
Pallet Town

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
June 20, 2011 - 5:33 pm
Forum Posts: 154

My violin was around $200, but included setting up the bridge and new strings, tuning and other inspections. I'm not sure if they changed the sound post, but they made sure it was properly tuned and inspected it for damage. The shopkeeper said the strings used in shop were higher quality than the standard ones, so I'm inclined to believe him. I'm curious to see the difference in quality between the two violins. Do you have any starter points as to how I'd go about comparing the two?

rotex13
Philippines

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
June 25, 2011 - 7:36 pm
Forum Posts: 193

OMG MEDINI! I love that dirty colored fiddle LOL.

@Pikachu: I think the first step is to check if your violin is a VSO or not. btw my fiddle is VSO and it suck cos its sounds muddy and nasal.

Pikachu
Pallet Town

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
June 25, 2011 - 9:08 pm
Forum Posts: 154

It's not a VSO. I think it was ordered from Shar, but I'm not totally certain. I ordered one, but the music store stopped doing business with the supplier from the catalog so they swapped my order without telling me what brand they swapped to. I had a 3/4 sized one first, which was too small for me, so the store swapped it for the same one in 4/4 size. Then they sold the 3/4 size in the shop and had it labeled as "Shar."

It has a very nice sound (when it's not me that's playing it) and clear bell tones. Since the instruments are around the same price, I wanted to see if they were the same quality.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 26, 2011 - 12:03 am

The truth is that I don't know whether or not Cecilio is the best value for the money. All I know is that I am very impressed by the value vs the price with Cecilio's instruments. I would love to test other brands of violins in the same price range. Cecilio is confident enough to send me their violins to test with, "no strings attached", not literally of course, and allow me to keep them to do as I see fit.

I don't think anyone can go wrong buying Cecilio unless they are unlucky. I still have a lot of tests left to do and I'll raffle off the violins, all but one, when I am done too. The one I will use to pay for all the postage.

pky
Members

Regulars
July 22, 2011 - 4:46 pm
Forum Posts: 969
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi, Fiddlerman,

Is the CVN500 one-piece back or two-piece back?

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 23, 2011 - 1:32 am
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

It has a two piece back.

futureviolinist

Members
July 24, 2011 - 2:29 am
Forum Posts: 1

Having done tons of reading and made feeble attempts at saving up the relatively meager sum required to buy even a cheap Cecilio, I must say that I rather enjoyed watching/reading the reviews of the CVN-200/300/500. You can only read about these instruments so much before you have to just hear someone play it to its maximum so that you know what your goal is :-)

Anyone know of a broke college student violin fund? :-P

As for the looks, I prefer the look of the Mendini

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 24, 2011 - 11:41 am
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck in finding the fund.blink

pky
Members

Regulars
July 24, 2011 - 1:43 pm
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

First of all, good luck to you and may you win one from the generous kkmusicstore and Fiddlerman.

I personally like the sound of CVN the best and the look of Mendini 650. Thanks to the fiddlerman for taking his precious time to do the reviews for free!

Oliver
NC

King
Regulars
July 24, 2011 - 5:25 pm
Forum Posts: 2439
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Do we have a date for the next violin lottery drawing or did I miss that?

coffee2

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

pky
Members

Regulars
July 24, 2011 - 5:32 pm
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don't think you missed it, the black electrical violin is coming up on Aug 6th. I think the fiddlerman mentioned that the next draw would be some time in October. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mark, Mouse
Guest(s) 78
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today BaldBeardedViolinist, AnnyJ
Upcoming Squiryl, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7822
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2433
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31671
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog, Adityaail, SoCal335
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5346