Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
cvn 500
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
rex

Members
March 1, 2012 - 7:20 pm
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

does any one know what class a cvn 500 would be in? I have 4 violins- 1 really old, one really cheap,1 electric and the cvn 500. It really sounds great but the music shops say they are junk. It sounds better than there student ones they sell for 3 times as much. I think the 500 is a better violin, thanks

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 1, 2012 - 7:43 pm
Forum Posts: 16430

I think people make up this class thing. You have great sounding violins that are inexpensive and expensive violins that sound bad.
If you are lucky, as you are, you get a great inexpensive violin that sounds great. If it is made of real wood and in good shape, plus sounds great, you have a first class violin.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
March 1, 2012 - 7:54 pm
Forum Posts: 1973

If the violin sounds good to you it is the better violin then.

Crazymotive

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
March 2, 2012 - 3:06 am
Forum Posts: 347

I tend to agree. If it sounds good and it is helping you to learn then it is a good violin.

myguitarnow
Laguna Beach

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
March 2, 2012 - 4:50 pm
Forum Posts: 1094

I was pretty much laughed out of a luthier shop by me when I brought in my CVN 500 and a couple other low cost violins when I started playing this last summer. I have a story about it somewhere on this forum. I just wanted to make sure the sound post was set up good, put some good strings on it and ask questions ext... Right now my CVN 500 is my favorite violin that I own. 

Since then I have visited a few music shops and tried some violins costing a lot more to compare and I liked mine better as well! And welcome to the forum Rex!

screeeech

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
March 2, 2012 - 6:45 pm
Forum Posts: 196

I think how easy it is to play has an impact as well. A violin can sound great but if it  is hard to play it can cause an issue. That being said I still agree that quality or "class" and price are not necessarily linked.

If you are happily progressing and sounding better to yourself, then what a luthier or more likely a "salesman" thinks of your violin is his problem not yours.

You are playing for you!devil-violindevil-violin or shall I say I am playing for me.

rex

Members
March 2, 2012 - 9:07 pm

Thanks everybody for your input. my cvn 500 does sound good and it looks better and seems to be built better than all of the student violins that I have looked at. Just bought a cecilio electric version 1, I play it through my pod and the sound is awsome. it seems to go out of tune-all strings over night. I don't know what kind of strings to buy for it, and I would like to find a replacement pickup (HVPV-30) or something that will fit in its place--any suggestions?

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 2, 2012 - 9:49 pm

I love the Zyex strings. They are as warm as gut, as strong as steel and long lasting.
Don't know which pick up could replace the one that is on it. I do like the Barcus Berry but it is made for acoustic violins.
http://fiddlershop.com/index.p....._name=pick ups&product_id=3832

rex

Members
March 3, 2012 - 12:04 am

do you have them at your store?  and thank you very much for your comparison videos, I just started playing about a year ago. I play guitar, bass and a little banjo but the violin has become a obsession, just can't put it down. I live in northern wisconsin-not very many people play violin/fiddle up here. the local music shop is very limited on violin accessories.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 3, 2012 - 10:33 am
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

You are very welcome!
I have them shipped directly from the Cecilio Music warehouse. This cuts the cost but not having to ship in two directions. I do have one here though.

Moris

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
March 3, 2012 - 1:51 pm
Forum Posts: 140
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rex, I just recently got the CVN500 from FM. The one I had before, I was renting from a local music shop, and it was three times as much as the Cecilio, if I wanted to buy it retail. In my opinion, the CVN500 has as much potential as the one I was renting, if not even better.

But again, the music shops, or luthiers will tell you that stuff you get online is crap, just so you do business with them.

I got pretty lucky with my CVN500, I have been meaning to take it to the local shop where I was renting from, so the luthier can adjust it, but am afraid they are going to start pointing out wrong things with it, when am sure they are just trying to low ball me.

"No one can do everything, but everyone can do something."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: stringy
Guest(s) 62
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5360