Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Mendini MV650
Thanks Fiddlerman
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
ScooterMcTavish

Members
October 18, 2012 - 11:15 pm
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So the daughter's Mendini MV650 came today, and I won't post any A/V on it yet.  I'm waiting for my cheap violin to show up, so I can post some comparison pics, and maybe drag the bow a bit to compare sound.  This being said, my feedback is:

- The wood looks as nice as the one in Fiddlerman's video, including a nice tight grain.  The flamed solid back is quite pretty.

- The finish looked a bit more oil rubbed in the video, and a bit glossier in person.  Still has a pleasant aged look, with nice purfling

- It came set up with the sound post in the right spot, strung with the bridge at the f-hole notches, though strung loosely.  I did have to move the bridge a bit to the side as it has obviously shifted in shipping.

- Chomatic tuner worked fine, and it came with an amber rosin.  Guess I didn't need to rub the bow on it for 15 minutes like Fiddlerman had to do with the Ceclilio white rosin

- Came with a nice cloth, very useful in cleaning off all the extra rosin

- Bows were consistent with what was seen with the Cecilio black violin - one had the proper amount of bow, and one didn't.  However, the other did look like it was left a bit tight in the case, so it may loosen

- I was surprised how easy it was to get tone, and loud tone from the instrument, even for a noob.

- How do you tune these things!  Yikes.  Unlearning again.

- Ebony fittings were all as advertised, including nice mother of pearl accents on the tailpiece and tuning pegs

Really, I found the fit and finish to be comparable with $300-$500 student violins I had physically looked at, and much preferred the antique look to the traditional varnished look I saw on most of the student models.  Even the tuning pegs were a natural and snug fit.

Over all, pretty impressed, and happy to find the sound post in what looks to be a correct position with the correct amount of tension.  I'd have no issues with purchasing another one of these, and thought the resonance that came from the instrument was similar to that on a ~125 year old German one I'd looked at.

So far, so good, though everyone should realize that as a noob, I may not have the best ear for what sounds good and what doesn't. 

Regardless, have some Perlon strings, and both AB Dark and Original Hildersine rosin in the mail (the amber included was very flaky and dry).  Will be curious to see what the daughter's teacher thinks of the sound of the kit.

As a first violin, I'm having a hard time finding fault with this instrument.  Thanks Fiddlerman!

PaTooDoNaLD
Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Members
October 18, 2012 - 11:30 pm
Forum Posts: 40

I loved to know that! 
Maybe a friend of mine is going to USA this year and I was think in ordering one from fiddlershop! 
I'm waiting anxious to know what the teacher thinks!
laugh

"The first and best victory is to conquer self."
Plato.

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
October 19, 2012 - 11:21 am
Forum Posts: 2849

Nice to hear it =) Looks like You liked the violin =)

Congrats! dancing

Have fun now!

violin-1267

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
October 25, 2012 - 2:16 am
Forum Posts: 1817

Awesome... glad your violin has passed the first tests...

Now the real fun begins...thumbs-up

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

ScooterMcTavish

Members
October 25, 2012 - 11:15 pm
Forum Posts: 7

I did promise to report back once the teacher inspected the violin.

In her words, it is a "very nice" violin, not even qualified with the word "student".

Comparing the Mendini to my ultracheap violin, it actually looks like a musical instrument. Mine could qualify as a VSO, while the Mendini is a violin.

YMMV, as some reports state some are good while others are not. We seem to have got a good one. The teacher's only negative comment was that it needs better strings, which was something we expected.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 142
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309