Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
1736 Stradiuarius
Old but nice piece
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Deon

Members
March 14, 2016 - 11:41 am
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi,

I need some more information on this baby.

It says Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonentes, Faciebat Anno 1736(36 in hand writing)

I am not going to sell it but would like to know more about it. It does not say "Made in "Germany or Szchec or any other place. And it does not have the "AS" marking.

It doesnt bother me if its not worth anything as this is my first violin and i want to play

her...:)...She needs some TLC but i will have her fixed. So?

Any information will be valued as i at least want to know where she was born.

Thank guys!!e54184df01aec428fa7c0225dea567c8ee277866_jpg.jpgImage EnlargerIMG-20160226-WA0003.jpgImage Enlarger

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
March 14, 2016 - 12:10 pm
Forum Posts: 3744

Ahhh cool - glad you signed up, and, I had hoped you would post an introduction about that !  (Although there is a separate "introduce yourself" thread - OK - I know not always easy to find among the many)

I've just this minute messaged FM, and there are others around here who know a lot more than me about various marques, makers, dates etc etc.... hope you get some info....

Do you have any idea of its recent history at all ?   It's the history that intrigues me if it really is that old, and the "wonder" of who has held and played it, and where, etc over the years...  wow - pictures in my mind.... La Scala, Fenice, Strasbourg ... oh - I'm struggling on the historic venues.... never mind - 

And welcome aboard @Deon, enjoy the forum !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 14, 2016 - 12:24 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

It is not a Stradivarius.
There are many millions of violins that have similar labels inside. We see them regularly. There were only approximately 2000 instruments made in Stradivarius's workshop and about 650 of them are accounted for. Obviously most instruments would have been discarded by people who didn't know better a long time ago, not to mention accidents and such.
We have people walk into our shop showing us instruments like these and even those who look more authentic thinking that they actually found a real Stradivarius.
It could be a nice instrument when restored. If you just want to get it in playing condition you'll need a bridge (if you don't have one), new strings, a new tailpiece adjuster as this one needs to be shortened and that would be difficult with old gut. Make sure there is a soundest inside the violin before adding tension to the bridge.
You may need to fix that crack, assuming it is a crack and not fixed, or at least work some hide glue into it, to be on the safe side.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
March 14, 2016 - 12:41 pm
Forum Posts: 3744

LOL - told yah - I knew there was someone who would know about this!

Nevertheless, still well cool though if it really is of that age...  lovely to have and bring back to life, and as I mentioned before - just to know a bit of the history throughout its long life would be nice - even if it had never seen La Scala and was only ever used for Irish or Bluegrass (and God forbid Scottish) fiddling - who cares ?  It was played and loved -   LOL  All good !

Keep us advised on its restoration, and when playable, let us hear her sing again - that would be a real treat !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Deon

Members
March 16, 2016 - 2:18 am
Forum Posts: 2

Than you guys...you are awesome. I will try and get as much information as possible and keep you posted. Again...GREAT site!

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 16, 2016 - 3:12 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Look forward to hearing about it Deon.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway
Guest(s) 155
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31663
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
Adityaail, SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309