FORUM

Please have a look at our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Kohr K500+ modified and customized with case/CF bow
My K500 with nice case and CF bow
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (3 votes) 
cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
February 19, 2013 - 7:43 pm
Forum Posts: 1774
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

OK, this is my beloved K500 which I got from FM awhile back. I have 4 violins and a cello now and just have too many violins. My 100 yr old family violin, a 60 yr old antique my daughter got me for Christmas and my original old Chinese student violin I use for testing so one has to go and this is it.

I have done a LOT of testing on this, just ask anyone on the forum and they'll tell you how awesome this one is. I'm including a very nice case and an original fiddlerman Carbon Fiber bow...ALL in mint excellent condition.

The violin has been upgraded to the Boxwood pegs and chinrest and tailpiece. It has been setup scientifically using my sound analysis software and the bridge took me about 5 tries and about 28 attempts at perfection to make it. You can see it being played by fiddlerman before I spent hours tuning it further on you tube.

Download the pdf and read all the details. This is an excellent beginner or intermediate violin and has an incredible sound. You won't be disappointed in the least.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

cdennyb
Members

Regulars
March 3, 2013 - 4:28 am

cdennyb said
OK, this is my beloved K500 which I got from FM awhile back. I have 4 violins and a cello now and just have too many violins. My 100 yr old family violin, a 60 yr old antique my daughter got me for Christmas and my original old Chinese student violin I use for testing so one has to go and this is it.

I have done a LOT of testing on this, just ask anyone on the forum and they'll tell you how awesome this one is. I'm including a very nice case and an original fiddlerman Carbon Fiber bow...ALL in mint excellent condition.

The violin has been upgraded to the Boxwood pegs and chinrest and tailpiece. It has been setup scientifically using my sound analysis software and the bridge took me about 5 tries and about 28 attempts at perfection to make it. You can see it being played by fiddlerman before I spent hours tuning it further on you tube.

Download the pdf and read all the details. This is an excellent beginner or intermediate violin and has an incredible sound. You won't be disappointed in the least.

OK, I just sold the cello so the Kohr is all thats left to sell. Don't miss out. This is a complete ready to play package deal. You don't need anything else but talent.

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Mt. Fiddler
Adirondacks, NY
Members

Regulars
March 3, 2013 - 9:44 pm
Forum Posts: 134

What is the brand of the spectrum software you use? This violin looks like a super-deal and well below market price.  I don't have the money, but have you priced this too low?

Mt. Fiddler.

cdennyb
Members

Regulars
March 4, 2013 - 3:01 am

I use the free downloaded program called Audacity. I then extract the data spectrum analysis data stream and add it to an excel spreadsheet where I convert the data to a chart for visual representation.

It might be a tad low priced for what it is and the quality of sound produced by this instrument but everyone knows me here and I don't mind helping someone to get a really super instrument that'll keep them interested and focused on their playing, now as a beginner and into their intermediate studies.

I have 4 violins soit isn't like I'm not able to continue playing. LOL

UtahRoadbase
Members
May 19, 2013 - 11:09 pm
Forum Posts: 33

So am I understanding you correctly -- do you make bridges?

cdennyb
Members

Regulars
May 20, 2013 - 3:12 am

Yes, I do, and I use computer assisted sound analysis software to modify it as well during the creation. I also setup violins, do string changes, add tailpieces, make and set sound posts, etc. just about anything I need to do to get the best sound the violin will put out. I don't seperate the cases or make those kind of repairs though. I leave them up to my teacher and master luthier friend I do some PT work for. He has the shop with all the necessary tools and he has the skills I have a long way to go to learn.

If you'd like to give it a try... here's a link to an article I wrote for the members here.

http://fiddlerman.com/forum/th.....ridge-pdf/

UtahRoadbase
Members
May 20, 2013 - 12:14 pm

Awesome, thanks! I'll read the article your posted. I have a bridge that was for a different violin that I own. I was an idiot (many years ago) and put it on my normal violin. Long story short, it broke. I'd like to replicate it if possible because it's a really unique shape/style, but of course set it up for my violin so it doesn't break.

Thanks again.

UtahRoadbase
Members
May 20, 2013 - 1:19 pm

I just finished your article and I really appreciated it. I was wondering, though, if it's the "blank" that I want to make. Is this basically impossible to do without training and expertise? Sounds like most of them are laser cut and stuff which obviously, I don't have the capacity to do.

Thanks again.

cdennyb
Members

Regulars
May 29, 2013 - 1:03 am

Making a bridge from true scratch, is near impossible since availability to those true blank chunks of hard maple are hard to get.

There's a lot of really great bridge blanks out there and they are, like 6-8mm thick at the feet and of course really tall because you always cut them down after setting the feet curvature to your specific violin top and string height.

Teller, albrecht (sp?), and others are usually about $6.00 to $10.00 each and if you buy a half dozen the price obviously goes down a little.

I usually buy a dozen at a time and that's because I've found a bridge I'm comfortable working with, they are consistent in thickness, hardness, and color and I can easily shape them and get similiar results.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
May 29, 2013 - 6:41 am
Forum Posts: 11694
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Which bridge is that Dennis?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

cdennyb
Members

Regulars
May 30, 2013 - 1:47 am
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

the last bunch I used was a beautiful collection of Tellers.

I've wondered about carbon fiber bridges and have read a little about how they aren't as good as the old fashion maple bridges so I never pursued it any further.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
May 30, 2013 - 8:37 am
Forum Posts: 11694
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

No idea about the CF bridges either. Haven't even played on one.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

cdennyb
Members

Regulars
June 6, 2013 - 1:02 am
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

UtahRoadbase said
Awesome, thanks! I'll read the article your posted. I have a bridge that was for a different violin that I own. I was an idiot (many years ago) and put it on my normal violin. Long story short, it broke. I'd like to replicate it if possible because it's a really unique shape/style, but of course set it up for my violin so it doesn't break.
Thanks again.

http://violinbridges.co.uk/sea.....8;link=all

This web site has about a 1000+ bridges and maybe you could look through them (I know, it'll take awhile) and see if you can recognize the old bridge you had.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 231

Currently Online:
39 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Ginnysg
Upcoming HeadCheese, lakelivr, harvestman, fiddlinmama

Top Posters:

coolpinkone: 3755