Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman's 2015 Group Christmas Project - War Is Over - Happy Christmas
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (4 votes) 
ladyeclectic

Members
December 12, 2015 - 2:17 pm
Forum Posts: 45
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
61sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, just did three play throughs of the click track and myself and, aside from my bowing being scratchy as &@$#, I managed the whole thing. Best part is, my shoulder isn't hurting like it had been earlier this week! (A trip to the chiropractors might have helped)

I'm going to keep this up and, if all goes well, I hope to record either tonight or tomorrow. I've already recorded myself a few times just to check it out, I sound pretty bad lol but at least I'm mostly on beat and in tune (except for flubs and when I go too fast/slow/skewed/wonky on bowing). :D

RedViolin
Members

Regulars
December 13, 2015 - 12:41 pm
Forum Posts: 154
62sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well done @ladyeclectic and everyone else :)

I've finished my recordings and upload (4:40am local time!), I'm a bit nervous they're not good enough to include as I'm still truly terrible (and don't want to ruin the fine efforts of everyone else!!) but I'll let @Fiddlerman make that call. I'm looking forward to seeing the final piece! Thanks for everything you do @Fiddlerman!

Now I'm off to bed!

gingerbreadhouseMerry Christmas all!christmascandle

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 13, 2015 - 9:01 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
63sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK, I've recorded and uploaded Violin 1 and Violin 3 parts, for better or worse...mostly worse. Very glad that Pierre can edit and turn the volume down on my part.

facepalmviolin-student

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
December 13, 2015 - 9:34 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
64sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congrats Diane.  My day was so busy with soap and a run and Holiday projects.  My timing is off...  I hope to record tomorrow after work.  Sigh... 

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 14, 2015 - 11:01 am
Forum Posts: 16439
65sp_Permalink sp_Print

I haven't started mixing so no hurry. Let's move it to Friday for now. :)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

ladyeclectic

Members
December 14, 2015 - 12:46 pm
66sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just tried recording and, holy crap, the birds won't freaking shut up! It's too cold to move them outside for any length of time so, unless they stop complaining about my playing, I'll have to wait until tonight to try and get my set recorded. 

AnnyJ
Members

Regulars
December 14, 2015 - 1:20 pm
Forum Posts: 264
67sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad to know there are still a few days, tried to record last night and boy was it bad... I have no idea what happened, but I sounded like I've never picked up a violin in my life frown. I hope I can get it at least back to where I had it a week ago.

It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself. Johann S.Bach

Just4Fun
Members
December 14, 2015 - 2:29 pm
Forum Posts: 62
68sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's been an insane month or 2, so I had to settle for part 4, but at least it's done and currently uploading! I also attempted cello but I couldn't handle the G# since I'm strictly first position still on cello. Maybe next time.  But yay, can't wait to watch the final cut!  Already getting excited thinking about a St. Patrick's day project ?  

ladyeclectic

Members
December 14, 2015 - 4:55 pm
69sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a question. I'm using my iPhone to record myself (and my iPad to play the soundtrack through headphones) but I'm not sure where to upload it? The files are too big to send via email and my Dropbox is pretty full, how do we send the finalized videos on up?

AnnyJ
Members

Regulars
December 14, 2015 - 6:24 pm
70sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ladyeclectic you have to do it through http://www.sprend.com, 

" SPREND the MP4/MPEG-4 preferred video file to [email protected]"

It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself. Johann S.Bach

Abby
Canada

Members
December 15, 2015 - 1:08 pm
Forum Posts: 6
71sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys! This is my first time posting and participating in the Group Christmas project. I submitted my video last Sunday and I sound absolutely terrible. At least I managed to get through it somewhat in tempo. I emailed Pierre the link to my mp4 using Google Drive instead of SPREND. Hope this is okay.

I started the violin a month ago and I love it, but for some reason my face naturally frowns while playing. Forcing myself to smile while playing looks unnatural. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I want to improve my stage presence :)

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2015 - 2:31 pm
Forum Posts: 595
72sp_Permalink sp_Print

I continued to be plagued with this endless comedy of errors. I graciously admit defeat. So sad to have missed yet another opportunity to participate, but I have full faith that Fiddlerman will set the stage for my redemption in the near future. Perhaps St Paddy's day? Maybe sooner. Who knows which way the winds will blow the rosin dust...

Can't wait for the finished product. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah to all my fiddler man friends

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2015 - 7:15 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
73sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can't be in time for this one. Things are messy lately =/ The first Christmas project i'm unable to participate in =/ Sorry! =(

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 16, 2015 - 5:27 pm
Forum Posts: 16439
74sp_Permalink sp_Print

Please, do not worry about sounding bad. I look for what is good. When I mix, I can do balance and fix things that way.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

ladyeclectic

Members
December 16, 2015 - 6:44 pm
75sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh Lordy I should have just gone ahead with the original deadline! Now I have family in town and it's taking me away more than I thought. I'm going to try and get something recorded tonight (I don't know if there'll be much Christmas decorating :( ), fingers crossed there aren't too many errors. I have a few other recordings that could work if all else fails!

Now, off to see my newly arrived nephews!!! :D :D

AnnyJ
Members

Regulars
December 17, 2015 - 3:12 pm
76sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman Can videos still be submitted on Friday or is Friday the day you start mixing?

I made two last night, there not as good as I'd like them to be. Each one of them has some mistakes, I can"t decide though which one is better...

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 17, 2015 - 9:20 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
77sp_Permalink sp_Print

Abby said

I started the violin a month ago and I love it, but for some reason my face naturally frowns while playing. Forcing myself to smile while playing looks unnatural. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this? I want to improve my stage presence :)

I've been playing almost four years and I have yet to be able to smile while playing. Ask anyone here...I'm known for my lack of smile in my videos. :) I'm with you, Abby; when I try to smile it just looks like a grimace and I lose my concentration and mess up.

One thing that has helped me look a little more natural (I think), if not actually smile, is playing tunes by heart rather than from sheet music. Staring unblinkingly at sheet music makes me look like a zombie, but when I play from memory I can at least look around, look at my fiddle, close my eyes, etc.

If you only want to play classical music, I guess that's not going to help you, but if you're an aspiring fiddler, give it a try.

-- Diane

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

intrepidgirl
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Members

Regulars
December 17, 2015 - 10:41 pm
Forum Posts: 290
78sp_Permalink sp_Print

@KindaScratchy: I too have the fiddler-zombie look in some of my practice videos.  Very funny actually when you watch them.  I find memorization is definitely helpful, but I am afraid for the Christmas thing I am, yes, a zombie...(but I do crack a small smile here and there).

AnnyJ
Members

Regulars
December 18, 2015 - 8:28 pm
79sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, after downloading and literally working 6 hrs on the editor I'm officially out. I just couldn't get and still can't get it cut.cry  I feel like such a dinosaur...

PopFiddle

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
December 20, 2015 - 12:50 pm
Forum Posts: 175

I completely missed this project.  I guess I was waiting for some kind of notice or something.  I just happened to see the thread and realized there was a Christmas project.

Oops.

I'd like to see some kind of mailing list or something to notify those who wish to participate in the group projects that the music is available.  Then we could grab the music as soon as it is posted and get the most practice time in before the deadline.  I got a late start on the Rising Sun project because I wasn't checking in to the site regularly.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse
Guest(s) 145
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming anonkid, KindaScratchy, freesbee, paulinefiddle, Allenph, oneloudmime, MsJoy, Sandybourne, Ripton, Space., loveluach, husseinHr, reedc83, Guido, A. V. Suvorov, Scrap, DennisS, JiminTexas, mcwey, Fashionandfiddle, Giovanni
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 8088
ABitRusty: 4008
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2455
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2177
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31703
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10642
Newest Members:
alisawilson, justinbrown, joshiburman, jamesmartinjs12, davidmorgan, OliviaErin, pbstrings, nayaghosh, henrykang, anna.byrne80
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16439, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5448