Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
A 440 vs A 443
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
gStretch

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2011 - 2:04 am
Forum Posts: 260
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

i was just wondering why the tuner on the site is A 443,  since concert pitch is A 440. 

the chromatic tuner that came with the cecilio violin has the ability to set the frequency of A, so i set it to 443 and its about 10 cents sharp from 440.

-g

Chinny
Perth

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2011 - 4:13 am
Forum Posts: 367

FM has explained this one quite a few times. It's because 443hz is what orchestras typically use but the official standard for a A note is 440hz. I think that was the reasoning anyways. Can't really remember LOL

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 6, 2011 - 7:05 am
Forum Posts: 16429

I cut this out of a Wiki article:

In practice the orchestras tune to a note given out by the oboe, and many oboists use an electronic tuning device. When playing with fixed-pitch instruments such as the piano, the orchestra will generally tune to them—a piano will normally have been tuned to the orchestra's normal pitch. Overall, it is thought that the general trend since the middle of the 20th century has been for standard pitch to rise, though it has been rising far more slowly than it has in the past. Some orchestras like the Berliner Philharmoniker now use a slightly lower pitch (443 Hz) than their highest previous standard (445 Hz).

Read the whole thing HERE.

Orchestras have been tuning higher and for that reason it is the natural sounding pitch for a lot of us professional musicians. Wind instruments are even built to have a higher pitch naturally. Even though the intruments can be adjusted slightly higher and lower there is the normal middle point which happens to fall around that point.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

gStretch

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2011 - 2:26 pm

hmm. ok:)

so we really dont know what the music of bach or mozart or beethoven sounded like.

-g

myguitarnow
Laguna Beach

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2011 - 4:51 pm
Forum Posts: 1094

No G! The difference between 443 and even 445 or more and back to 440 is nothing to worry about but for sure it is something to study about for ear training. Nothing is really exactly in tune. Bach whatever. There is a very small difference. Notes can sound a little brighter at 443 than 440 but will still sound in key. Think about all the different types of instruments. It's your own style that will get you there and then you can figure out how to jam with others in tune. Practice, Practice and more Practice. jimi-hendrix

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 6, 2011 - 10:00 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

If I play Bach for you tuned to a 440 A, then play it again with a 445 A, chances are that you won't hear the difference unless I begin immediately or you have an incredible pitch memory. The intervals between notes will be exactly the same either way.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

gStretch

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2011 - 11:28 pm

but if i learn the violin mainly with my ear at A 443 then try and play A 440 itll sound flat.  it already does sound flat since i put the tuner back on A 440. 

The intervals between notes will be exactly the same either way.

thats true.  

im just used to the piano (or keyboard in my case) where its a fixed pitch. but i do have a pitch bender on the keyboard...not quite the same thing though :)

-g 

myguitarnow
Laguna Beach

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
November 7, 2011 - 1:07 am
Forum Posts: 1094

You're getting too detailed G. I tune at 440 because that's what I am used to. FM tunes at 443 cause that is what he is used to. All instruments are at a different pitch a little from each other including the piano. If you hear a difference on your violin playing from 443 to 440 it is your finger positions and or your violin strings that slip out of tune a bit, or you have a very sharp ear and playing perfect??? The violin has no frets and everyones finger size is a little different so learn how to adjust to hear the right notes. Don't fret it, just jam ;-) Make sure to jam to audio if you want to play along with others. jimi-hendrix

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mark
Guest(s) 131
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7762
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31663
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
Adityaail, SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5310