Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Cecilio CVA-600 FAIL
Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 (1 votes) 
Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
January 7, 2013 - 11:40 am
Forum Posts: 1973
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Barry, I think we'll have to start to call you lucky.  When you pay 400 for a violin you expect better workmanship than that.  I think the CVN100 I got is better than that.

I had a little chuckle about the CVA instead of CVN.  CVA is Connecticut Valley Arms. They make black powder rifles.  Maybe the violin will work better if you fill it with black powder and blow it up.

Send it back and get your money back and get the concert master or the K550.

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
January 7, 2013 - 12:08 pm

I forgot you went over to the dark side. Are you my father?

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
January 7, 2013 - 4:03 pm
Forum Posts: 4180

Wow Barry that instrument is disappointing on many levels. What a drag.

Good luck in getting a new model! You play well and deserve something much better for the money.

Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
January 7, 2013 - 4:05 pm
Forum Posts: 2849

Foooh! Dangerous viola! yell

VinceKnight
Middlfield, Ohio
Members
January 7, 2013 - 6:11 pm
Forum Posts: 86

Barry said

@Naska....that protuding end pin could have been dangerous...lol

Or removed and used as a touch hole for a cannon fuse devil-violin

Sorry the re-enactor side of me decided to take over for a second :D

The pack depends upon the wolf, and the wolf depends upon the pack. The loss of one means the destruction of the other.

AdverseD

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
January 7, 2013 - 7:39 pm
Forum Posts: 110

Sorry to see this happened to you Barry! I suggest the k550 viola instead.

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
January 8, 2013 - 12:12 am
Forum Posts: 1817

well, I'm all for scouring the flea markets and thrift shops for no-name violins and violas that would be far better than that!facepalm

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
January 8, 2013 - 7:25 am

The prblem with flea markets and thrift stores is what used to be $50.00 is now $500.00.  It seems that lately violins and anything even shaped like a violin have gone way up in price.  I have seen violins worth, in their current condition, $75.00 go for $250.00.

Watchtower68
Fillmore Indiana,U.S.A

Members
January 8, 2013 - 2:46 pm
Forum Posts: 36

Wow!!

Sorry for such an experience I just recently purchased one under the same brand but much cheaper it came with two bows a tuner etc,in a case that might be good to carry a Tommy gun in latter.

I'll post something latter this evening as I'm heading to Depauw university to have this thing looked over by someone who should know more about it than I do,I've noticed something about all this import stuff that seems to happen over and over again.

The manufactures will produce enough of what ever product their making to get a good name for themselves you'll read good reviews of them and then after about a year or so if that long then they start passing trash off and it just goes down hill from there,and anyone who tries to inform the public about it gets attached as a complainer,or told they don't know anything.

So from me to you thanks for posting it looks as if the same workmanship went into your $400.00 violin that went into my $80.00 violin package deal,and the finger board coloring or discoloring is pretty much the same its not ebony or I don't believe it to be.

DanielB
Regulars

Members
January 8, 2013 - 3:20 pm
Forum Posts: 2379

Well, not all ebony is pure black.  It frequently has lighter streaks or may be a bit lighter in colour overall, depending on soil conditions and other factors.  That is why most violin fingerboards and fittings are dyed, since people tend to assume that the pure black is the "real stuff".  There is only so much ebony in the world markets on any given year that is actually pure black and undyed.  It being pure black isn't a guarantee of quality either, since there can still be flaws in the grain and etc even on naturally black ebony.

However, none of that excuses the workmanship issues at the price level. 

Better luck with the next try, Barry. 

"This young wine may have a lot of tannins now, but in 5 or 10 years it is going to be spectacular, despite the fact that right now it tastes like crude oil. You know this is how it is supposed to taste at this stage of development." ~ Itzhak Perlman

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
January 8, 2013 - 8:56 pm
Forum Posts: 2647
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, Dan, I have three violin's and none of my fingerboard's are dyed or stained. They are real ebony, I believe. Some really cheap violin's, you can see the grain of the wood and I think some are even painted rather than dyed. I remember one of the member's here removed all the paint/stain/dye, whatever it was and showed only the bare wood, which had a knot in it.

@ Barry,,, I was kinda thinking the CVA you bought may have been a returned piece and they thought they could pass it off on some unsuspecting newbie.. That certainly  was a poor example of workmanship. I 'm happy you sent it back. 

DanielB
Regulars

Members
January 8, 2013 - 9:19 pm
Forum Posts: 2379
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

That was me, Fiddlestix.  It was also actual paint.  Once the paint was scraped/sanded off, it was light wood and had a knot in it.  A knot won't necessarily make a bad sounding guitar fretboard, so I reckon it isn't necessarily bad in a fingerboard.  So long as it isn't loose and doesn't add any odd resonances or wolf tones or make notes near it dead.  Not optimal either, though.

And that was a Mendini MV-300.  Mendinis are also Cecilio products. 

Assorted issues of materials and workmanship were why I decided to try a different manufacturer than Cecilio when I went to buy another acoustic violin.

"This young wine may have a lot of tannins now, but in 5 or 10 years it is going to be spectacular, despite the fact that right now it tastes like crude oil. You know this is how it is supposed to taste at this stage of development." ~ Itzhak Perlman

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 101
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296