Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
CVN 200
before and after
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 1:51 pm
Forum Posts: 1973
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

My daughter bought a CVN-200 from KK music. She got it on sale for $79.95 and free shipping. A few things I noticed right off the bat. The stain that was used was not wiped off correctly and in a lot of spots it covers the purfling.  The bridge is extremely thick and is too high. The nut is also too high and the string spacins is not even.  The sound post looks to be in the right spot but it is too long and too tight in the violin.  This is evident fron the f hole not being flush.  I plan on repairng these items, except the finish and seeing how it sounds then putting on better strings and again hearing the change. Photos to follow.

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 2:35 pm

cvn200-1.jpgImage Enlargercvn200-2.jpgImage Enlargercvn200-3.jpgImage Enlargercvn200-4.jpgImage Enlargercvn200-5.jpgImage Enlargercvn200-6.jpgImage Enlargercvn200-7.jpgImage Enlargercvn200-8.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 2:40 pm
Forum Posts: 1731

Dis the shop advise that it wasn't a perfect specimen when they advertised the Sale price?

If not, it's lucky you are a capable guy Kevin.f I bought a violin without being told all those 

I am amazed at how old people of my age are.....

TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 2:43 pm

Imperfections oops, I'm still havin g problems making and editing posts. I keep being asked if I want to copy and open JavaScript .

Lucky I'm a Limey and mostfor the things i say make no sense anyhow! Hahag 

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 2:46 pm

Here's something for Denny

TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 3:16 pm

sounds like its coming from an oboeThe G 

TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 3:21 pm

Would thinning the bridge automatically reduce the height and keep the leglengths the same?

Or are the legs too high as well?

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 3:53 pm

The height of the bridge has to come down fron the top and then the entire thickness has to be less. The G sounds like that due to the sound post being too tight and the E very weak because of the sound post.  As tension is taken offf the treble side it will improve the E and mellow out the G.

Barry
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 4:29 pm
Forum Posts: 2690

Hell, thats mild compared to all that was wrong with the CVA-600 Im returning and it was $400  

There is no shame in playing twinkle, youre playing Mozart

RosinedUp

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 4:45 pm
Forum Posts: 985
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Barry said
Hell, thats mild compared to all that was wrong with the CVA-600 Im returning and it was $400  

What all was wrong?

Barry
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 6:22 pm
Forum Posts: 2690
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fingerboard has a distinct seperation near the heel, maybe 1 & a half inches long. In time Im sure it would have came off. also it appears they cut the neck wrong at that point and inserted a shim to make up the difference, The soundpost where it sits on the back plate had either glue or stain, not sure, like it was glued in place. pegs were not fitted right at all, barely in the hole on the opposing side. end pin stuck out so far and the hole so large I feared it would fly out under tension.  Large amounts of glue on the heel of the neck. Grit in the neck finish. finger prints in the body finish as if touched wet. shoddy purfuling. Huge glob of finish on the scroll about the size of a pea.  Only one bow when there was supposed to be two. Fine tuners hard to turn. Lots of varnish beads around the ribs.  Case was full of shavings and some as large as a thumbnail.

My CVA-400 at $159 not only sounds better, but the craftmanship and finish is nicer. There was so much I may have missed listing something.

oh, cork sticking out and misaligned under chin rest and the chinrest itself was  scratched up like it was old. I doubt the fingerboard was ebony as brown showed through the "paint" in 3 or 4 places. I knew Id forgot a couple

confused

There is no shame in playing twinkle, youre playing Mozart

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 7:51 pm
Forum Posts: 1817
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the sound sample!

ill run a trace and save it. When youre done with your repairs post another and we can see how much you improved it!

i expect youll make a 100% improvement on it.

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

RosinedUp

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
December 24, 2012 - 7:54 pm
Forum Posts: 985
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Barry: Wow, that's bad.  My MV400 was the same way with the pegs, but they hold okay, and I figure it leaves more wood for future reamings.  Only thing I really don't like is that it is about 100 grams too heavy.  I made a new bridge and shortened the sound post.  But I only paid $80.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 26, 2012 - 9:28 am
Forum Posts: 16430
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ Kevin - Don't assume that the post is too long, as I'm sure you know. Move it around and see how tight it is.
The top could have reshaped and risen where the post is. This is common and usually takes time to occur but with these cheap instruments the wood might not have been dry enough when they made it and fitted the sound-post.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
December 26, 2012 - 9:51 am
Forum Posts: 2647
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

I haven't made very many post's in a while. I was called to work at my old job for about a week and haven't been keeping track of what's going on here.

@ Kevin,,, I'm really surprised at the purchase of the CVN-200 and you with your knowlege about violin's for accepting it in the received condition that it's in. Sale or no sale, if it was me (but it's not) it would be back in the mail to K&K Music, pronto.

There is no reason that you should have to make/fix all the wrong's with it and I know you are totally capable of doing them. I would have paid a little extra money to get a good one, not a second quality instrument. They''re just trying to clean out their poor quality inventory for the year by running a great sounding sale. As Terry said, did they advertise second quality condition ?

$20.00 more would have gotten one from Fiddlershop.

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
December 26, 2012 - 10:13 am
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

What you don't understand is that this violin first was a gift from my daughter and second she bought it knowing I would fix it up and give it away.  The violin is playable but I want to bring it up to be as good of a violin as it can be before donating it.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
December 26, 2012 - 10:23 am
Forum Posts: 2647
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now, I got it. You didn't say that in the beginning post.

Sorry, Kev.

Brandy

Members
December 26, 2012 - 12:49 pm
Forum Posts: 2
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

KevinM you are a decent and good role model of generosity. The people who are regulars on this venue of ideas, learning and friendship astonish me on each visit. Hugs to you all. smile

I look forward to seeing/hearing your final efforts before you confer the little treasure into an otherwise musically lacking home.

DanielB
Regulars

Members
December 26, 2012 - 1:53 pm
Forum Posts: 2379
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking forward to seeing what you can manage with it, Kevin.  Your projects are always fascinating to follow.

"This young wine may have a lot of tannins now, but in 5 or 10 years it is going to be spectacular, despite the fact that right now it tastes like crude oil. You know this is how it is supposed to taste at this stage of development." ~ Itzhak Perlman

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
December 27, 2012 - 1:38 am
Forum Posts: 1817

Kevin, just fyi, here's the trace of your CVN200 before.

The top end looks really nice, very smooth, but the bass response has a lot of P & V's.

You know where to work on it... look forward to the next sample.

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Jim Dunleavy, Strabo
Guest(s) 66
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5360