Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
New Group Project(s) for 2020?
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (22 votes) 
Mouse
June 24, 2020 - 7:28 am
Forum Posts: 5305
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

That looks better, @AndrewH I am one of the beginners and have not dealt with other keys. The keys I have mostly done are the common C, G and D. We have touched on B flat and E flat major. The E flat major was just the scale. I don’t recall any pieces we did. I am currently working on a piece in B flat major. But if there are a lot of flats and sharps, I am completely lost. I would pass on that because working on that and my hugely difficult lesson pieces would not work. I never ever get the lesson pieces down to where I am comfortable before we move on (I will be talking to my instructor about that, so please do not comment about that here. This is about the next group project).

I hope this helps with the range of levels we are all at. I do not have a problem with a cello piece that is added with just whole, half or quarter notes in those keys that are not in rapid succession and then there could be cello pieces that actually have what should be played. Does that make sense? It does not bore me or make me less interested in participating. It would actually be a learning experience in that key.

It would be nice to be able to have a shot at getting it right, like the two group projects I did participate in. I don’t have a shot at getting my lesson pieces correct and I am so afraid this will be the same. Listening and watching it sounds and looks easy, but if there are a ton of flats or sharps, or eighth or faster, odd time signatures, etc., I am thinking I will watch the final project. That is fine, I enjoy watching them, so please do not base it on my comments. I am just explaining my level and issues.

I do have a thought, though. If the timing is right, I could ask my instructor to use it as my lesson work! Then it could be worked on all the time and be done in time to be recorded to send in. That is actually not a bad idea.  But the key it is in key is key, and it can’t be too difficult. Does this help, @Fiddlerman?

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
June 24, 2020 - 7:39 am
Forum Posts: 3744
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
42sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just been listening through these various pieces, @AndrewH @fiddlrman @ABitRusty (oh, and others...)

I see possibilities in all !!!!   I can't choose !

Great suggestions folks.  Some I was aware of (without actually knowing the piece-names or composers) and others, well, they are interestingly-new to me, and I'm always up for a challenge!

Must admit, I'm kind of struck by Pierre's idea of a final video exhibiting a conductor-led virtual strings ensemble...  different.

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Mouse
June 24, 2020 - 7:43 am
43sp_Permalink sp_Print

BillyG said
Must admit, I'm kind of struck by Pierre's idea of a final video exhibiting a conductor-led virtual strings ensemble...  different.

I like that idea, too. I really like it.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
June 24, 2020 - 8:33 am
Forum Posts: 1692
44sp_Permalink sp_Print

When my orchestra recorded a virtual orchestra video two months ago, we followed a conductor video instead of a click track. Our conductor followed a recording of our own performance of the same piece in 2016, which was included in the video, so we were listening to the recording on headphones and watching him conduct.

If anything involves tempo changes or rubato, I think a conductor video with a good recording of the piece would work nicely -- though if it needs to be transposed to an easier key that might complicate things.

Mouse
June 24, 2020 - 11:20 am

Remember, a lot of us do not play in an orchestra and have no clue how to follow a conductor and would benefit from a click track.

I have to look at my music, look down and check my fingering periodically, etc. I would like to do it with Pierre conducting, but would still need to listen to a click track because I cannot be looking at the conductor as a total guide. It depends on how difficult the parts are, so not going to worry about it right now, but, I think that it has to be taken into consideration that many of us play at home, not in an orchestra. 

I have no idea what doing rubato is, or how to do it, or how you would know when to do it. I think if it gets too advanced, we lose a lot of participants. Just my thoughts about what to consider. I hope it can be worked out with the conductor, a click track and a piece that has simple parts.

The Bumblebee Flies!

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
June 24, 2020 - 1:03 pm
46sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rubato isn't a technique. It just means flexible tempo, with the performer taking some expressive liberties instead of playing in strict tempo. In any conducted ensemble, you just follow the conductor.

Regarding not playing with a click track, we still had a recording that we were listening to -- just not the metronome clicks. As long as the piece isn't too complicated, it might be enough to listen to. The reason I mention this is that Pierre wanted to play the Barber Adagio in a more free tempo, and that makes it harder to produce a click track.

It is hard to balance two competing needs, because some people want more of a challenge than past projects, while it still needs to be possible to arrange to include beginners. I've been trying to suggest pieces that I think fit those needs.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 24, 2020 - 2:39 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
47sp_Permalink sp_Print

grandpafiddle said
What we all need to do is buy all the instruments and equipment we can from Fiddlershop. Then Pierre's profits will increase and he'll be able to afford additional employees freeing up his time to do a Group Project every month. When we have enough songs, he can put out an album resulting in more profit. Then, we'll all jump on Pierre's boat and do a concert tour up the east coast. You all agree?

Ya, I know - there I go thinking again......

grandpaviolin

Terrific idea. LOL.
Seriously though, we are doing great.

AndrewH said
The Barber Adagio may not be that bad an idea, come to think of it.

The version I had in mind was the original quartet version, where you can see the musicians are playing a lot more notes per bow. Legato is easier when you have a whole orchestra.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....=lKrxPTePX

I like all of your suggestions but I'm kind of excited out about how beautiful the Barber is. When I played professionally, it was kind of a piece that we performed enough that it was no big deal. But after getting away from it for a while and listening again I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, you are right, I can write alternative bowings that are very generous and allow the player to move the bow. Personally, I'll consider it a challenge to play very long legato bows. :)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mouse
June 24, 2020 - 3:34 pm
48sp_Permalink sp_Print

Looking forward to it. We know you will do it up so it is possible at all our levels. 👍

The Bumblebee Flies!

Mouse
June 24, 2020 - 3:37 pm
49sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman 

When you start posting the project, will it be done as a new thread in the Group project section so it is easy to find and is with the other Group Projects?

The Bumblebee Flies!

violingal
Members
June 24, 2020 - 9:34 pm
Forum Posts: 14
50sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fun discussions. I am a new member participated in the last two projects.  I  also play in a community orchestra.  I have enjoyed and used the lessons, loved the various levels to choose from and the click track was a big help when I recorded my video.  I just had a conversation with my teacher about slow easy pieces.  She suggested using the slower pieces as a challenge for long bowing, seamless changes and producing a beautiful consistent tone. I don't know about you but that can be a challenge for me. I am relearning vibrato, as I am really tight and need to calm the vibrato down.  Any suggestions??

All the pieces sound interesting and I look forward to the next project.   Is it possible to have one overall conductor lead video to follow, but also have click tracks for individual parts?  I think Fiddlerman being the conductor is perfect.

Fiddlerman you said to remind you about the video project tag. I have done 2 videos, so need my video project tag, yeah! CID, thanks for your welcoming emails when I joined.violin_girl

Cheers, Violingal

Mouse
June 24, 2020 - 9:39 pm
51sp_Permalink sp_Print

@violingal You are welcome.

The Bumblebee Flies!

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
June 24, 2020 - 11:02 pm
52sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, speaking of which, I should get the group project tag as well after playing in the Game of Thrones project.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
June 24, 2020 - 11:27 pm
Forum Posts: 7759
53sp_Permalink sp_Print

AndrewH -I should have said youngsters!

Actually, I was quite surprised at what appeared (to me) to be maybe >30 violinists under the age of 21 (or there abouts) that participated in the Game Of Thrones project.

I know, looks can be deceiving but it still made me think to ask about them.  Still curious about what young adults like to play... btw, I felt I was an adult at 16.

Fiddlerman - All the effort you put into these projects is amazing and I appreciate why you would pick Adagio.

Confident you'll give us good pointers on all the parts of this new project & no matter what, I'll be the better for participating. 

At least this time I won't be trying to learn something at the last minute!

- Emily

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
June 25, 2020 - 5:20 am
54sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope some of them are members of this forum and can answer?

But in my experience, young adults, at all levels from beginner to pro, tend to be ambitious. In community orchestras I've played in, it's mostly the younger members who push for more challenging music.

As for the real youngsters: my orchestra operates a youth orchestra program. Every year, in our last concert of the season, we play a short piece "side-by-side" with the kids, where each of the youth orchestra players sits next to one of the adult musicians. It's something the kids get excited about every year. We have two youth orchestra levels, the Juniors (upper intermediate to advanced) and the Cadets (beginner to lower intermediate). For the side-by-side, we typically select an intermediate-level piece that the Juniors should all be able to play well; the Juniors play the same music as us and the Cadets get simplified parts that are about Suzuki Book 3 level.

What we've played since we started doing the side-by-side performances:

2015 - Shostakovich, Waltz No. 2 from Jazz Suite No. 2

2016 - Brahms, Hungarian Dance No. 5

2017 - Grieg, In the Hall of the Mountain King

2018 - Elgar, Chanson de Matin

2019 - J. Strauss Sr., Radetzky March

Irv
Members

Regulars
June 25, 2020 - 9:38 am
Forum Posts: 1650
55sp_Permalink sp_Print

Felix Mendelssohn and Robert Schumann wrote piano accompaniments for Bach violin pieces.  Joshua Bell commissioned Julian Milone to expand the accompaniments for chamber orchestra and used three of them on the album “Joshua Bell Bach, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields” Sony Classical.  The pieces are Chaconne, Air, and Gavotte en Rondeau.

The Chaconne obviously will require some serious chops for the solo.  The other parts are much easier.  

The other two pieces present few difficulties.

Success is the progressive realisation of a worthy ideal. —Earl Nightingale.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 26, 2020 - 2:24 pm
56sp_Permalink sp_Print

AndrewH said
Oh, speaking of which, I should get the group project tag as well after playing in the Game of Thrones project.

Of course you get one. Thanks for pointing it out.

As always, I encourage all of you to reach out to me. I need help with that. 😁

intrepidgirl
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Members

Regulars
June 27, 2020 - 12:51 am
Forum Posts: 290
57sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am liking the Barbers adagio. If we use a conductor's video, changes in tempo would work. I have been taught any instructions that are tempo adjustments really mean "watch the conductor". 

I also like Hall of the Mountain King, that could be fun.

I agree that we should all buy as much as we can from Fiddlerman this year, to allow him to take more time off taking care of us and our group projects 😊. 

nandinishankar
Members
June 27, 2020 - 4:43 pm
Forum Posts: 6
58sp_Permalink sp_Print

I came to make a suggestion (The Godfather - Love Theme), but the Barber Adagio piece sounds so beautiful. Can't wait for it already!

By the way, I think I need the group project badge and the video badge :) @Fiddlerman 

SharonC
Members

Regulars
June 28, 2020 - 1:16 pm
Forum Posts: 1526
59sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like the Barber’s as well as Thaxted—would happily participate in either (or both).

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 29, 2020 - 3:50 pm
60sp_Permalink sp_Print

This could be complicated for a lot of you.
Please look it over and see if the key signature is acceptable. I could try to simply it though I don't know how acceptable that would be. LOL

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse
Guest(s) 52
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7758
ABitRusty: 3914
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305