Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
15 Inch Cecilio Viola CVA 500
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
niceguye

Members
October 27, 2012 - 12:52 pm
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello, my 7 year old son is taking up viola with the DC Youth Orchestra, and is renting an instrument. I decided to get my own to practice with him. I'm new to the viola so I purchase an inexpensive model at the pawn shop so that we can learn together. I purchased a used Cecilio 15 inch viola (CVA500 ) for $125. I'm a guitar player, so I'm not familiar with the fine tuners on a viola. It looks like a less complicated version of a floyd rose. 

Are the tuners of a viola, suppose to be reset by turning the knobs loose and then using your pinky finger to get underneath the tailpiece and pushing forward? I'm trying to figure out if the the fine tuner is defective or not. After loosening, the tuner stays in place as if it was fully tightened. I have to use my finger to push it in place when in loose position.  (hard to explain, if it makes sense) sorry. It seems to work, but not sure if it is supposed to go back in place  or require some wd40 or something.      

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
October 27, 2012 - 1:38 pm
Forum Posts: 2647

Welcome to the forum, niceguye

As long as your fine tuner's are tight in the hole's, they should be ok the way they are. Fine tuner's are not spring loaded, at least that's what I think you are describing. Once the string tension is off and the tension adjustment screw on the fine tuner is backed all the way off, you'll need to tighten the string using the black tuning peg on the scroll. Once you have the string close to being in tune you then tweek it with the fine tuner.

Please don't squirt WD-40 on them. There could also be a problem that the fine tuner thread's are stripped, in which case you'll need new one's. You can also look underneath the tailpiece to make sure the tip of the fine tuner is centered on the little adjusting arm. If it slips off then the fine tuner won't work properly.

I hope i'm understanding your problem, I think I am though.

Congrat's on you and your son taking up viola, togetherness is always fun.

violin-1267violin-1267

niceguye

Members
October 27, 2012 - 3:17 pm
Forum Posts: 2

Thanks Fiddlestix. Yes, "spring loaded". That's exactly what I ment; just lost for words. Thanks for the info.

Barry
Members

Regulars
October 27, 2012 - 4:32 pm
Forum Posts: 2690

when I string one up, I start by loosening the fine tuners, then when you put on the new string get a little tension on it. Then I tighten the fine tuner to just where I can feel it starting to get resitance from the string, then bring up to pitch with main pegs and use the tuners as they stretch  to touch it up

hope I explained that clearly

There is no shame in playing twinkle, youre playing Mozart

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
October 27, 2012 - 5:10 pm
Forum Posts: 2647

I guess I phrased it wrong,,, facepalm

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Jim Dunleavy, Gordon Shumway
Guest(s) 80
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359