Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Alternative strings for YEV 105?
Is Zyex our only option?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Jamzzzzz

Members
May 18, 2022 - 9:16 am
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hey everybody! New member here, but long time reader of this forum =) 

My apologies if this has already been discussed in another topic before, but I was curious to know if anybody has ever tried restringing their Yamaha YEV104 or 105 with something other the recommended Zyex (as well as the Helicore C string for the YEV105)? I did at one point test out using Helicore for all 5 strings and very quickly switched back to the Zyex. Helicore was way too bright/tinny, even after giving the strings a chance to settle in a bit.

Would love to know your thoughts! Thanks!

Sidenote - Nothing necessarily wrong with the Zyex, I just like exploring options if I have them!

Mouse
May 18, 2022 - 9:27 am
Forum Posts: 5359
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Hi, @Jamzzzzz, I have the Yamaha SV-130. I bought it used from a prof musician and HS Teacher who had to give up due to a neck disc issue. He had just installed Kessler Core strings on it. I don't play it often because the shoulder rest is broken and I can't get it replaced, but, these strings are bright, so if someone suggests those, on my Yamaha, these are bright. I think steel core might have that characteristic? I love the violin, but the shoulder rest keeps coming detached. If I can get it replaced I will be trying other strings.

Welcome to the forum. I just sent you a Welcome Email with forum information and links. You should introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself section. You will surely get a warm welcome.

I am sure you will be getting some replies here about your string question. I am not trying to turn this into a Welcome to the Forum thread, so, if anyone has any suggestions or comments on Jamzzzzz's question, please help her out. 

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Gordon Shumway
London, England
Members

Regulars
May 18, 2022 - 11:04 am
Forum Posts: 2435

Isn't the point of an EV that you can use a graphic equaliser (or tone controls) to adjust its tonalities? I'd probably just use Tonicas on an EV for value for money. (my Hidersine has basic Hidersine strings on it - even cheaper than Tonicas, I think)

Andrew

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
May 18, 2022 - 11:25 am
Forum Posts: 7828

@Jamzzzzz -

Welcome to the forum! 

Your EV uses a piezoelectric pickup, so you are not limited to steel or steel-core strings on it.

Most people like the feel & sound of synthetic-core strings, but it still boils down to personal choice & the style or way you play.  You aren't trying to get the most out of an acoustic instrument, so I'm sure it doesn't make sense to consider the most expensive strings - but strings still make a difference on EV's. 

So, afraid I'm NO help at all, except to tell you there are many to choose from.

I have a Glasser 5-string Electric/Acoustic Violin. 

I like the single Zyex 'Short Scale Viola' C string or the D'Addario Ascenté 'Short Scale Viola' C string.  BUT, I prefer Larsen 'Virtuoso' on most of my other strings with a Pirastro 'Gold Label' E string. 

Btw, ALL Glasser Acoustic/Electric instruments come supplied with Larsen 'Original' strings.

Violin String Comparison Chart - Fiddlershop

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/18/21/9d/18219d74b9516c673a11effee5a9c8e1.png

- Emily 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: AndrewH, Mouse
Guest(s) 114
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359