FORUM

Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Please feel free to share. “The Little Drummer Boy Project”

A A A
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Traveling Fiddlerman Community Violin
Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 (84 votes) 
cid
February 16, 2020 - 8:18 am
Forum Posts: 1796
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1981sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Irv

I will get back to you later. I copied and pasted your post into my Pages document so I can answer the questions. Editing in the forum is rather difficult and I want to het it right.

But, you need to consider the weight, and Yes, the Traveler has a hard case, and I think any violin used would need one. Remember the larger and heavier your shipping container is, the more postage it will cost. I will get back to you.

They call me, “Mellow Cello” 

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
February 16, 2020 - 8:39 am
Forum Posts: 525
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
1982sp_Permalink sp_Print

Worth bearing in mind that the case has a lot of stickers and badges on it that record its journey round the world; would you really want to send it round without that?

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
February 16, 2020 - 9:20 am
Forum Posts: 1754
1983sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jim Dunleavy said
Worth bearing in mind that the case has a lot of stickers and badges on it that record its journey round the world; would you really want to send it round without that?

Not only that, but the host needs something to to carry the fiddle around in while taking it out to sites in their area for photos and videos.

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

cid
February 16, 2020 - 9:45 am
1984sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, Irv, that case has a history in and of itself. It has stickers. I was looking for a sticker from here, but have not found one. Maybe I can find an “I ❤️ NY” sticker. The case was donated by the first host, ftufe from Southern California.

But, @Jim Dunleavy I think that the case Irv is talking about is for the violin he is thinking of using for the overseas hosts. I don’t think he is thinking to have it used for The Traveler. The hard case with The Traveler is lovely! 

@Irv I sent you a PM answering your questions.

Irv
Members

Regulars
February 16, 2020 - 10:13 am
Forum Posts: 1388
1985sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jim, I unfortunately cannot provide you with a ”@“ notification since the space in your forum name seems to have confused the system here.

Your post shocked me to the core this morning, which I surmise was not your intent.  It frankly illuminated the extent that my views must be seen as inconsistent with the norm of this audience.  

My intended purpose of traveller ii was to convey tactile experience on a variety of innovations on instrument design (hole in heart viola, geared tuning pegs, and isny shoulder rest) as well as experimentation with a humidity controlled multi use shipping box.

I am an engineer, and evidently a very poor salesman.  I can try these things and report (and I have), but without group experience the “plants” are not rooting.  So I thought that an inexpensive traveller ii incorporating these things was worthy of self funding.  I am not aware of any violin cases with novel features worth adding to the venture, and I do not want to finance a status quo case to avail those who want a “Kilroy was here” moment (I do feel that adequate surfaces will always lend themselves for the adventureous in that regard).

Man has no special rights because he belongs to a particular race.  The soul emanates equal and eternal from bodies different in shape and color.  It is sufficient to say ‘Man’ to comprehend therein all rights.                                                    — Jose Marti 

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.         —Frank Zappa

cid
February 16, 2020 - 10:30 am
1986sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe Irv’s Traveler ii discussion should be in a thread of its own so The Traveler’s thread is not getting confused? Just a thought. His intent is a fiddle and case to be tested, hosted and it is a different fiddle. Again, just a thought. I am reluctant to add to his thoughts in this thread.

What do you think?

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
February 16, 2020 - 10:45 am
Forum Posts: 525
1987sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Irv, we were at cross purposes - I thought you were talking about the original Traveller. Please ignore my ramblings. 🙂

Irv
Members

Regulars
February 16, 2020 - 10:48 am
Forum Posts: 1388
1988sp_Permalink sp_Print

@cid and others.  I just wanted scoping information for the case, which I kindly just received from you.  I see no reason for continued discussion here.  I will create a new thread when I am ready to send out the next traveller.  Thank you all for the illumination.

Man has no special rights because he belongs to a particular race.  The soul emanates equal and eternal from bodies different in shape and color.  It is sufficient to say ‘Man’ to comprehend therein all rights.                                                    — Jose Marti 

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.         —Frank Zappa

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
February 16, 2020 - 11:33 am
Forum Posts: 1754
1989sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry. Same here...I thought we were talking about the original Traveler. Now, I do remember seeing mention of starting a second one, though I thought it was because the first is running out of room for signatures. Sorry I missed all the other details. It's hard to keep up sometimes.

lumpy-2134

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

cid
February 16, 2020 - 2:59 pm
1990sp_Permalink sp_Print

I purchased the little notebook. I will try to fill in from the beginning by going through the thread again. 

cid
February 16, 2020 - 3:33 pm
1991sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, @KindaScratchy If you look at the early threads there was mention of using a violin for across the ocean. It was discussed and decided that one of the purposes was to have everyone who touches this violin sign it, not have a second Traveler that is not this one. I am not sure if there are enough people interested to have a second one anyway. It took a while for a new host to volunteer after me. I still don’t have the info to ship it. That is fine, though. I am going to gravel center in the city nearby and see if there is a sticker for the case and a couple postcards. 

Even if there were two, I believe the idea was to swap them out periodically, but again, there does not seem to be anyone signing up. It still does not eliminate the shipping it across the ocean, because it will be periodically anyway. Right now, when it is in the USA, it is not sent overseas until everyone who is interested here in the USA this cycle has had a chance. Then it gets sent overseas. Then it does not come back here until everyone on that side who is interested has had a chance with that cycle.

I do think that food items should not be included in the trinkets. It must have been included during the cycle here this time because I think customs would have had an issue. I am removing it. The bottle seems to be a little leaky. It was crusty around the edges. LOL. Nice thought, but, I suggest we do not include food items, anything that goes in the mouth, whether solid or liquid;  candy, condiments, etc. Even if customs lets it go through, this could have messed the other trinkets and violin up. It could have attracted little critters into the case, too. I understand the thinking behind it. The practicality of it was not working. We live and learn.

Well. I hope this clears up some questions about the two violin thinking of yore. I am going to play my cello and then start at the beginning of the Traveler thread and see if I can track it to get as much in the log that is missing as possible up to my hosting. 

cid
February 16, 2020 - 5:56 pm
1992sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was going to add all the info for previous owners to the registry. That won’t happen. I have been doing page after page for the past 2-3 hours and I am only into 2015. This registry will start with me and then continue from there. I am going to write up the little history and add my info to the registry.

I will PM Mimi and ask her where to send it. I know she is next on the list. I asked for the mailing address so I could get her packed and take her to the package place before we get another run of bad roads and ice, but I have mot received it yet. So, I will ask Mimi for it.

I want to get her on her way to the next host. I hope that won’t be a problem if I ask her for her address myself. This is all volunteer and sometimes you have things that need being done, and that could be th issue. Completely understand. 

cid
February 17, 2020 - 12:20 pm
1993sp_Permalink sp_Print

cid
February 17, 2020 - 12:32 pm
1994sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wanted to add a photo of the front and back of the Traveler’s case.

6F46329E-D760-41ED-B803-FD178AEE80C8.jpegImage Enlarger28376593-F89C-4C77-A978-61468AE681F3.jpegImage Enlarger

I am looking for an I ❤️ NY sticker for,it. Can you believe it? They didn’t even have any at the NY tourist center in the nearby city. We went to look for one there this morning. 

We are going to take a short trip down the NYS Thruway to the first stop and see if there is one there. I cannot believe there were none at the NYS Tourist Center, it is a new center, in the nearby city. 😂

cid
February 17, 2020 - 6:27 pm
1995sp_Permalink sp_Print

paddy-smileypaddy-smileydancingdancingsaint_patricks_daysaint_patricks_day

I am doing my happy dance. A little trip down the thruway. I purchased the I ❤️ NY sticker I wanted for The Traveler’s case at the first rest stop area! 

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
February 18, 2020 - 4:58 am
Forum Posts: 3261
1996sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@cid - somehow, in spite of our earlier discussion regarding how we should disambiguate Scotland, England and the UK in general - England is missing ( 3 hosts there, and there *should* be 3 map pins although I haven't checked.... ) - 

Sorry - I should have spotted that earlier - been distracted with other things 🙂

engl.JPGImage Enlarger

Cheers,

*** EDIT *** just verified the map - yup all pinned - one in Scotland and 3 in England

UK.JPG

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
February 18, 2020 - 5:54 am
Forum Posts: 3261
1997sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another post @for you cid - 

I do think that food items should not be included in the trinkets. It must have been included during the cycle here this time because I think customs would have had an issue. I am removing it. The bottle seems to be a little leaky. It was crusty around the edges. LOL. Nice thought, but, I suggest we do not include food items, anything that goes in the mouth, whether solid or liquid;  candy, condiments, etc. Even if customs lets it go through, this could have messed the other trinkets and violin up. It could have attracted little critters into the case, too. I understand the thinking behind it. The practicality of it was not working. We live and learn.

ABSOLUTELY.

No food / drink / other liquids / perishable items should be included - let alone causing most-definite issues at customs - the risk of damage to the instrument, accessories and artifacts is surely too great.   

[ It was a nice thought though - if I had done that, I would have included a miniature Single Malt Scotch Whisky bottle - but that's only AFTER having consumed the contents  blurry_drunk-2127ROFL !   Haha - wasn't serious - I only wrote that to be able to include the"blurry-drunk" smiley which I've never used before ! ]

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

cid
February 18, 2020 - 8:30 am
1998sp_Permalink sp_Print

@BillyG Thanks for the catch. That is why Imposted it here. The map does not appear correctly for me on my Apple devices, none of them. Even when it is opened there is a message saying it won’t, with the option to continue. I show up off the coast of Africa. I can’t remember what the island is, but it is about halfway down the west coastline, 😂 Fiddlerman said it appears over Cayuga, NY for him. So, needless to say, I could not go by the violins on the map.

I am glad it does not upset, at least one member, that I am removing the sticky food item. Like I said, it is one item that is a pride of that area, so I completely understood why it was there. Even it wasn’t leaking, I was going to remove it. It is easier to see these sorts of issues from the outside looking in

BTW: The case is going to be emptied before I ship her. I am going to include an empty low profile plastic case for little trinkets like the little spoons and postcards. This way they won’t be loose. There is a plastic thingy we sewers have hanging in our sewing rooms with little plastic pockets to out little things in, in the collection for little things, but it is not practical now. I am sending it to Fiddlerman with the items. He may be able to put some of the small trinkets into it and hang in the showcase. As we sewers discover upon using, items taller than the front of the plastic pocket tend to lean forward and fall out. I had to go through the packing paper and make sure there were no little trinkets hiding.

The little plastic case will be better. When it is filled, it can be emptied, along with any postcards in the case, and Fiddlerman notified for shipping to his shop. I suggest if that is the case when overseas, a note be inserted for the next USA host to take care of. Does this sound good?

I am thinking that hard items should not be put inside the case with the violin. Maybe just post cards in there. The little trinkets could be placed inside the plastic container I am including. I have many in my sewing room that are empty from downsizing the type of sewing I am going to be doing. Of course, if the plastic container has some weight to it, like from those cute little spoons, it should be emptied before being completely filled to lessen the shipping costs. Pictures can be taken of everything in it by the person removing items for shipping, and then the pictures posted for all to see. I will be doing that, hopefully today or tomorrow.

I can’t ship it today, we got hit again last night. Yesterday was beautiful, but last night we got hit. Tomorrow we have serious all day personal business to take care of, that can’t be moved.  

I am keeping you updated because when I was reading through the early threads, there were spots where nothing was said or mentioned when she had to have an extended stay, which I do apologize for. Members were asking where she was. I just want to keep you all informed. It is still in Cayuga, NY. Next stop is Texas. I will try to get her ready to go to the shipper on Thursday if weather permits. At any rate, she will be ready to go at a moments notice by Thursday.

cid
February 18, 2020 - 8:57 am
1999sp_Permalink sp_Print

Updated short history of The Traveler. I added England to the places she has been, as per BillyG.

515DEC07-3729-429D-9090-FB1863844043.pngImage Enlarger

cid
February 18, 2020 - 9:19 am
2000sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lightweight Memento container.

7616059F-BDE0-4D7C-ABB0-4C619EA15665.jpegImage Enlarger

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Jim Dunleavy, Irv, Peter
Guest(s) 85
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Gordon Shumway
Upcoming JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, BaldBeardedViolinist, Stephen, Dorque, AnnyJ, Trisha, wonderputz, Russionleo
Top Posters:
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2679
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Kevin M.: 1971
damfino: 1945
cdennyb: 1815
TerryT: 1728
Ferret: 1575
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 27165
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 56
Topics: 8358
Newest Members:
Abelardo, CrookedBill, TracyR4, stevenpb967, Sahana R, alaskankid
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 14979, KindaScratchy: 1754, coolpinkone: 4176, BillyG: 3261, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, cid: 1796