FORUM

Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Please feel free to share. “The Little Drummer Boy Project”

A A A
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Traveling Fiddlerman Community Violin
Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 (84 votes) 
cid
February 19, 2020 - 9:48 am
Forum Posts: 1796
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2001sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have the Traveler set to take for packaging and shipping at the shipper place. I removed the mementos to make room for new mementos. They will be sent to Fiddlerman for displaying in a case. That removed about 5 pounds from shipping costs, too.

I am attaching photos of what was removed.

Here is a distance shot of it all and a couple closeups. Other closeups will be in another post.

I replaced the red ribbon that was taped to the flap of the little accessory holder and replaced it with another. There was no more room for any other pins and I did not want to remove the pins from the ribbon. Thought it would be best displayed as it was in the case in Fiddlerman’s display case, when it is available. I hope you all agree with that decision. Eventually, that ribbon would weaken having pins tacked to it and removed over and over. I removed only two and attached them to the new one to start it off. I couldn’t get all the mementos on the table in a way that they are visible, so some are under what you see.

6CDB3427-BD2F-414D-AEDD-72BB324ACEC4.jpegImage Enlarger121C0C83-700C-44FF-B93B-A603BF12503D.jpegImage Enlarger94403FF1-4CEE-42AE-A024-9402BFDB78E2.jpegImage Enlarger

They call me, “Mellow Cello” 

cid
February 19, 2020 - 9:51 am
2002sp_Permalink sp_Print

F50141F5-5D1B-47A6-9615-4B85641BA901.jpegImage EnlargerIt looks like that ribbon has room for more pins, but it winds around to the back side and end taped together.443EC5DC-DB73-4990-8F88-8116930587B4.jpegImage EnlargerD5D5FBFD-4F9F-4F92-ABE5-C3A596F31C98.jpegImage Enlarger

cid
February 19, 2020 - 9:52 am
cid
February 19, 2020 - 9:55 am
2004sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here is the Traveler ready for taking to the shipper. There is also the little memento plastic container that will go with her.

C5C9AD94-7A2A-452C-B7A1-B9C091A03B49.jpegImage Enlarger4E41B9C0-7CFB-4DE5-BB96-5065F2CC2E4B.jpegImage Enlarger2BB571DC-656F-4D45-B54A-9A2528A59EEC.jpegImage Enlarger6F985EA3-5A8A-4BC2-B235-AE9536D1C75D.jpegImage Enlarger

cid
February 19, 2020 - 10:05 am
2005sp_Permalink sp_Print

I added a spare set of strings, a new package of Fiddlerman strings, and a lightweight shoulder rest that I no longer use for another option for hosts.

I was able to put all three shoulder rests into that purple bag dangling on the side. There was only one in there and the other just loose. They did all fit.

Oh, I put the I ❤️ NY sticker on the back of the case. We traveled up the NY state thruway to a rest stop on Tuesday to get it. LOL Ended out a good trip. We continued on to Destiny and I found the cushioned sneakers I need, and a purse and little backpack for our trip. No, not camping or backpacking, it is just easier on my back using a backpack than carrying a purse. Woohoo!

@Mimi Aysha,  I will try to get her shipped tomorrow or Friday. My husband is not here today to take me to the shipper. I will PM you when she is shipped and give you the tracking number.

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
February 19, 2020 - 7:30 pm
Forum Posts: 1754
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2006sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for documenting all the memorabilia in the case, @cid . I was happy to see that the USA, Massachusetts and Rhode Island lapel pins that I put in the case are still there.

It's amazing to see all the items from all over the world. It's also amazing to know that they total five POUNDS!

This is such a cool story and I'm proud to have been a small part of it.

BTW, I do still have the log as of the time that I had the Traveler in 2013. I was only the seventh person to have her, so it represents only a small fraction of the hosts and probably of little value now.

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

cid
February 19, 2020 - 8:55 pm
2007sp_Permalink sp_Print

@KindaScratchy When I started logging or registering from the beginning, I think I got just maybe two hosts beyond you and I had to stop. It was driving me crazy waiting for pages to load so I could continue looking for the next host. I had to wait for partial pages to load because they go black as I scroll down. I decided I could not log it from day one and decided to just start with my own. I threw away the papers I wrote it all down on.

I decided I knew it was started by VinceKnight, Scotty donated the Cremona and ftufe was the first host and donated the hard case and that would be good enough in the history of The Traveler. I would just start the log with my entry.

Yep, it was about 5 pounds of mementos. I weighed myself and then held all the items and it was about 5 pounds more. It was time to empty the case and packing. Most of it was outside the case and in the packing material. I have everything in a bag that was in it and have it safely stored until Fiddlerman is ready for it. No hurry. It will be interesting to see what new items are inserted. I hope they take photos of the mementos periodically. I will not need as big of a box when I ship it to Mimi tomorrow or Friday.

I have a medium size Ziploc plastic bin for mementos. It is extremely light and will hold quite a bit of mementos. Should keep them from getting buried in the packing paper. The bird statue tail was broken. I actually found the little tailpiece in the paper packing when I double checked it today. I put it with the bird statue. I don’t have any glue that will glue ceramic. I have sewing machines and knitting machines. If I can’t sew it or knit it, I can’t fix it. LOL 

I enjoyed hosting her and sharing what little I was able to. I don’t travel and the places I wanted to bring her, were closed, for the most part. But, I did get some videos and still shots. It was a neat experience to be part of it. This has been going on for 7 years. Wow!

cid
February 20, 2020 - 10:22 am
2008sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Traveler is on her way to Texas. She should arrive at her new host’s house in a few days. Yippee!

cid
February 25, 2020 - 10:51 am
2009sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mimi should be receiving The Traveler today. Tracking shows she is put for delivery! Yippee.

Georganne
Members

Regulars
February 25, 2020 - 5:20 pm
Forum Posts: 940
2010sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry ya'll I've been sick.  Thanks for sending it on cid.  Currently I have @starise, @Mimi Aysha , and @BillyG on the list for next.  Anyone else interested? 

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

cid
February 25, 2020 - 5:39 pm
2011sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad tou are better, Georganne. Stay that way, 

Georganne
Members

Regulars
February 27, 2020 - 2:07 pm
Forum Posts: 940
2012sp_Permalink sp_Print

cid said
Glad tou are better, Georganne. Stay that way, 

Thanks.  Yea don't want to do that again. 

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

Mimi Aysha
Members

Regulars
February 28, 2020 - 10:52 am
Forum Posts: 341
2013sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's here....all safe and sound, I was out and hubby brought it in thinking I had made a purchase....got home to the dogs jumping around in pink packing peanuts, and an interrogation - the grandkids were super excited, told him it was just like a "Flat Stanley"....hubby laughed when he thought a bottle of crown was in there, commented that I might need some to play it on camera...

...well wrapped - thanks Cid...will get stuff up asap...

cid
February 28, 2020 - 11:35 am
2014sp_Permalink sp_Print

Have fun, Mimi!

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
February 28, 2020 - 1:05 pm
Forum Posts: 3261
2015sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@cid - now your time is over, thanks for being such a great host - enjoyed your playing and all the info, good stuff !

And @Mimi Aysha - have LOTS of fun with The Traveler !!!  Its a BLAST !!!!

Co-incidentally and oddly enough - I received a Facebook "memory of this day in 2017" - which is when I took The Traveler to my home town of Dornoch - here's a link to the FB post - just a few pics ( even if you are not a Facebook member, I *think* the link should be publically viewable...   Some of these pics never made it on to the forum here for one reason or another

***EDIT*** Oh, that's interesting... it TRIED to embed the data rather than giving the actual link...  and it's incomplete (not clickable, text cut-off etc etc) - no matter - you get the idea... Must check in to that to see why it's not "linking" to the page... hmmm...

Anyway - THIS is the one image I had *really* wanted to show up - "The Lonesome Traveler" LOL - tfbilly.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

cid
February 28, 2020 - 2:12 pm
2016sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you, @BillyG 

I absolutely love that photo! Thanks for posting it.

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
February 28, 2020 - 3:02 pm
Forum Posts: 3261
2017sp_Permalink sp_Print

YVW @cid - I actually have a tune I wrote and play occasionally called "Lonesome Traveller" - it is still a work in progress ( yup - even after 2 years - some tunes I can compose and commit to score within a day, but this one bugs the heck outta me - I'm probably trying far too hard to make it sound good on the B part - it varies between staying in the original key, or modulating to the relative minor - and I simply can not decide which I prefer....  I THINK the transition to minor *suggests* that I need to modify the A part in some way, perhaps as a lead-in or cadence if the tune was being played with backing chords.... Ohhh TMI never mind.. LOL Still, of course, I'll share it when I'm happy with it !)

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

cid
February 28, 2020 - 3:05 pm
2018sp_Permalink sp_Print

Can’t wait to hear it, @BillyG 

bocaholly
Boca Raton, Florida
Members

Regulars
February 29, 2020 - 4:14 pm
Forum Posts: 677
2019sp_Permalink sp_Print

Georganne... thanks for asking... I'm gonna pass for now but wanted to say how much I appreciate you and all of the hosts keeping this quirky thing going. Pretty amazing, if you think of it!

Cid, the idea of sending the mementos to the new Fiddlershop location to put on display is great. I was there a couple of weeks ago and Emily - Pierre's daughter - gave us a tour around their new digs. When the place is fully set-up and furnished, she promised to post a walk-through video (maybe on FB?) 

cid
February 29, 2020 - 4:33 pm
2020sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks @bocaholly It was mind of a joint idea with Fiddlerman (mostly Fiddlerman) because there was so much weight added fo shipping and it was requiring such a big box. The tail on a bluebird statue was already broken off. I would suggest, however that not only not including anything that is to be eaten, that no liquids, gels, etc be added as a memento. It was fun looking through it and seeing the items left by those I “see” here regularly.

I hope the walk through video is posted here. I don’t do Facebook. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Fiddlerman, cid, Peter
Guest(s) 72
Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Gordon Shumway
Upcoming JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, BaldBeardedViolinist, Stephen, Dorque, AnnyJ, Trisha, wonderputz, Russionleo
Top Posters:
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2679
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Kevin M.: 1971
damfino: 1945
cdennyb: 1815
TerryT: 1728
Ferret: 1575
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 27165
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 56
Topics: 8358
Newest Members:
Abelardo, CrookedBill, TracyR4, stevenpb967, Sahana R, alaskankid
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 14979, KindaScratchy: 1754, coolpinkone: 4176, BillyG: 3261, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, cid: 1796