Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

A A A
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Traveling Fiddlerman Community Violin
Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 (94 votes) 
ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
March 29, 2020 - 4:46 pm
Forum Posts: 2526
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2041sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bob Wills got nothing on that young man! 

Georganne
Members

Regulars
March 30, 2020 - 11:40 am
Forum Posts: 993
2042sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Mimi Aysha I think you should keep it until this Covid thing is resolved.  

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

Mouse
March 30, 2020 - 12:10 pm
Forum Posts: 4054
2043sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was hoping for that, Georganne, 100% agree.

The Bumblebee Flies!

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
March 30, 2020 - 12:50 pm
Forum Posts: 3741
2044sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hmmm...  ( in jest really ) - were The Traveler to have been a Theremin instead of a fiddle, it would be fine i.e. an instrument whilst being played, was never actually  touched..... e.g. - https://fiddlerman.com/forum/b.....g/#p106944

Errrr.... OK sorry about that folks !! :)

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Mimi Aysha
Members

Regulars
March 30, 2020 - 3:57 pm
Forum Posts: 382
2045sp_Permalink sp_Print

OMG Billy - I can't believe you did that so quickly, so very cool...I can see how that would be a great instrument.

Greg - I am thinking the same! I don't have the nerve to ask him to show me how to play anything like that....I'm hoping he has a few dumbed down versions for me.

G and C - will hold on til we get the OK to run around again...hopefully wont be long.

Mouse
April 26, 2021 - 9:57 pm
2046sp_Permalink sp_Print

Is there any update on the Traveler? I am thinking it is still taking a COVID break, right?  Just wondering. Still risky getting out and about.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Georganne
Members

Regulars
April 27, 2021 - 1:29 pm
Forum Posts: 993
2047sp_Permalink sp_Print

@BillyG @BillyG

I believe you are next on the list my friend.  PM your address or just send it directly to Mimi and CC me please. 

Let's get this show on the road!

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

BillyG
May 22, 2021 - 11:28 am
2048sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh, just got back again last night (busy time here) - 

Just to advise everyone (or anyone) interested in hosting The Traveler - yes - I did respond to @Georganne post (above) back on about the 3rd or so of this month (May, 2021) but heard nothing back as yet.

Since I was mentioned, and just in case everyone/anyone who wants to host The Traveller thinks it is waiting on "my turn" - that's not the case. I'm tied up in work (and other life related things) that prevent me from re-hosting the instrument (much as I would love to!)

Basically, I have told the "committee" in charge of The Traveller to remove me from the list for now, and once everything I'm dealing with settles down, I'll add my name again - which could well be still a year or more from now - so there's time there for 3 or possibly even 4 additional hosts.

It's only fair to let the many others that may be interested to get their chance to host The Traveller.  

Such a shame it has gone so quiet for so long.  Covid is not an excuse - fiddles are being played, tested and shipped all over the world.  Let's get her (The Traveller) back on the road as soon as...  Yayyyyyy !!!

Later's,  BillyG

Mouse
May 22, 2021 - 1:49 pm
2049sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Georganne Just curious, who is next on the list?

The Bumblebee Flies!

BillyG
May 22, 2021 - 2:32 pm
2050sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Mouse - dunno - it (the list) is never published these days (for whatever reason). In the past, Deborah @fiddlechick was really on top of it all and did a truly wonderful job of getting in touch with "the next on the list", and "pushing" folks when their four or so weeks hosting was up, but she had to recuse herself due to her own pressures.... 

Currently, there is now (as is my current understanding)  a "Travelling Fiddle Committee" (or at least there used to be) - so they should really try to promote the concept of "The Traveller" on the forum.   I used to actively do that in the past on the forum thread, and my posts did actually manage to get a few more hosts.

A published list of future hosts should really be promoted on this thread.  ( The list shouldn't be a "secret" - although - in my recollection - yes - and I cannot explain it - we once had a "host" - un-named and non-participating in the submission of any video or report of The Traveller - which, in my opinion, defeats the entire purpose of the project.....  Anyway...) 

@Mouse - yeah - ask the committee folks... !  I leave it at that for now, and hopefully I'm going to be able to video a couple of tunes this weekend!   

Hope all goes well with you there Mouse, been a while since we caught up my friend!

Mouse
May 22, 2021 - 4:09 pm
2051sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you are interested in hosting the wonderful Traveling Community Fiddle, please post a reply to this thread with your general location (state, country, province, etc) so the route can be planned by the person in charge of keeping it moving.

This is a wonderful fiddle. It has been all over the world and really loves to travel and post its adventures on the forum. Anyone who hosts this will really feel its history when holding and playing her. Any members interested, just submit your name and general location so the list can be added to.

Here is a copy of the history that I created by going through the early posts when I hosted her. There is a copy that is kept with her. It is with the Traveler.

E4B9755A-1188-4F6C-BE5B-E57C22FC4372.jpegImage Enlarger

The Bumblebee Flies!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
May 22, 2021 - 8:10 pm
Forum Posts: 4713
2052sp_Permalink sp_Print

VinceKnight said
PLEASE READ ENTIRE POST as it contains ALL of the CURRENT info on the Traveling Fiddle Program.

@Ken and AdverseD The idea is in fact to ship from one member to the next closest member to save on shipping AND time which is why I need people's information (City and State for now).  We currently have 1 Cremona CV-100 about to start it's journey on Mon. or Tues. this week. Thank you again to Scotty.

A suggestion was made to me on the shout box that we should have 1 instrument overseas and 1 instrument in the Americas and every year they should be switched so that the one that started in the Americas would then go overseas and Vice Verse so that everyone would get their hands on Both of them. Which would also save on international Shipping.  Kinda like a Foreign exchange Program :)

I will leave it up to the Members here to decide if we use that Format given that we have an Offer for a second violin.

Don't Worry John we will still ship it to Australia so you can have a go at it.

The program will currently run as follows:

1. 15-30 days in any given location (45 for extenuating Circumstances)

2. At least 1 audio if not video recording should be done by each member, when they have the violin in their possession, and posted to this thread of the forums. (If you cannot complete this portion just let me know it won't be THAT big of a deal)

3. Everyone who receives the instrument MUST leave something in or on the case that lets the Violin say, "I was Here." I.e. Post card, sticker, regional postage stamp, etc.

4.If you are attending an Annual FM Jam/BBQ and you have possession of the violin you MUST bring it with you.

5. Shipping Costs will be paid by either the member receiving the instrument or the member sending the instrument.  If you run into an emergency that will not allow you to pay for the shipping you can either work out a deal with one of the other members, or, if you are not yet in possession of the instrument, take a pass and have it delivered the next time it comes around your area.

6. You may while in possession of the violin make adjustments, upgrades, and/or changes to the violin so long as it REMAINS playable after said changes occur.

If there are other Suggestions for this program please post them in this forum.

Thank you for your time, patience, and Participation.

-Dennis done

Only read as far as Post No.23 - is this current? 

Who all has had it so far?

Mouse
May 22, 2021 - 9:29 pm
2053sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pretty much. This started about 8 1/2 years ago, so it may have swerved off a bit, but I don't think it has. I think it is pretty much as above.

If you host the fiddler, there is a log book that I created, and included a pen with. I wrote down all the information for those who had it before me, and my information before I sent her in its way to Mimi in Texas. I also included instructions suggesting all future hosts enter their information. If you want to see who has hosted it since its inception, you will have to go through the posts like I did, or sign up to be a host and read the log book. It has to be handwritten into the log book, so I don't have it on my computer. 

I believe some were:

flufe

Cool Pink One

Fiddlestix

BillyG

Fiddlerman (at least his signature is in it)

Me

There are some names at the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember. They don't log in now. But, read the topic thread and you will be able to get the list. There are. lot of names.

Sorry couldn't be of much more help.

The Bumblebee Flies!

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
May 22, 2021 - 10:09 pm
Forum Posts: 1759
2054sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Tyberius said
Oh, i can see the future. The center for disease control will track the next pandemic outbreak to a "carrier" object that probably passed through the maiil or post and seems to have infected musicains first worldwide.

I hosted the Traveler in September of 2013. I haven't been active on the forum for a while because life gets in the way, plus I've been focusing on other musical endeavors.  But I still get notifications on this thread, so I was happy to see the conversation revived.

Looking back through the early posts, I was amazed to see the post quoted above, which was in jest at the time, but now hits close to home.

Hope everyone is doing well. Maybe I'll get back to fiddling again soon. And hope the Traveler is soon back on her journey.

-- Diane, a.k.a KindaScratchy 

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Mouse
May 22, 2021 - 10:39 pm
2055sp_Permalink sp_Print

@KindaScratchy It was great seeing your post here!

The Bumblebee Flies!

Mouse
May 22, 2021 - 10:47 pm
2056sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ELCBK 

On Page 99, in Posts 1964-1970 I posted photos of the Traveler showing all the signatures when I hosted it. You can zoom in and read them. 😁 That should work for letting you know who has hosted her.

The Bumblebee Flies!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
May 23, 2021 - 2:11 am
2057sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Mouse -

Thanx! 

Those are precious photos! 😊

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
May 23, 2021 - 3:52 pm
Forum Posts: 16040
2058sp_Permalink sp_Print

Where is the traveling fiddle now. I lost track. :(

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mouse
May 23, 2021 - 5:01 pm
2059sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman 

It is with Mimi Aysha in Texas.

The Bumblebee Flies!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
May 26, 2021 - 8:30 pm
2060sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, no one is one the list right now? 

Been thinking about it (like the "connection with other members" concept), but not sure I want to play a 4 string... and, OMG - what if it sounded better than my Mortimer? 

I'd never recover! 

- Emily Eye Alien Walking Caterpillar Monster Emoticons

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 32
Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Space., loveluach
Upcoming anonkid, KindaScratchy, freesbee, paulinefiddle, Allenph, oneloudmime, MsJoy, ARCoyne, Gringo, Sandybourne, Ripton, husseinHr, Guido, A. V. Suvorov, Scrap, DennisS, JiminTexas, mcwey
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 4713
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2680
Fiddlestix: 2647
ABitRusty: 2526
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Gordon Shumway: 2033
damfino: 2027
Kevin M.: 1973
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31076
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 79
Topics: 9810
Newest Members:
WFSCcontest
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16040, KindaScratchy: 1759, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3741, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 4054