Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
2023 Events to Plan For Here in The USA
Make plans for fiddling fun throughout the New Year!
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (8 votes) 
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 26, 2022 - 10:02 pm
Forum Posts: 7828
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Previous Fiddle Hell participants probably received this great list of Events to plan for during 2023 from Dave Reiner!  

MUSIC CAMPS and JAMS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for 2023

Ashokan Music & Dance Camps New Years Weekend & May - December - see website for camp details
Creative Strings Workshop Jan 9 - Feb 25 Online; Asheville, NC, June 25 - July 30; Nov 16-19, Lausanne, Switzerland
Camp Calvin (Virtual) Calvin Vollrath, Jan 16-19
Janie's Jumpstart Camps Cleveland, OH, Feb 17-19; Pittsfield, MA, April 14-16; Chesapeake City, MD 4/28-4/30; Hopewell Jnctn, NY; May 5-7 
Fiddle Hell ONLINE April 13-16 with 160 workshops, 30 concerts, 30 jams, 4 months free replays of all sessions
Mandolin Camp North Charlton, MA, April 21-23 
New England Folk Festival Association Marlborough, MA, April 21-23
Banjo Camp North, Charlton, MA, May 19-21
Maine Fiddle Camp West Gardiner, ME, June 16-23, August 6-18
Northeast Heritage Music Camp Starksboro, VT, June 18-24
Acadia Trad Festival & School Bar Harbor, ME, June 26-July 2
Mike Block String Camp Vero Beach, FL, July 10-15
Rustic Roots Retreat San Luis Valley, CO, July 12-18 Music! - Food! - Mountains!
Fiddleheads Jam Camp Contoocook, NH, Dates TBD
Boston States Fiddle Camp Groton, MA, Dates TBD
Fiddle Hell IN PERSON Westford, MA, Nov 2-5  Watch FH website & Facebook group for details 
Baltimore Old-Time & Bluegrass Jams Baltimore, MD, Tuesday nights - see website for specifics
Valley of the Moon Scottish Fiddling School Alasdair Fraser, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA, Dates TBD 

If anyone knows of Violin/Fiddle-related events in your own home State, please tell us - I haven't checked out Michigan, yet!

...If you live in the UK, make plans for the HUGE Festival in Glasgow - Celtic Connections 2023, January 19th thru February 5th!

JohnG
Greater Chicagoland
Members

Regulars
December 26, 2022 - 10:26 pm
Forum Posts: 1591

Nice. Of course, other than online, the closest one is Janie's Jumpstart Camp, 345+ miles from me in Cleveland OH.

The old curmudgeon!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 27, 2022 - 12:00 am

@JohnG - 

For Classical Violinists, there's the Chicago International Music Festival - March 25th thru 29th, at the Chicago Symphony Center! 

Swedish Days in Geneva, Illinois - June 21st thru 25th, has a HUGE music competition! 

Can you try to find some more?

I found a bunch of Michigan Music Events and Music Festivals - some for Jamming & Learning, some for Listening & some are Competitions!  ...nice to see the North American International Banjo Festival is still held in Dearborn! (lol)

Well, I did find a bunch of 2023 Old Time Jams for Fiddlers living near Eugene, Oregon at The Fiddle Hangout - they have a Fiddle Hangout Calendar for anyone in the USA that wants to add their event. 

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
December 27, 2022 - 12:31 am
Forum Posts: 1696

ELCBK said

For Classical Violinists, there's the Chicago International Music Festival - March 25th thru 29th, at the Chicago Symphony Center! 

This is already full for 2023, and doesn't appear to be open to individual musicians anyway -- it's for large ensembles (bands, choirs, and orchestras), not individuals.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 27, 2022 - 12:52 am

...bummer. 😒

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
December 27, 2022 - 12:53 am

For classical string players, it appears Scor! is bringing back its first in-person camp since 2019, specific dates TBA in July or August 2023, near Rochester, NY.

https://www.scorstrings.com/pa.....s-reunions

This is an instructional camp and good for all levels, including beginners.

There are also chamber music workshops in various places in the US for intermediate to advanced string players. I'm most familiar with the ones in California, but I also know of a few in other states because I've considered traveling for a workshop before. I went to CalCap three summers in a row from 2017 to 2019, and I know people through my orchestras who have been to the other California workshops.

CalCap Chamber Music Workshop (summer, dates TBA, Sacramento, CA)

Crowden Adult Chamber Music Workshop (August 3-7, Berkeley, CA)

Humboldt Chamber Music Workshop (summer, dates TBA, Arcata, CA)

SoCal Chamber Music Workshop (July 23-29, Claremont, CA)

Workshops I know of in other states:

Interlochen Chamber Music Camp (Aug. 14-20, Interlochen, MI)

Austin Chamber Music Workshop (July, dates TBA, Austin, TX)

Apple Hill Summer Chamber Music Workshop (various sessions in June-August, Nelson, NH)

Ford Glass

Members
December 28, 2022 - 1:48 pm
Forum Posts: 18

In addition to the valley of the moon Scottish fiddling school listed by Emily above, below are a couple more Scottish fiddling retreats:

Jink and Diddle school of Scottish fiddling in NC (January and July/August), http://www.fiddletree-music.com

Scottish fiddle program at winter school in WA (February), https://celticarts.org/wsscottishfiddle/

Hanneke Cassel’s Pure Dead Brilliant fiddle weekend in MA (February), https://pdbfiddleweekend.com/pdb

SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 29, 2022 - 6:29 pm
Forum Posts: 1528

AndrewH said
For classical string players, it appears Scor! is bringing back its first in-person camp since 2019, specific dates TBA in July or August 2023, near Rochester, NY.

I’ve attended Scor! 4 times, and I'm currently a member/subscriber of their online site. 

I actually attended the very last Scor! live event they had before the Covid shutdowns in Atlanta in Feb 2020.  Outstanding musicians, excellent adult-student educators—they’re graduates of Eastman School of Music, leading Scor! for 20+ years before Covid hit. 

Scor! is for different skill levels, but not very new beginners.  At the beginner level (Basic Track), you should be playing at least 9 months - 1 year (at the level of having taking regular lessons—that may mean you’re playing longer if you are learning on your own), but no previous ensemble experience is required (you will spend most of the time there doing that).  The higher tracks require at least a year of ensemble playing.

Previous guidance for the Basic track was that you need to be able to read & play in the keys of D & G, using 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 notes, and are not very uncomfortable sight-reading (i.e., playing sheet music that you are seeing for the first time).

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
December 29, 2022 - 7:19 pm

SharonC said

AndrewH said

I’ve attended Scor! 4 times, and I'm currently a member/subscriber of their online site. 

I actually attended the very last Scor! live event they had before the Covid shutdowns in Atlanta in Feb 2020.  Outstanding musicians, excellent adult-student educators—they’re graduates of Eastman School of Music, leading Scor! for 20+ years before Covid hit. 

Scor! is for different skill levels, but not very new beginners.  At the beginner level (Basic Track), you should be playing at least 9 months - 1 year (at the level of having taking regular lessons—that may mean you’re playing longer if you are learning on your own), but no previous ensemble experience is required (you will spend most of the time there doing that).  The higher tracks require at least a year of ensemble playing.

Previous guidance for the Basic track was that you need to be able to read & play in the keys of D & G, using 1/8, 1/4 and 1/2 notes, and are not very uncomfortable sight-reading (i.e., playing sheet music that you are seeing for the first time).

Ah, thanks for the info. I've never been to one of their camps, and the only person I know personally who's been to a Scor! camp was on one of the more advanced tracks.

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
December 29, 2022 - 7:22 pm

By the way, if looking into summer chamber music workshops, it would be a good idea to check schedules again a month or two from now. The ACMP (Associated Chamber Music Players) events list is rather sparse at the moment, but normally fills up as many summer chamber music workshops announce their dates for the upcoming summer in January and February.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
January 17, 2023 - 6:25 pm
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

FIDDLE HELL ONLINE 

2023 April 13th-16th 

🔥 🔥 🔥 

Registration NOW OPEN! 

https://fiddlehell.org/

160 Workshops, 30 Concerts, 30 Jams 
Fiddle, Cello, Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, Singing & More! 
4 Months Additional Replay Access 

Early Registration Discount & Additional Discounts For Seniors, Young Adults, Kids, and American String Teachers Assoc members 

Whova is browser-based,
FIDDLE HELL events can be watched/participated in
from Laptop or by Phone!
Whova viewing quality greatly improved last April -

Excellent Experience! 

- Emily

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
January 17, 2023 - 6:50 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Peghead Nation has a new

WESTERN SWING COURSE 

with Chad Manning! 

You can see an introduction video & details here: 

Western Swing Fiddle Subscription Info - Peghead Nation

You can't beat the low monthly rate - CHECK IT OUT!  

...I like Western Swing MUCH BETTER than Old-time & even Bluegrass! 

https://cdn4.vectorstock.com/i/thumb-large/31/88/emily-female-name-decorative-lettering-type-design-vector-4003188.jpg

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
March 20, 2023 - 2:26 am

I was just reminded of this after checking for the first time in a long while and noticing that time was running out to apply for CalCap.

CalCap has two sessions this year: July 16-21 and July 23-28. The application deadline is March 24.

Humboldt has two sessions this year: July 2-7 and July 9-14. The application deadline is April 15.

I also just learned this weekend about another camp for classical musicians: Midsummer Musical Retreat in Spokane, WA, which is from July 31 to Aug. 6 this year, which involves both orchestra and chamber music. There are also elective classes that seem to change from year to year; options include Baroque music and jazz improv this year, and have included fiddle in past years. It's a little late to apply (they try to accept everyone who applies by March 1), but applications are still being accepted for open spots in the program this year, and it's also a good idea to keep it on your radar for future years.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 6, 2023 - 3:29 pm

The Swannanoa Gathering in

Asheville, North Carolina! 

Week-long Workshops - on campus of Warren Wilson College. 

Limited Enrollment of 15 students per class! 

Mando & Banjo Week - June 25th thru July 1st 

Fiddle Week - June 25th thru July 1st 

You can choose to mix the curriculum of the Mando, Banjo & Fiddle weeks.

Traditional Song Week - July 2nd thru 8th 

Celtic Week - July 9th thru 15th 

Old Time Week - July 16th thru 22nd 

Contemporary Folk Week - July 23rd thru 29th 

Guitar Week - July 23rd thru 29th

@ABitRusty -

This is SO COOL! 

ABitRusty said
Has anyone .. attended this?   or plan on it?  Look at the list of instructors!   Im not sure i have the musical stamina to last a week.   Maybe stay off site and attend a couple of specific classes.  Problem with these type events is 1..getting time off..2.. cost...3.. id have a difficult time doing this AND a family vacay.   I guess i should check...she may consider me going a vacay..😉🤣 

https://swangathering.com/cata...../cl/staff/

During Traditional SongCeltic and Old-Time Music & Dance Weeks we offer a full-day program for children ages 6-12, whose parents are participating in the Swannanoa Gathering taught by Children’s Program Coordinator Melissa Hyman. Remember, space is limited

FEES for students staying on campus & adults/children staying off campus.

Payment must be received by May 31st!

Participant MUST SHOW PROOF of being up to date with latest covid Vaccine boosters! 

PLEASE, look over other posts in this thread for Fiddle Camps & Festivals throughout 2023 near you!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 66
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359