Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddle Hell 2014
A weekend fiddlers' convention, Nov. 7-9, 2014 in Westford, Massachusetts.
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
October 26, 2014 - 8:01 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Fiddle Hell 2014, basically a fiddlers' convention, is less than two weeks away! This year's Fiddle Hell will be held Fri-Sun, Nov. 7-9 at the Westford Regency in Westford, Massachusetts.

Mr. Scratchy and I are planning to attend. We attended last year and had a great time...and learned a lot! This year's line up of workshops, jams and instructors looks even better than last year, if that's possible.

Plus, they've moved the event to a larger venue because attendance has been growing each year and they finally out-grew the venue where it had been held the past several years.

I highly recommend this event...the program includes sessions for fiddlers of all skill levels and it's a great opportunity to meet other fiddlers.

If you're within driving distance or can travel, consider attending Fiddle Hell. If you can't make it this year, put it on your calendar for next year: Nov. 6-8, 2015.

For more info: http://www.reinerfamilyband.co.....ction.html

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Georganne
Members

Regulars
October 26, 2014 - 9:17 pm
Forum Posts: 993

Now that's my kind of conference!  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Take pictures! 

Opportunity is often missed because it wears suspenders and looks like hard work.

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North Country

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
October 26, 2014 - 11:02 pm
Forum Posts: 1817

Wish they had that kind of thing out here on the left coast, ideally in the northern part of the state...

You guys have all the fun...

dunno

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Tyberius
Members

Regulars
October 27, 2014 - 12:32 am
Forum Posts: 555

cdennyb I know exactly what you mean. I'm way up here in Oregon. we get nothing like that up here. I hope you all have fun at this. some workshops would be pretty nice to attend.

"I find your lack of Fiddle, disturbing" - Darth Vader

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
October 27, 2014 - 2:04 pm
Forum Posts: 4180

Sounds like a blast Diane.  I am so excited for you again this year.  

We do have some functions out here.  I have to get busy and look.  There was something out this way in Red Bluff, CA last week.  Vy Wickham (sp) was there.  I didn't find out in enough time to plan for it.

And I know Fred has been to some fiddly functions, maybe Lake Tahoe?  Not sure. 

Can't wait to hear the details and see how much more awesome you become. 

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
October 27, 2014 - 8:43 pm

I was blown away a couple of years ago when I learned -- right here on Fiddlerman.com -- that this event existed and it was held just up the interstate from where I live. It was a post by Mr. Jim @Worldfiddler that referenced Fiddle Hell, just after the 2013 event. I put Fiddle Hell 2013 on my calendar immediately. :)

One wouldn't expect such a large gathering of fiddlers around here...New England has a distinctive fiddle style but fiddle music isn't as mainstream as it is elsewhere, like in the South. At best, you're most likely to hear fiddle music in the many Irish pubs in the Boston area.

I will try to remember to take some pictures and will give a full report afterward.

StoneDog
Members

Regulars
October 27, 2014 - 8:55 pm
Forum Posts: 888

That is SOoooo SWEET you can go. I am sadviolin-studentI wish I could go to one of these GiGs > I would be in La La land!! > Please keep us posted and pics and vids if you can.

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
November 12, 2014 - 8:21 pm

Thought I'd give a little report on Fiddle Hell 2014 and share a photo and video from the weekend.

First of all, this is an excellent event and learning opportunity for fiddlers of all levels. It runs two and half days and the program is packed with workshops and jams for all skill levels and fiddle styles.

This year, Fiddle Hell moved to a new, more spacious venue. It was much more comfortable for playing and learning in the workshops, and was better for meeting and conversing with other fiddlers.

I attended sessions at the "Beginner-Advancing Beginner" and "Advancing Beginner-Intermediate" level (I'd put myself in the Advancing Beginner category) on genres including Irish, Bluegrass, Quebecois and Old Time.

Although some instructors offer sheet music for the tunes they teach, most of the learning is by ear. When sheet music is offered, it's usually distributed after the session.

I found that I did well picking up a tune by ear in some sessions, and not so well in others. Don't know why exactly...could be teaching style, musical style, or fatigue on my part (I seemed to do the best early in the day, not surprisingly).

The instructors are excellent, well known fiddlers. Their CDs and instructional books are available for purchase in the registration area.

The jams were fun, too. I participated in several slow jams and enjoyed just listening in on some higher level jams, which popped up in hallways and the pub.

I highly recommend this event. Mark your calendar...Fiddle Hell 2015 will be November 6-8. Start saving for the travel and/or ask for the time off from work. It will be well worth it.

To give you a little taste of what Fiddle Hell is like, here's a photo from one of the sessions and video clips of a hallway jam and a jam in the pub.

20141107_170238_500px.jpgImage Enlarger

And, for more information on Fiddle Hell, here's a link to the website: http://www.reinerfamilyband.co.....ction.html

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
November 13, 2014 - 12:59 pm
Forum Posts: 4180

Awesome Diane...thanks for the update.  Very cool about the ear playing.  I would be SOL on that.  Sounds like a great function.  Congrats on Surviving Fiddle Hell.   :)

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

cdennyb
King for a Day, Peasant for many
Members

Regulars
November 13, 2014 - 1:56 pm
Forum Posts: 1817
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

WOW, loved the videos! That would so much fun to go to. I just see so many potential violinists/fiddlers getting a few drinks in them, opening up and really kickin' it in high gear!

Awesome, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for posting.

"If you practice with your hands you must practice all day. Practice with your mind and you can accomplish the same amount in minutes." Nathan Milstein

Worldfiddler
Members

Regulars
November 13, 2014 - 4:36 pm
Forum Posts: 488
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the report, Diane!

I missed it this year, but am planning on being there next year, for sure!

I was an instructor there from 2007 - 2010, and as Diane says, it's a great event. I thoroughly enjoyed teaching and jamming there, every year!

I second the recommendation and would love to see some of you guys and gals next year!

Mr Jim dancing

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
November 13, 2014 - 5:00 pm
Forum Posts: 973
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Diane, 

It looks like it was huge fun.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

VickieD
Members

Regulars
November 13, 2014 - 5:34 pm
Forum Posts: 130
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for sharing @kindascratchy - this looks like so much fun! I would LOVE to attend something like this.semiquaver-1214

"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?
~~Albert Einstein

Schaick
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2014 - 12:51 pm
Forum Posts: 878
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool!!  Thank you for sharing.  

We have the 49th Annual Bill Monroe Bean Blossom Bluegrass Music Festival coming in June 13-20, 2015.

I really need to attend!!

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
January 24, 2015 - 11:06 pm
Forum Posts: 595
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

a bit late, but thanks for the shares. This is the same venue only a few weeks before I went to a professional conference. It's less than an hour from home. I really need a new job, as it seems every year, Fiddle Hell is on a week end I work frown

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
January 25, 2015 - 8:04 pm
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ripton said
a bit late, but thanks for the shares. This is the same venue only a few weeks before I went to a professional conference. It's less than an hour from home. I really need a new job, as it seems every year, Fiddle Hell is on a week end I work frown

It's less than an hour from home for me, too, @Ripton . We must live not too far from each other...of course you could be less than an hour in another direction. :) Hope you can make it next year...Fiddle Hell is great. Fiddle Hell 2015 will be Nov. 6-8. Put in your request to get the weekend off now!

MrYikes
Members

Regulars
January 26, 2015 - 12:56 am
Forum Posts: 633
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Schaick, maybe we could meet up there this year.  I live outside of Gnaw Bone.

Schaick
Members

Regulars
January 26, 2015 - 9:26 am
Forum Posts: 878
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

@ MrYikes That would be fun.  

Hold the phone!!  I just checked when our neighborhood folk festival is:

The 4th Annual Irvington Folk Festival                                
A Celebration of Music, Art & Community                                  
June 14 - 20, 2015

Schedule of events:

http://www.irvingtonfolk.com/C.....edule.html

I for sure am doing the SATURDAY JUNE 21st - Ellenberger Park, 5301 E. St. Clair St. FREE and open to all ages!

hehe!!  There is a picture of me playing the fiddle.  OH my goodness!!  That was back before I started going to Jam - I think can't remember for sure!

I will need to sort this out.  How does one decide which days?  I know so little about the different bands: 

http://www.billmonroemusicpark.....-Final.pdf

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: stringy
Guest(s) 115
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305