Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Violin - Johannes Kohr K519 - full size
New Violin - Johannes Kohr K519 - full size. For sale to the highest bidder.
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 3, 2013 - 3:20 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

New Violin - Johannes Kohr K519 - full size. For sale to the highest bidder on Ebay. :-)

Follow the link below where you will also find a video and be able to hear it's sound as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Violin.....1299190266

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 3, 2013 - 4:01 pm
Forum Posts: 256
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Very interesting! Fiddlershop on eBay! Is this going to be something we can expect to see in addition to ordering directly from Fiddlershop? And FM with no cap on--is this a first for his violin reviews?   LOL.

Only problem I had was no sound on the video on that eBay ad--is it just me? I tried a normal YouTube video immediately after and normal sound on that. This K519 must not be a YouTube video either as I couldn't find it, to check YouTube directly, for sound.

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 3, 2013 - 4:26 pm

OK, I'm getting sound now on the video, and I see it is a YouTube video. Maybe I was just too quick before, and it had to filter through YouTube's stuff first.

From the Howard Core webpage, this appears to be in the $400 resale range (comparing to what K5xx models are at Fiddlershop).

I'll be watching this ad to see how it does in 6 days.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 4, 2013 - 12:34 am

Steve, I'm very curious where you get the $400 range from.

Thanks

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 4, 2013 - 1:23 am

My reasoning is purely seat of the pants with not much concrete info to back it up by. I look at the Howard Core webpage and note their August Kohr violins range from the K500 to the K575 then to the HC602 and higher series. I reason that the lowest number models sell for the least amount, with prices increasing as one gets to higher number models. Fiddlershop sells the K500 for $369--that's the price the customer pays, and Fiddlershop obviously makes a profit on everything sold, that's the point of having a business, LOL. So I reason you need to sell the K519, a higher model up the number series from the K500, on eBay for at least $400 in order to break even as a minimum and hopefully for quite a bit more, to make a decent profit. How'd I do for reasoning?  laugh

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
July 4, 2013 - 6:19 am
Forum Posts: 2647

@Steve:.. Perhap's you're not familiar with the bidding process on "Ebay". Read his ad carefully and you will not see, "Reserve" or "No Reserve" anywhere on the page.

"Reserve" mean's the seller (in this case, Pierre) set's a set price for an item that is not seen by the bidder's. The word's, "Reserve not met", appear near the bid box, when the bid's reach the reserve price those word's are removed. If the price for the item does not meet the seller's price then he doesn't have to sell that item below his set (reserve) price. However, the seller will usually set a "start bid" which is lower than his reserve bid in order to keep the bid's climbing higher and keep people bidding.

"No Reserve" mean's the seller has no set price and if at the end of the bidding time the highest bid is $50.00 then that's what the seller must sell the item for, it goes to the highest bidder regardless of it's worth.

Pierre does stand the chance of losing money on the item, not likely, but entirely possible.

I think I got it pretty accurate.

Ken.

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 4, 2013 - 12:39 pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your comments. I am well aware of eBay bidding, in fact I am very active on eBay, primarily for violins. You might say I'm a violin fanatic, always looking for a "better violin" and I've bought quite a number on eBay. Can't say I've always or even frequently gotten a "good deal" but that's the chance you take.

Indeed, the violin Pierre has on eBay is already up to over $200 with 3 bidders, with a long way to go to end of auction. But almost all auctions now are won in the last 30 seconds, with folks using sniping software. Then you don't have to watch the auction, you just submit your best bid and the sniping software watches the auction and if your bid is still in the running, the sniping software submits it in the last 10 seconds. I predict that will happen for this violin auction--the winner won't be a bidder over the last 6 days.

But the real question is how much is the K519 worth, what Fiddlershop paid for it and thus how much does it need to sell for so Pierre doesn't lose money. I don't expect him to tell us and of course he is under no obligation whatsoever to do so.    laugh 

I fully support Fiddlershop, as I think most of us on the Fiddlerman forum do, at least those of us in North America, in fact I try to buy as many things from them as possible. Not everything there is the lowest price to be found on the internet, but often it is.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 5, 2013 - 2:27 pm

I see your reasoning Steve,

I just want to clear things up. The K500 is a Johannes Köhr student instrument.

The K519 is a August F. Köhr Advancing Level Instrument. Two different names actually. Johannes and August.... though I mix them up all the time. LOL

I don't think you can find anyone on the internet let alone in a shop that will sell it for under $600. I was worried that you had found a SUPER deal.
Phew!!!!!!!!!
By all means though, do some searches and see what you can come up with.

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 5, 2013 - 9:56 pm

Thanks for the additional info, Pierre. You're right, I mistook the K500 for the August Kohr line, which I see is not correct. I only found one online seller for the K519, for $620, and perhaps there isn't a linear relationship between the K51x models increasing in price from lower to higher numbers after all since I see the K525 is called the "lowest price August Kohr" (one seller has it for $495).

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 5, 2013 - 11:03 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

You made some logical assumptions and I don't blame you at all. Unfortunately, the distributor is not as logical. LOL

We know what our cost is and that is why I had to say something. :-)

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 9, 2013 - 11:46 pm
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't forget the K519 auction--there's about 12 hours left to go. Only 4 bidders so far, price is up to just over $300. A chance to maybe get a really good deal on a brand new $600 violin. I'm keeping an eye on the auction.

Perihelion

Members
July 10, 2013 - 11:45 am
Forum Posts: 3
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dang, I was high bidder for DAYS and got sniped at the last minute. :P

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 10, 2013 - 10:03 pm
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

LOL

I'm really happy that you got it Steve, however, I don't understand why you encouraged others to bid on it Steve. Didn't your parents teach you any business tricks? ;-)

Thanks Steve for encouraging bidding. We'll probably be having regular auctions to get Ebay consumers linking to Fiddlershop.

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
July 10, 2013 - 10:07 pm
Forum Posts: 1973
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Steve happy you won the violin. It is a beautiful instrument and you got it at a great price.

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 10, 2013 - 10:31 pm
15sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aw shucks, I didn't <need> another violin--especially with the new Soloist already coming (Friday delivery now, not the expected Thursday), but, being somewhat of a "violin fanatic" that doesn't mean I don't <want> another violin to try out. I put a modest bid in on my sniping software (www.ezsniper.com) and fully expected not to win it. But as luck would have it, the K519 is now on its way to me.... So maybe I'll do a review of that, as well as the Soloist--eventually.

Already looking forward to the next Fiddlershop eBay offering.  laugh

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
July 11, 2013 - 10:38 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
16sp_Permalink sp_Print

Woo hoooo Steve... I think fiddleshop violins belong in members hands.. Yahoo !!!!

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

FinalPatriot
NW Atlanta

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
July 13, 2013 - 12:25 pm
Forum Posts: 100

Steve said
Aw shucks, I didn't <need> another violin--especially with the new Soloist already coming

Oh... that Soloist is simply a work of art!  I think I'd be afraid to play something that pretty but I'm glad you got one.  Perhaps you can hug it for me?  :)

Pierre, I "shared" a link to the Soloist on my facebook page and even talked it up some.  Does this "free" advertisement mean that you'll accidently send one in the mail to me?  You know, problems happen with the mail all the time...

"I know a girl who cries when she practices violin because each note sounds so pure it just cuts into her, and then the melody comes pouring out her eyes. Now, to me, everything else just sounds like a lie."

Conor Oberst

Steve
Oregon
Members

Regulars
July 13, 2013 - 2:14 pm
18sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Mark,

Yes, I got the Soloist violin two days ago and it indeed is a very nice violin. Too awkward to hug it, but I'll play a song on it instead.laugh And this time next week the K519 should be here too.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 13, 2013 - 10:34 pm
19sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wish Mark. :-)

The only problem is that we want to stay in business. beg

FinalPatriot
NW Atlanta

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
July 14, 2013 - 8:22 am
Forum Posts: 100

Fiddlerman said
I wish Mark. :-)

The only problem is that we want to stay in business. beg

Lesson learned here is to wait until you you have a significant amount of alcohol before asking really stupid questions... :)  I am going to have to buy one of those at some point though.  Well, after I completely restore my current violin I suppose.

"I know a girl who cries when she practices violin because each note sounds so pure it just cuts into her, and then the melody comes pouring out her eyes. Now, to me, everything else just sounds like a lie."

Conor Oberst

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 119
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7758
ABitRusty: 3914
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31660
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10588
Newest Members:
edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305