FORUM

The click track is ready for our "O Holy Night Project". Please visit the Project Page to download.

Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

A A A
Avatar

Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What change has made the greatest difference on your violins sound?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Avatar
pky
Members

Regulars
July 15, 2013 - 2:49 am
Member Since: July 5, 2011
Forum Posts: 969
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I stole the FM’s poll title. :P

I have a 4/4 Stainer copy. I bought it because it was listed as ¾ size. Any way, nothing was as described, size not right, there was open seam, and sound post was rolling in the body. I stood the sound post up and took it to a luthier, he fixed the open seam but would not put a new sound post in for me because there are three pieces of wood glued on the back on the inside. He thought there might be cracks. So I just left the sound post the way I set it.

I bought a new set of strings and put them on. My husband and my daughter both like the sound but I thought its sound was too bright, too ear piercing, and too loud under my ear. Whenever I used it to practice I put a rubber mute on.

Ferret posted “What strings to tame a loud and very ‘bright’ violin?” as well as the FM’s poll inspired me to make some changes on my Stainer copy. So I bought a new set of pro arte strings to put on it. While I was changing the strings, I thought I would take the bridge off to make a template so I could fit a bridge later to see if a bridge would make a difference and I thought the bridge was on the thin side. When I attempted to take the bridge off, the strings glided on the groves and sort of “sand” off the wood. I stopped the string changing process and went ahead to fit a bridge.

When the bridge is done, I continued the string changing process. All of a sudden, I heard the sound post fell over and began to roll in the body again. So I started to cut a new sound post – a plan that I had postponed. So now my Stainer copy has a new set of strings, a new bridge that I intentionally make it thicker than the old one, and a new sound post.

When I played on it, I immediately noticed a big difference on the sound and love it! It’s still loud but much less ear piercing that my ear could take it! I tuned and played and played. However, I cannot tell for sure, which change make the difference, the strings, the bridge, or the sound post, or any combination of the three, or all of them. Any way, I am glad that I made the changes and that I love the new sound.

I should have recorded the original sound before I started all these so I could compare the sound before and after changes. Well, too late now:)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 231

Currently Online:
44 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Andrew, Prudence, Lenicus, marta

Top Posters:

coolpinkone: 4003

Mad_Wed: 2849

Barry: 2666

Fiddlestix: 2647

Oliver: 2439

DanielB: 2379

Kevin M.: 1969

cdennyb: 1808

TerryT: 1722

Ferret: 1575

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 2

Members: 7520

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 16

Forums: 56

Topics: 6945

Posts: 86653

Newest Members:

wendiaz1, Michaelrar, WilliamBeendIO, nadiahu4, andrewlv69, williefl60

Administrators: Fiddlerman: 12799, KindaScratchy: 1706, BillyG: 2282