Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Goals for 2024
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (15 votes) 
SharonC
Members

Regulars
December 29, 2023 - 8:01 pm
Forum Posts: 1546
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I was just making a post in the 2023 Goals thread, so I figured I’d start a new one for 2024.  What are your music goals for the upcoming year?

20241.jpg

I plan on public performing a more substantial piece in March (decided on it last April & have been working on it—I’ll wait to reveal it).

I want to keep “cross-training” on my viola so that it is more natural feeling—so that my brain doesn’t shift to treble clef in the middle of a tune.

My practice in 2023 was a bit haphazard—I want to be more structured in my practice time (I know, who doesn’t?), setting a specific time every day.  I know that I make better progress when I schedule a set time to practice.

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Mouse
December 29, 2023 - 8:44 pm
Forum Posts: 5413

1. I want to keep on what I am doing.

2. I want to strengthen my cello sound. 

3. I want to control my violin bow better.

4. I want to get more comfortable with my viola, set up issue that I need to work on.

5. I want to work on intonation, flats, and maybe a little more speed.

In order to achieve any of these, I need to get rid of the panic the minute I see different keys than I am used to on sheet music. I need to gain more confidence. 

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 29, 2023 - 9:43 pm
Forum Posts: 7953

6ae644629b8ee207846a74f6f2e1027f.jpg Just hope I can stay motivated to practice in 2024! 

Like to continue experimenting with EV & further develop some music I'm familiar with.  Also, like to keep Halloween & Christmas Holiday music (I'm working on) alive throughout the 'off' seasons, for once! 

I signed up for another year of 'FiddleVideo', because I have many tunes bookmarked that I haven't learned - so, will try to learn a bunch to make it worth it.  The April 2024 Virtual Online "Fiddle Hell" will be in my plans, too - otherwise I'm keeping it low-stress so I can tackle software. 

Katie L
Members

Regulars
December 30, 2023 - 4:24 am
Forum Posts: 1084

I couldn’t find the thread with the goals for 2023 but moving onto 2024 I want to …

Work on tension in my left hand and not pressing too hard on the strings. 
Vibrato and trying to bring it into some of my pieces.

I want to work on my sound and try to iron out any annoying sounds that arise from touching other strings. 
I would like to think about third position and definitely work on the Winter arrangement. I’d like to be able to play that pretty well and it has a third position part so I can practice that. 

Ohh and another one I almost forgot. I want to tune my violin using open strings! Are there any videos out there as I can’t find any !

I think that’s it .

Mouse
December 30, 2023 - 9:26 am

@Katie L Check the chat roll. There is a link to 2023 goals so you can reflect and/or update in the chat roll below the chat post about asking for goals for 2024. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

Strabo
Members

Regulars
December 30, 2023 - 3:47 pm
Forum Posts: 159

In order of importance:

1. Maintain a more consistent practice routine.

2. Expand participation in BG and other groups.

3. Build skills: Backing up others; playing in more keys and modes; 3rd position; playing and singing; and (always) bowing.

4. Learn more tunes and variations.

5. Enhance fiddle-mandolin coordination and support.

6. Make better use of outside resources.

7. Get into some new genres.

and: Keep it fun!

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
December 30, 2023 - 6:08 pm
Forum Posts: 7953
ABitRusty
Members

Regulars
December 30, 2023 - 10:52 pm
Forum Posts: 3954

Katie L said
I couldn’t find the thread with the goals for 2023 but moving onto 2024 I want to …

Work on tension in my left hand and not pressing too hard on the strings. 

Vibrato and trying to bring it into some of my pieces.

I want to work on my sound and try to iron out any annoying sounds that arise from touching other strings. 

I would like to think about third position and definitely work on the Winter arrangement. I’d like to be able to play that pretty well and it has a third position part so I can practice that. 

Ohh and another one I almost forgot. I want to tune my violin using open strings! Are there any videos out there as I can’t find any !

I think that’s it .

Katie..this one helped me the most.  I dont use the fork as much as a tuner once i sorta learned it. .but once you get the 'A' tuned same applies.  Use the fork for a bit.. it helps with the process i think.

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
December 31, 2023 - 7:15 pm
Forum Posts: 1697

I didn't set any 2023 goals because I didn't know how long my post-COVID symptoms would last and how much I would be able to do with them. The post-COVID symptoms are still here but not as bad, so my 2024 goals are still rather limited.

I'm still aiming to keep up with my current commitments (orchestra and chamber music). I'd like to finish learning all three of the solo pieces I'm currently working on, in their entirety (Brahms E-flat sonata, Hoffmeister concerto, Schubert Arpeggione Sonata), and I'm aiming to perform the first movement of the Brahms in August.

A couple technical improvement goals: build comfort with string crossing across three and four strings, and get more consistent intonation with diminished seventh arpeggios and chromatic scales.

Gordon Shumway
London, England
Members

Regulars
January 2, 2024 - 12:23 pm
Forum Posts: 2449
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will...

work on ABRSM grade 8 material;

get fortnightly violin lessons;

join the Dulwich Symphony Orchestra.

Andrew

Katie L
Members

Regulars
January 6, 2024 - 12:33 pm
Forum Posts: 1084
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the advice abitrusty and Emily . 👍

wtw
Members

Regulars
January 6, 2024 - 4:12 pm
Forum Posts: 328
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I want to :

1) Play and practice more viola, globally (more time, on week-ends and non-working days). 

2) Do more videos, and hope they're good enough to be shared. I think the last one I did was last Christmas.

3) (Try to) learn new pieces regularly, even if I'm butchering them. I'm sticking too much on one or two, and getting frustrated as a result.

4) Spend some time with the violin. That should help with goal n°3 as there's quite a lot of repertoire and resources. I'm thinking of fragherrnmaurer youtube channel and others.

5) Follow up my 2023 goals, which were not attained : I need to keep working on double stops, on my left hand's agility, and left/right coordination.

And maybe improvise a bit, sometimes? I've lost the habit of doing that. Just taking up my viola and playing randomly.

stringy
Members

Regulars
January 10, 2024 - 5:05 pm
Forum Posts: 2064
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

Work on some higher grade stuff, like grade 3 or something which is high for me and get it done perfectly, try and enjoy playing more for the sake of playing, I think that's how you progress.

And most of all to stop worrying about everything and enjoy life more, also cutting down my time at work, I have had too many friends die in their early fifties.

Cajun
Members
January 22, 2024 - 2:54 pm
Forum Posts: 21
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

1) bowing

2) intonation

3) learn 6 songs: 3 from Suzuki, 3 from Burl Ives Song Book

4) at least 15 GOOD minutes of practice at least 3 times a week (not just faffing about for 10-20 minutes but GOOD practice)

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Sharon Begley

Sasha
Members

Regulars
January 23, 2024 - 6:08 am
Forum Posts: 136
15sp_Permalink sp_Print
  1. Practice at least 30 minutes (minimum) each day. And that is focused practice, not noodling or playing songs I already know how to play. That is fun time.
  2. Continue taking lessons through the year, missing no more than one lesson every other month.
  3. Record a full Christmas album.
  4. Master Sibelius (My teacher suggested I find a more appropriate goal than that one indicating it might be a bit of a stretch for a new player).

Okay, so number 4 is a joke to myself, and a reminder, to enjoy the journey and not try to rush to a destination. 

wtw
Members

Regulars
January 23, 2024 - 6:40 am
Forum Posts: 328

@Cajun @Sasha I like your "focused practice" goal. Should probably add that one to my list...

Good luck with Sibelius :--) we all have favorite (and unattainable !) pieces or composers.

Mouse
May 7, 2024 - 9:54 pm
17sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mouse said
1. I want to keep on what I am doing.

2. I want to strengthen my cello sound. 

3. I want to control my violin bow better.

4. I want to get more comfortable with my viola, set up issue that I need to work on.

5. I want to work on intonation, flats, and maybe a little more speed.

In order to achieve any of these, I need to get rid of the panic the minute I see different keys than I am used to on sheet music. I need to gain more confidence. 

🐭

I think I have made advancements in points 1-3. Still a work in progress, but feel I have improved in those 3 points.

I have not moved along in points 4 and 5. I have been concentrating more in cello and violin lately. I think working on 1-3 really does not leave much room for in depth work on viola and unfamiliar keys. I do play my viola, but not for more than recreation for now. I may have bitten off kore than Incan chew, In order to really hit the mark with 1-3, I need to put 4 and 5 on the back burner or maybe a warming plate, 😁.

🐭

The Bumblebee Flies!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mark
Guest(s) 82
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming HP, UtahRoadbase, goettjp, Griff, Briant, ElisaDalViolin, sus49, Faith, Raven, joko_emm, Burnett393
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7953
ABitRusty: 3954
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2449
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2169
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31688
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10629
Newest Members:
farareja, Kennon, tonyhoss, [email protected], Thug, eugenephilip572, tmcamil58, wsharek, Skogsra, Cylena
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16435, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5413