Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Mendini MV 500 / 650 by Cecilio
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Irv
Members

Regulars
June 12, 2018 - 3:57 pm
Forum Posts: 1650
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
61sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all. An update on the MV500 (and some photos). It is now sporting a set of Knilling perfection pegs and an ebony 3/4 size tailpiece. The G, D, and A strings are from a set of Opera (chinese) perlon viola strings. The E string is a standard violin Optima Goldbrokat Medium (#26). I roasted the Cecilio bridges that came with it and slightly altered the radius to lower the string heights and, of course, its thickness.

The MV500 does not have the power of the MV650 and I think, in general, that I like the MV650 more. But I must say that the MV500 is an extremely attractive violin and has a very rich set of harmonics (perhaps from the 3/4 sized tailpiece). I am going to modify the chin rest so that I can integrate it with the Wittner Isny shoulder rest components that I got from Wittner. I got this second hand, but I doubt that it had been played. I think that a high school student would be very happy with it and the sound would blend well with other strings in an orchestra.MV-500-Back.jpgImage Enlarger_MV500-Front.jpgImage Enlarger_

Success is the progressive realisation of a worthy ideal. —Earl Nightingale.

Irv
Members

Regulars
June 12, 2018 - 4:11 pm
62sp_Permalink sp_Print

While I am at it, I thought that I would add a close up of the modified and roasted bridge that I put on the MV 500 violin.mv-500-bridge.jpgImage Enlarger_

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 14, 2018 - 12:00 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
63sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cool Irv,
Did you notice any difference with the bridge?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Irv
Members

Regulars
June 14, 2018 - 3:25 pm
64sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Fiddlerman (and others).

First, regarding the picture of the bridge.  The image somehow got re-orientated when transmitted to the page and it gives me a sort of vertigo when looking at it.  Sorry about that but I don't know how to correct it.

I am using the same bridge that came with the MV 500 (which was installed when I received it with the name toward the fingerboard).  I roasted it, trimmed it to reflect proper string heights (the feet were very well configured to the front plate as received, so I did not mess with that), and substantially reduced the depth of the wood though providing a substantial "belly" for strength.  The sound was much improved from the original although the G string has slightly less punch than the other strings.  I was going to move the sound post more toward the "E" string foot to improve this, and perhaps expand the bass side bridge "heart" if I still feel a need to do something.

But I think that the big improvement was going from the 4/4 tailpiece to the 3/4 tailpiece.  That really expanded the lower harmonic component of the sound.  I have read that this effect is increased by removing the tail piece side string "whippings."  I am wondering if I can burn them off with an alcohol lamp, but I am concerned that I might damage the perlon.  The metal winding might protect the perlon from the heat for the few seconds it would take to remove the "whipping," but I am not sure.  

If you have a rogue instrument with a very bright (to harsh) voice (or would like a violin that would blend extremely well with a string quartet), you might want to try reducing the size of the tail piece to 3/4.  As I write this, I wonder how this modification would sound on an electric violin or a cello?

A last comment.  The Mendini MV 500 was the only Cecilio branded violin I have ever owned that came with an honest threaded nylon tail piece gut loop.  All of the others that I have seen came with a crimped piece of insulated wire.  

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 15, 2018 - 11:55 am
65sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is interesting IRV.
We have on occasion done the same thing with 3/4 tailpieces to get a longer afterlength and theoretically this can make an improvement.
I suppose, even more so with worse instruments. There is a sweet spot at right over 2" but I find it varies tremendously from violin to violin and strings to strings.
We tend to prefer longer afterlengths vs shorter ones but too long is not better.

Irv
Members

Regulars
June 15, 2018 - 9:57 pm
66sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Fiddlerman (and others).  I measured 2.552 inches between the bridge and the string ridge of the 3/4 tailpiece on the MV 500.  As a comparison, I measured 1.951 inches between the same two points on the MV 650, which has a conventional 4/4 tailpiece.  

I have been playing the MV 500 for several days now and the G string is now equal in volume to the other strings.  I don't know if the string is breaking in or I am making the adjustment in bowing pressure.  

Irv
Members

Regulars
June 16, 2018 - 9:42 am
67sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all.  I have just viewed an auction for a Mindini MV 600 violin, so it looks like we have to add another variant to the mix.  Has anyone played one of these?

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
June 18, 2018 - 2:43 pm
68sp_Permalink sp_Print

That sounds like plenty of distance Irv. I wouldn't shoot for more at all.

Irv
Members

Regulars
June 27, 2018 - 12:11 am
69sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all.  I just noticed that this thread has over 13,350 views.  Could this be a record on the forum?  

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 5, 2018 - 2:57 pm
70sp_Permalink sp_Print

Irv said
Hi all.  I just noticed that this thread has over 13,350 views.  Could this be a record on the forum?    

Which thread and where are you seeing those numbers? "Mendini MV 500 / 650 by Cecilio" has 4 pages, which is far from a record.

Irv
Members

Regulars
July 5, 2018 - 5:04 pm
71sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi fiddlerman (and others).  I went under review section.  First thread mentioned was this one.  It currently has a stated 13,470 views (as of 7/5/18).  Am I misreading something?

damfino
my own little world
Members

Regulars
July 5, 2018 - 5:41 pm
Forum Posts: 2113
72sp_Permalink sp_Print

For total views of a thread, no... I'm not sure what the record is, but the Traveling Fiddle thread has around 60,000 views, and I'm not even sure that is the highest for the whole forum.

☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆
World's Okayest Fiddler
☆•*¨*•.¸¸¸.•*¨* •☆•*¨*¨*•¸¸¸.•*¨*•☆

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
July 9, 2018 - 2:03 pm
73sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm glad that you are looking at those things in any case.
Damfino is right there are threads with many more views.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 72
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296