Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
St. Patty's Day Party 2015
It's time for this year's St. Patty's Day Party!
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (3 votes) 
BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
March 8, 2015 - 5:02 am
Forum Posts: 3744
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

clapclapclap @KindaScratchy - already caught it on the FB group of course, but it deserved another "Well Done" here as well !   Cool !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
March 8, 2015 - 8:36 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks, Bill. It was fun to produce.

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

iBud
Honolulu, HI
Members

Regulars
March 9, 2015 - 5:18 pm
Forum Posts: 376

Aloha everyone,

I wish to thank everyone that has posted their music thus far.  It sounds really good.  I'm working on "Oh, Danny Boy" and "Be Thou My Vision".  I don't know whether they'll be audio or a video clip.  I worked in some ornamentation for both, but still don't like the way I sound.  Still, I want to contribute something so will most likely be recording either this week or on the weekend. 

I just wanted to give a shout out for those that have posted their audio/video.  Keep up the good work, as it gives me lots of inspiration.hats_off

EDIT: I was thinking of getting an Watch, but after seeing their rather crazy price points, I think I'll just ask my wife for more RAM and possibly a Snowball or Yeti USB mic - much better for recording than the built-in mic in either my iMac or rMBP.

Keep-Calm-and-Fiddle-On-small-2.jpg

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
March 9, 2015 - 5:37 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay. Diane.. again ... I saw it on the FB group but wanted to tell you ... 1st-placethumbs-upwith the Fiddlerman smileys.

I am hoping to get a better take of Swallowtail... (should post in Critique place to get help... cuz' I am strugglng... and you all were so nice here.. :)

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Schaick
Members

Regulars
March 9, 2015 - 8:25 pm
Forum Posts: 878

Thanks!  @Bill and @KindaScratchy  I have done another Ned of the Hill will try to get it posted.  

You know what we forgot this year - a Valentines Day Party!!

Violinist start date -  May 2013  

Fiddler start date - May 2014

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

Barry
Members

Regulars
March 10, 2015 - 8:23 am
Forum Posts: 2690
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

Schaick said

You know what we forgot this year - a Valentines Day Party!!

We had a love song party on streetjelly   :)

treble-1226bass-1222

There is no shame in playing twinkle, youre playing Mozart

coolpinkone
March 10, 2015 - 12:57 pm
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

IBUD.  I can't wait for your songs... :)

coolpinkone
March 10, 2015 - 1:02 pm
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Barry ... I completely loved your song!  

@Schaick  Great job.  I love it.   :)  

Keep em coming folks.

I have my violin friend coming to my house to help me with Swallow Tail and Snow Deer tonight.   :)

saint_patricks_daytime_to_drinkgetting_jiggypaddy-smileydancing-irish-smiley

Schaick
Members

Regulars
March 10, 2015 - 2:20 pm
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks @coolpinkone.  Oh I hope you play a duet!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....VeQlf6WUD4

FIDDLE- Gift from a dear friend. A 1930-40 german copy, of a french copy of a Stradivarius.  BOW - $50 carbon fiber. Strings - Dominants with E Pirastro Gold string.

BillyG
March 10, 2015 - 2:41 pm
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great party - I've just been looking at "Lord of the Dance"...   (in a very basic form) - sounds like a plan....   I'll play it a few more times ( well, as much as I know by ear ) to get what "feels" like a reasonable timing...  and post soon....

Yup keep the party running...  not the  19th yet  ... oops - I mean 17th I think.... LOL (it really does not matter - keep the tunes coming folks! )

Schaick
Members

Regulars
March 12, 2015 - 3:22 pm

Here's my Swallowtail.  It is off of sheet music - don't have it memorized yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....1GBazh65kA

BillyG
March 12, 2015 - 3:33 pm
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good work @Schaick , thank you!thumbs-upthumbs-up thumbs-up

BillyG
March 13, 2015 - 7:37 am
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

Another for St Patrick's Day - fooling around with Lord of The Dance- trying to vary expression/dynamics and tempo...

BillyG
March 13, 2015 - 8:45 am
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

And a final St Pats Day submission since I've still have not got to grips with the double-stopped version of Raglan Road yet - but here's an attempt at Swallowtail Jig. I'm trying 3 different bowing techniques on it - a "kind of slurred marcato" (if there IS such a thing), "normal" change direction on each note, and a pretty much failed attempt at spiccato... anyway - it's all practice... feature=youtu.be

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
March 13, 2015 - 5:00 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
35sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great job everyone. :)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

iBud
Honolulu, HI
Members

Regulars
March 15, 2015 - 4:39 pm
Forum Posts: 376
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aloha everyone,

I still get the jitters when I know I'm on camera, but "Be Thou My Vision" came out ok.  "Danny Boy" is another story - I was going pretty well until the last phrase.  The 3rd finger on my left hand came down on the D string in completely the wrong way.  Anyway, y'all can hear it.  I've posted both videos to YouTube and I must apologize for not wearing any green.  I think I need professional held (not the mental kind, though cool).  I've been at it for seven months, albeit self-taught, but I don't know if I'm improving in any aspect other than composing music for the fiddle.

My bowing, while improved, is still bad and my lack of intonation is rather shocking after seven months of "sawing away".   @Fiddlerman, I hope I've improved since last December.  Y'all now see why I don't post many videos - I need to improve quite a bit.  Still, it's fun to work on something, record it, then get constructive criticism, especially since I'm completely self-taught.  Anyway, here's the two videos:

https://youtu.be/AhsofvL-p9k

http://youtu.be/LI1HMPd6rc8

Keep-Calm-and-Fiddle-On-small-2.jpg

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
March 15, 2015 - 11:51 pm
Forum Posts: 973
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is Londonderry Air, played not too well. I'm playing a FM Soloist, a Dixon tin whistle and midi keyboard. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

https://soundcloud.com/shadow-.....erry-air-1

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

BillyG
March 16, 2015 - 5:53 am
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

@iBud - didn't think intonation was "shocking" at all, good work for 7 months.

thumbs-upthumbs-upthumbs-up  

@Uzi - it's great to mix with other instruments - nice work - cool !thumbs-upthumbs-upthumbs-up 

Thanks for the posts !

Schaick
Members

Regulars
March 16, 2015 - 8:27 am
39sp_Permalink sp_Print

How fun!! This has been a great party!! 

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
March 16, 2015 - 11:17 am
Forum Posts: 973

Irish Jokes for St. Patricks Day.

Paddy is in church and the priest says to a guy, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

The man says "Yes, father."

The priest says, "Then, my lad, go stand over against that wall."

The priest asks another man if he would like to go to heaven and he also replies in the affirmative.  The priest then says, "Then my lad go stand over against that wall."

The priest asks Paddy if he would like to go to heaven.

Paddy says, "No Father, I do not"

The priest says, "You don't want to go to heaven when you die?"

Paddy says, "Oh, when I die.  Yes I do. I thought you were forming a party for immediate departure."

===================

Paddy was driving down the street in a sweat because he was late for a very important meeting. He said, "Oh Lord, if you will get me a parking space I promise to go to mass every Sunday and give up me beloved Irish Whiskey!"  Right then, a car pulls out of a parking sport right in front of him.  Paddy says, "Never mind Lord I found one."

====================

The night before:

Paddy staggered home drunk, as usual, after having spent all day and night at the pub playing his fiddle and drinking with his friends.  He tried to quietly sneak into the house tiptoeing across the room, but when he got to the stairs, he missed the step and landed on his backside. It hurt all the more, because he broke the bottle of whiskey in his back pocket and when he got up he could tell that he was cut.  So he quietly tiptoed into the bathroom and found a box of Band-Aids.  He looked in the mirror and tried to put a Band-Aid everywhere that he saw blood and then slipped quietly into bed.

When he woke up the next morning he had a terrible pain in his head and his backside and his wife was standing there glaring at him.

She said, "Paddy you worthless mule, you got drunk again last night didn't you?"

He said, "What would make you say something like that?"

She replied, "Well, it could be the open front door, or the broken glass and whiskey at the bottom of the stairs, or the trail of blood all through the house, but mostly it's because of all the Band-Aids stuck to the hall mirror."

======================

Later that day:

Paddy walks into his local watering hole and says, "Mike pour me a stiff one, will ya laddie?  I've just had another fight with the little lady."

The bartender says, "Did you finally win one?"

Paddy says, "In the end she came crawling to me on her hands and knees."

The bartender says, "Well that's a first. What did she say?"

Paddy says, "She said, 'Come out from under that bed ya little coward and get what's commin' to ya.'"

=====================

Years Later:

Paddy was in the pub and he was playing the fiddle and drinking with his friends.  He happened to look up and see a hearse and a long line of cars passing by outside.  He stands up and tells the other musicians to stop playing and he puts his hand over his heart.  When the hearse is out of sight he plays Amazing Grace on the fiddle.

The guy playing the bouzouki says:  "That was awfully nice of you Paddy.  I've never seen you show respect for the dead before. I may have to change my opinion about you."

Paddy say, "Well, it was the least I could do. After all, we were married for almost 50 years."

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway
Guest(s) 158
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31663
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
Adityaail, SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309