Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Please participate in our “Let it Snow” Xmas 2020 Group youtube project!”

A A A
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Revisiting a January 6, 2012 Topic - Setting up a Violin/viola
This topic is still an issue for many today and Fiddlerman has a really good explanation.
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Mouse
November 6, 2020 - 8:11 am
Forum Posts: 2294
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

In searching through old threads to see if there was something interesting or still an issue for violinists/violists/cellists, I came across this thread in The Violin Section started by 2manynotez on January 6, 2012. It is on page 84 of The Violin section. Fiddlerman has a response, #6, that is very helpful, so I thought I would provide a link for you all.

Cannot Hold Violin

This thread is about getting your setup correct, and this is a topic that just about every violinist or violist has dealt with and is never-ending.

I will continue reading through old posts and bringing to the forefront, those that may be helpful, or just plain interesting.

Cello and Viola Time! 

(Former Username - cid)

SharonC
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2020 - 1:09 pm
Forum Posts: 112
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I think finding the right shoulder rest/chin rest combo can take some time.  Also, I think this set-up can change, particularly for adults.  I think young children starting out kind of shape themselves to their instruments.

I initially started with a Wolf Secondo & a Guarneri chin rest.  I injured my left shoulder (fell off a ladder), & exacerbated it by how I was holding the violin.   As a beginner, arm positioning can feel awkward.  It is important to not tense up. And if what you’re doing is causing pain, stop.

After 3 months of physical therapy, I changed to a center chin rest (Flesch with hump), with a Comford shoulder cradle, and was comfortable with them for a couple of years. 

Then after a while, these didn’t feel as comfortable (seems to coincide with when I was doing more shifting), and I tried a few different combinations again.  I ended up with (& use now)  a Bon Musica shoulder rest with a Wave I 1” chinrest.  The Wave is like a compromise between a center & side mount chin rest.  Don’t be afraid to improvise.  A woman who played viola in the ensemble group I used to play with used a piece of cardboard wrapped with shelving paper in lieu of a shoulder rest—it worked well for her.  I use a piece of cosmetic sponge on my Bon Musica so that it doesn’t dig into my chest.  Working well (for now). BonMusica.jpgImage EnlargerTheWave1.jpgImage EnlargerTheWave2.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Gordon Shumway, Bob, Mouse
Guest(s) 34
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Freq
Upcoming HeadCheese, kevoxyde, Ginnysg, lakelivr, harvestman, happyjet, fiddlinmama, kit, wisco kid, Raef, AmandaKulp, vocaliw95
Top Posters:
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2680
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
damfino: 1991
Kevin M.: 1971
cdennyb: 1815
TerryT: 1728
Ferret: 1575
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 27357
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 60
Topics: 8700
Newest Members:
JosephJoestar, RJ_Fiddles, rln2020, Jerome Hubbard, Little Prairie Girl, mmyork
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 15264, KindaScratchy: 1756, coolpinkone: 4176, BillyG: 3568, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 2294