Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Revisiting a January 6, 2012 Topic - Setting up a Violin/viola
This topic is still an issue for many today and Fiddlerman has a really good explanation.
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
Mouse
November 6, 2020 - 8:11 am
Forum Posts: 5361
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

In searching through old threads to see if there was something interesting or still an issue for violinists/violists/cellists, I came across this thread in The Violin Section started by 2manynotez on January 6, 2012. It is on page 84 of The Violin section. Fiddlerman has a response, #6, that is very helpful, so I thought I would provide a link for you all.

Cannot Hold Violin

This thread is about getting your setup correct, and this is a topic that just about every violinist or violist has dealt with and is never-ending.

I will continue reading through old posts and bringing to the forefront, those that may be helpful, or just plain interesting.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

SharonC
Members

Regulars
November 6, 2020 - 1:09 pm
Forum Posts: 1528
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I think finding the right shoulder rest/chin rest combo can take some time.  Also, I think this set-up can change, particularly for adults.  I think young children starting out kind of shape themselves to their instruments.

I initially started with a Wolf Secondo & a Guarneri chin rest.  I injured my left shoulder (fell off a ladder), & exacerbated it by how I was holding the violin.   As a beginner, arm positioning can feel awkward.  It is important to not tense up. And if what you’re doing is causing pain, stop.

After 3 months of physical therapy, I changed to a center chin rest (Flesch with hump), with a Comford shoulder cradle, and was comfortable with them for a couple of years. 

Then after a while, these didn’t feel as comfortable (seems to coincide with when I was doing more shifting), and I tried a few different combinations again.  I ended up with (& use now)  a Bon Musica shoulder rest with a Wave I 1” chinrest.  The Wave is like a compromise between a center & side mount chin rest.  Don’t be afraid to improvise.  A woman who played viola in the ensemble group I used to play with used a piece of cardboard wrapped with shelving paper in lieu of a shoulder rest—it worked well for her.  I use a piece of cosmetic sponge on my Bon Musica so that it doesn’t dig into my chest.  Working well (for now). BonMusica.jpgImage EnlargerTheWave1.jpgImage EnlargerTheWave2.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Jim Dunleavy
Guest(s) 88
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7834
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5361