Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddle Hell 2013
A weekend-long gathering of fiddlers of all levels, November 8-10 in Concord, Massachusetts.
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
August 4, 2013 - 10:04 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thought some folks here might be interested in attending Fiddle Hell, an informal gathering of fiddlers who meet annually to jam, learn, and have fun. The gathering is held at the Colonial Inn in Concord, Massachusetts and starts at 12:00 noon on Friday, November 8th and goes until 6:00 pm on Sunday, November 10th.

According to the website, there will be lots of different fiddle styles represented at Fiddle Hell, by fiddlers with a variety of experience, which makes it all the more interesting.

I first heard about it here when Mr. Jim @Worldfiddler mentioned it in a post. I couldn't believe it when I read that it takes place only 45 minutes from where I live. Mr. Scratchy and I are planning on attending this year. Maybe we'll see some other fiddlerman.com members there.

For details, see: http://www.reinerfamilyband.co.....ction.html.

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

StoneDog
Members

Regulars
August 4, 2013 - 10:20 pm
Forum Posts: 888

I will not be there but how SWEET is THAT > just down around the bend for ya!!!! SWEET!!! I would not miss it if it was that near. > Have a viddling time> IT will ROCK!!

coffee1 violin-1267bunny_pole_dancersmiley-face-punchingflag_usagold_star

A FREAKING VIDDLE party >> How SWEET is that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!violin-1267

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
August 5, 2013 - 8:34 am
Forum Posts: 1281

yup, another member fiddlejammer goes there, or has. I first heard of it almost 3 years ago when I frequented another site for fiddling. I would def put it on my bucket list if I could afford a bucket. lol.

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

Worldfiddler
Members

Regulars
August 5, 2013 - 3:50 pm
Forum Posts: 488

Well, I was an instructor at the Fiddle Hells there from 2007-2010 (they used to be in Groton, at the Stagecoach Inn, but that was destroyed in a fire two years ago. No-one was hurt) -  I've missed 2011 and 2012, and unfortunately will miss 2013 ... dang :(

Next year, for sure!!

It is a superb event. Something for everyone. Dave Reiner is a great guy, and so are his two (musician) sons, Andy and Eric.

Get there if you can!

Mr Jim dancing

Barry
Members

Regulars
August 5, 2013 - 3:57 pm
Forum Posts: 2690

Ive heard a lot of folks talk about it, may have to do that some year

There is no shame in playing twinkle, youre playing Mozart

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
November 10, 2013 - 6:16 pm

I'm happy to report that I survived Fiddle Hell 2013. In the words of @StoneDog , it ROCKED!

I can't even tell you how much fun it was. I learned so much and it was a BLAST meeting and playing with a bunch of other fiddlers.

There were sessions for all levels of fiddlers and many different styles. I participated mostly in beginner and advanced beginner sessions, which were on various styles including Old Time, Irish and New England.

It was so cool to be in a room with 25-50 fiddlers all playing together.

I was very glad that I had put in the effort to learn/memorize some of the tunes on the Fiddle Hell Common Tune list. I was able to play along and did fairly well keeping up since they were played at a moderate tempo.

The instructors also taught tunes that were not on the common tune list, so we had to learn by ear, which was excellent practice for me since I'm not very good at that. :)

The venue -- the Colonial Inn in Concord, Mass. -- is a quaint, distinctively New England inn that dates to colonial times. It was cozy and seemed appropriate for a fiddlers' gathering. The only downside was that some of the workshop rooms were too small and a bit cramped. I understand that the organizers are working to find additional space in neighboring buildings for next year.

If you are able to attend next year, I highly recommend it. Here's the website for more info: http://www.reinerfamilyband.co.....assac.html

StoneDog
Members

Regulars
November 11, 2013 - 8:06 am
Forum Posts: 888

WOW!! > that must of been GREAT > some day I would like to make that gig. Did you get any pics?

TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
November 11, 2013 - 12:18 pm
Forum Posts: 1731

1st-place

That's great Diane, can't wait to see a video if you playing at least one if the tunes that you practiced 

I am amazed at how old people of my age are.....

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
November 11, 2013 - 3:12 pm

TerryT said
1st-place

That's great Diane, can't wait to see a video if you playing at least one if the tunes that you practiced 

As a matter of fact, I'd like to do a video of an Irish tune that we learned -- The New Broom Barn Dance -- once I can play it decently.

StoneDog said
WOW!! > that must of been GREAT > some day I would like to make that gig. Did you get any pics?

Surprisingly, despite being two avid amateur photographers, we did not. We were so focused on fiddling that taking photos never occurred to me. I did, however, take a photo of the official Fiddle Hell t-shirt:

FiddleHell2013_t-shirt_20131110_194242_500px.jpgImage Enlarger

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
November 11, 2013 - 10:55 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh Diane..what a great weekend.  I am so glad you reported back to share. What a GREAT shirt.  Wear it with honor!1st-placeviolin-1267devil-violin

Cheers,

Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 17, 2013 - 4:03 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did you buy a t-shirt as well or just took a picture?

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
November 17, 2013 - 6:12 pm
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I bought the t-shirt and a Fiddle Hell mug. Mr. Scratchy got both, too. :) We also bought some CDs and music books authored by some of the workshop leaders.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 64
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2154
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5359