Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddler man's "Addams Family" Virtual Group Halloween 2015 Project
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 Topic Rating: 4.9 (9 votes) 
Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
August 8, 2015 - 4:05 am
Forum Posts: 886
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just had a go at the 1st part, and it's definitely doable, and therefore by implication so are the other 3! Yay! tongue

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 8, 2015 - 10:39 am
Forum Posts: 16429
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great attitude Jim. Thanks Leana.

I don't require perfection. When I mix all the parts I play with the balance and raise the better sounding audio a bit more than the less perfect audio. It tends to work out great in the end. I don't even look to see who's audio I'm mixing. The only time I exclude anyones audio is when the timing is way off. A few times I've readjusted the timing just a bit.

I remove the audio from the video to enable Finale Cut to work easier.

Just saying all this so that some of the shy members won't hesitate to send their submissions. :)
I'm not picky at all.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Just4Fun
Members
August 8, 2015 - 1:11 pm
Forum Posts: 62
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just got back from vacation and sight-read violin 1, no problem!  I think I'm going to need the click track to be able to get the right rhythm for the other parts.  I think this will be a lot less stressful than Rising Sun, as much as I loved the challenge, an easier project is welcome right now and hopefully that makes it easier to submit multiple parts.  I've already got my husband and kids on board to be my snapping guest stars dressed as the Addams for my video!

Just4Fun
Members
August 8, 2015 - 3:31 pm
24sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also just took a stab at cello 3. Thanks to my new Fiddlerman Carbon Fiber Cello bow it's coming along nicely!  My goal is to follow the bowing directions more closely this time, it made me cringe in HotRS to see myself bowing the opposite of Pierre (i.e. wrong)

Mangomagic

Members
August 10, 2015 - 1:13 am
Forum Posts: 12
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Addams Family tune is a great choice. I have away to go before I can join it, but I'm sure that I will  enjoy everyones performance.

'

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
August 11, 2015 - 1:09 pm
26sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just a couple of questions on this: -

1. In Violin 2 should I be sliding my first finger to the b natural in bar 9 etc? It seems the only practical way, but I'm finding it difficult to avoid a portamento effect.

2. Do we have an agreed tempo yet? 92 or 96 sounds about right to me. I'd like to practice with the metronome but don't want to practice at totally the wrong tempo.

Thanks!

CrimsonViola

Members
August 16, 2015 - 1:05 am
Forum Posts: 1
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yikes...first post ever on this forum.  I'm in for the Addams Family!  Not sure how to go about doing this, but I might be able to find a Morticia Addams dress and wig.  ;)

Leana
Members

Regulars
August 16, 2015 - 2:42 am
Forum Posts: 227
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

CrimsonViola said
Yikes...first post ever on this forum.  I'm in for the Addams Family!  Not sure how to go about doing this, but I might be able to find a Morticia Addams dress and wig.  ;)

I really hate halloween- but i might also have a wig……… start first page of this topic, and pick a part to play.  Hope to see you in the video- it is way fun, but I don't know that i will be able to pull it off

I swear- someday I will be playing as well as my imagination 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 16, 2015 - 6:02 pm
29sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very cool CrimsonViola :) Glad to have you on board.

Leana, perhaps this will change your feelings about Halloween.

Jim, Yes to sliding your first finger. As far as tempo, I like to hear from you guys first. Don't want to pick a tempo in which the majority finds it too difficult. Thanks for coming with a suggestion.

Everyone, How about those tempos? So far 92, 96. Please give your opinions. I need to decide soon. Also, since I'll be making a learning video with all the parts, I need an acceptable majority choice tempo :)

AndieKae
Members
August 19, 2015 - 5:40 pm
Forum Posts: 55
30sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've been practicing part 3 and I think I'll be able to get this down in time to join. *crosses fingers!*

I don't know if anyone else has a preference, but 96 is feeling right. I tried at 92 but kept playing ahead of it (until I hit the middle of the tune, where trying to play in time with anything I just completely fall apart haha)

I tried snapping with my left hand but discovered for some reason I can't actually snap, my fingers just slip with no sound, for the best anyway I guess, trying to snap and get back into position in time to play is more than I should be trying to handle. :) I guess I'll stick to tapping my foot or maybe I'll try employing my son to be my snapper.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression."

Algernon Moncrieff (Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest")

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
August 19, 2015 - 7:31 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
31sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Andie.Kae 

So nice to see you .... can't wait to see you in the next project. Missed ya gal!!

Cheers.

Toni

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 20, 2015 - 7:27 am
32sp_Permalink sp_Print

Before I make a learning video of these parts I would like more tempo suggestions (at least that is my excuse now lol).
Please everyone, come with your suggestions. Sometimes I make things too difficult for the norm and I don't want to do that.

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
August 20, 2015 - 7:43 am
Forum Posts: 3744
33sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like it at 120... it kind of zips-along - bouncy - bouncy - but that's just me LOL - I would be happy with anything up to that....  best to take suggestions from others though !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Leana
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2015 - 10:01 am
Forum Posts: 227
34sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know nothing about tempo

I would say as slow as you can without destroying the feel of it- everybody knows the song, and it probably sounds best the way we all know it (LOL)

good luck !   :)

I swear- someday I will be playing as well as my imagination 

coolpinkone
California, the place of my heart
August 20, 2015 - 12:20 pm
Forum Posts: 4180
35sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am fine with any tempo.  I agree with Leana... the song as we know it.. the theme song to the show... I don't know what tempo that is... is that difficult for beginners?  I know we do want to make it so everyone can participate even a brand new student.. (and even me. LOL)   :)

Vibrato Desperato.... Desperately seeking vibrato

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2015 - 1:17 pm
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

Agreed Leana & Toni.

Bill, I think 120 is a bit ambitious for some of us.

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
August 20, 2015 - 1:22 pm
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

And yet, when I searched for the actual theme from the TV series on YouTube and checked the speed, it's around 126! That surprised me!

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
August 20, 2015 - 2:23 pm
Forum Posts: 3744
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yup, Jim - I hadn't gone that far and checked it out - cool - it just "felt" more in time with what I hear in my head - but equally - no - I was not suggesting the project to play at 120 at all - anything is fine, and let it be based on what brings the most contributors - absolutely....  I was "stepping back" from that...   The other thing is, I expect it will sound quite different with an entire string ensemble compared to soloing it and at a lesser pace would sound real good !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
August 20, 2015 - 4:57 pm
39sp_Permalink sp_Print

We don't need to imitate the original. We can just make it our own. But those tempos are noted. Thanks. I would like more opinions.

Just4Fun
Members
August 20, 2015 - 8:26 pm
40sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree that 92 was unnaturally slow. 96 seemed ok, 100 seemed ok, 120 had my head spinning. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse
Guest(s) 129
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, wonderputz, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7761
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31663
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10590
Newest Members:
Adityaail, SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5309