Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
2019 Little Drummer Boy Youtube Christmas Project
2019 Little Drummer Boy Youtube Christmas Project
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (6 votes) 
KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 7, 2019 - 7:45 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
41sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just sent my part, for better or worse.

violin-studentsanta3lumpy-2134

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

starise
Members

Regulars
December 7, 2019 - 9:38 pm
Forum Posts: 447
42sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are we supposed to play the parts in written notation or add something different of our own making to the mix? I might have some time tomorrow. Not sure yet...and I know the deadline is near. If I miss it I guess i can join the next one.

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 8, 2019 - 2:59 am
Forum Posts: 3744

@starise - Tim - not exactly sure what you're driving at - but - I would assume that the "intent" is clearly to play to the notated score for the part/s you submit - but - equally and within reason - assuming you keep strictly to the overall timing (from the click-track, in ear) on a bar by bar basis, perhaps where there is a note or sequence you can't reach / find it easier to play in some way "differently" (well, or something like that), sure there would be no issue filling-in or replacing such a note with another note or notes from the chord sequence at that point.  Doing so should not be an issue as such a "fill-in" note would almost certainly be present from one of the other instrument voices / parts and when all mixed down with maybe a couple of dozen separate voices it's not really going to be an issue....   Just my thoughts about it!

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 8, 2019 - 5:47 am
44sp_Permalink sp_Print

Echoing what @BillyG said above. What you wouldn't want to do is improvise and play something very different from what's on the score. Fiddlerman has worked out an arrangement with various parts. When he mixes it together, we'll sound like a complete ensemble playing the score together.

That's why it's important to play along with the click track in ear, so we're all in time.

Hope that helps.

starise
Members

Regulars
December 8, 2019 - 7:55 pm
Forum Posts: 447
45sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahh. I see now. Thanks BillyG and Kindascratchy. Takes me awhile sometimes. I wasn't initially sure if we had more freedom to play within that tempo or not.

I want to play by the rules. 

I squeaked by last minute.Uploaded mp4 to my G drive and sent the notification to Fiddlerman! 

Jols
Atlanta, GA
Members
December 8, 2019 - 9:02 pm
Forum Posts: 38
46sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just sent my files to Pierre, woohoo! I hope they turned out usable. 

I finished my videos last week but decided this weekend that I could do better. I re-shot my parts but ran into crazy stuff along the way - my violin kept going out of tune, my bridge flew off my violin during one of my many attempts to tune it, and I was struggling to play in tune and in time with the backing track.

I always feel like there is something wrong with what I recorded, but if I keep redoing it I will never submit anything, LOL.

My neighbors probably want to strangle me for all the noise I've been making.  But hey, "no pain, no gain" right? Except, they feel the pain and I get the gain (I'm really sorry, neighbors :-S)

BillyG
December 9, 2019 - 4:10 am
47sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well done @starise and @jols - glad you got something done in time !

Jols said

I always feel like there is something wrong with what I recorded, but if I keep redoing it I will never submit anything, LOL.  

:) We're all in the same boat Jols - besides, and thankfully - FiddlerMan works a lot of magic with the final audio mix!!!

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
December 9, 2019 - 6:04 am
Forum Posts: 595
48sp_Permalink sp_Print

Final day. I was able to submit two parts last night. The recording was more of a challenge than the score. My PC is down so I had to use my phone to both record and play the click track. 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 10, 2019 - 8:06 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
49sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will have to extend the deadline for a lack of submissions. Please everyone who thought of participating, don't give up......

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

BillyG
December 11, 2019 - 3:21 am
50sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ohhh - @everyone-interested - please take part if you possibly can.  Your piece does not have to be perfect, many of us are beginner/early intermediate players and soloing-perfection, even to a click-track, is a rare beast.  Besides, any imperfections YOU as an individual have, will be largely masked by others' parts who got it correct - and equally - THEIR imperfections in other places will be masked by YOUR correct playing !   It's all in the mix

@Fiddlerman - out of interest / confirmation - could you possibly post a list here of the submissions you already have - just as a confirmation for those who have, or believe they have, submitted something...  I ask because I know from the past that one of our members had some issue (don't recall the detail) with using "sprend" as a guest (non-registered) user.

Bring it on folks - it's a fun little tune -gingerbreadhousechristmascandle

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2019 - 5:51 am
Forum Posts: 595
51sp_Permalink sp_Print

Would more submissions help from someone who already sent one in?  I can work on finishing a few more takes and another part. 

Bob
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2019 - 8:10 am
Forum Posts: 355
52sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'll try to get something to you today or tomorrow.

My music room laptop died, so I'll have to use my noisy desktop for recording. You may get to hear from my "fans" ;)

Bob in Lone Oak, Texas

Peter
West Sussex, England UK
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2019 - 8:11 am
Forum Posts: 378
53sp_Permalink sp_Print

Which parts haven't been covered, yet?

I could be persuaded to try one of the simpler violin parts, perhaps pt.II or pt.III if acceptable.

Peter

"It is vain to do with more that which can be done with less"  - William of Ockham

"A crown is merely a hat that lets the rain in" - Frederick the Great

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 11, 2019 - 8:21 am

Ripton said
Would more submissions help from someone who already sent one in?  I can work on finishing a few more takes and another part. 

I'm wondering the same thing. Do you need more in terms of sound? Or more people on camera?

If it's more sound, I can try to do another part in the next few days.

If it's more people, I can do another part in disguise.

Just kidding on that last point. facepalmpie_in_the_face-2223

BillyG
December 11, 2019 - 10:15 am
55sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just as a bit of encouragement to anyone "hesitant" about submitting a part - I submitted 3 parts - essentially all the same melody-line but an octave apart - vln1, viola 1 and a cello version (I probably posted early takes somewhere back in the thread).   Each one of these parts is NOT perfect by any means and "has some issue" in it ( in different places ) - be it an intonation fault or timing fault (I don't believe I actually got any "completely wrong" notes - and if I did, they seem to be harmonically acceptable :) )

Were you to listen to each part on its own, you would certainly notice the discrepancies in that part - and perhaps that is one of the things that stops folks submitting because we are all so self-critical and think "that's not good enough"

However - with even ONLY these 3 parts mixed down (and with the minor issues being in different places) - you end up with this 3-instrument ensemble, which, as far as I am concerned is "reasonable enough" to listen to - I'll say it again - each part if listened to on its own has within it, for me, an occasional "hmmm... Bill, that's JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH, I could do better" - but if you continue in that belief - you'll never be happy, or simply run up against the deadline and get nothing submitted - in spite of the work you've already put in.

NOTE: I mixed this down for demonstration purposes only - the parts were of course submitted separately, one as a video with audio (.mp4) and the other two as audio only (.mp3).   If you submit multiple parts - you MUST submit them separately and NOT pre-mix them - ONE video part is required and is NECESSARY, additional parts  can be video .mp4 or audio-only .mp3 (and if you submit additional parts as video .mp4s, Pierre will retain ONE video and extract and use the audio stream from the others).  

Ooops - final note - it's been said many times - the click track must NOT be audible on your submitted tracks - I PURPOSELY MIXED IT BACK IN in the video that follows simply for demonstration purposes....

I had hoped to do other parts as well (vln 2,3,4 etc) but various Xmas performances are getting in the way - however with the extended deadline, I should get round to doing some additional voices in time.....

Mouse
December 11, 2019 - 10:30 am
Forum Posts: 5361
56sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice post, @BillyG 

Sounded great, by the way. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

sf_bev

Advanced member
Members
December 11, 2019 - 10:52 am
Forum Posts: 54
57sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry, lost track of time ... and never noticed the deadline.  I'll see if I can manage to put a part together in the next couple days ...

BillyG
December 11, 2019 - 10:53 am

@Mouse - thank you ( on both counts )

I well understand there are many folks who simply won't take part for all sorts of valid reasons - be it religious / faith-based / don't like it / not my cup-of-tea tune to play / privacy / life / time-pressures and so on reasons - perfectly understandable and I would never try to pressure anyone into taking part.

But equally, I know for a fact that there are members out there who HAVE been practicing the piece, and they just feel that it's "not good enough" to submit.

I hope my words in my earlier post ( 3 above ) were in some way "inspiring" to folks who feel like that in some way, to submit what they can - even orchestral players "fake it" in places as has been referred to in another thread - where they "lose it", they just "air-bow" or "pppp" for a bar or two and pick-up again - it's all in the overall mix and even discrepancies as large as these will have little impact on a final mix down of hopefully in our case of a couple of dozen (OR MORE... YESSSS) audio tracks....

BillyG
December 11, 2019 - 10:57 am

sf_bev said
Sorry, lost track of time ... and never noticed the deadline.  I'll see if I can manage to put a part together in the next couple days ...

Awesome @sf_bev - I know you'll try your best to get something !   Yes, life can get in the way, suddenly it's 2020 and you scarcely notice where the year has gone !

Peter
West Sussex, England UK
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2019 - 10:59 am
Forum Posts: 378
60sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi @BillyG,

I'm certainly inspired, motivated and now ready to commit time and effort to recording a part; I just need to know which parts (I can only do violin) are needing more participants. I only want to submit one part, but may do more than one recording of it; I feel the best way for me at this time is to concentrate on just one.

I'm also working on a solo of "Sussex Carol" as a surprise for my aged mother at Christmas. It is a simple but catchy tune.

Peter

"It is vain to do with more that which can be done with less"  - William of Ockham

"A crown is merely a hat that lets the rain in" - Frederick the Great

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: stringy
Guest(s) 84
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3922
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5361