Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
2019 Little Drummer Boy Youtube Christmas Project
2019 Little Drummer Boy Youtube Christmas Project
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (6 votes) 
Peter
West Sussex, England UK
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2019 - 3:16 pm
Forum Posts: 378
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
81sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Mouse - Do you mean the double down strokes? They looked a little odd, but give a loose staccato; I presume that's what @Fiddlerman intends, because that's what happens when I play it.

I haven't had a thorough play-through yet, since I won't have a paper copy until tomorrow morning, and I don't like playing from the screen rendition of a PDF (call me old fashioned, or just old...).

Peter

"It is vain to do with more that which can be done with less"  - William of Ockham

"A crown is merely a hat that lets the rain in" - Frederick the Great

starise
Members

Regulars
December 11, 2019 - 3:26 pm
Forum Posts: 447

Is anyone else having the bow direction issue?

There's at least a 100% chance that I'll have a 50% chance of getting it right :)

violin-studentviolin-student

I don't know if I can handle a rebuttal to that lol.

I think I have a reindeer antler hat I could wear for another track. I made the ugliest elf in God's creation.

Mouse
December 11, 2019 - 3:34 pm
Forum Posts: 5305
83sp_Permalink sp_Print

If I can’t get the up downs right, do I submit it anyway? With some marked and some not, I can’t figure out some of the unmarked bowing. It is making it rather difficult. With my cello piece, it is specific, not sure how specific it is here. One reason I usually go solo, but am liking this.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 11, 2019 - 3:57 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
84sp_Permalink sp_Print

My take is that it's better to contribute an imperfect video than none at all. Pierre wants as many people to participate as possible. There's no expectation that all submissions will be perfect. We're all here to learn and have fun.

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Mouse
December 11, 2019 - 4:19 pm
85sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks. I have an issue with not wanting to let people down with group things and it always gets the best of me. With this not being actually playing together physically, it might help chip away at my issue. We will see. I am having fun playing Violin 2. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

KindaScratchy
Massachusetts
December 11, 2019 - 8:12 pm
Forum Posts: 1760
86sp_Permalink sp_Print

I resent my submission via both WeTransfer and Sprend. Hopefully one of them will get through.

When the work's all done and the sun's settin' low,

I pull out my fiddle and I rosin up the bow.

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
December 12, 2019 - 10:53 am
Forum Posts: 886

Well, my submission is currently uploading* to Sprend, so Pierre, you should have it soon.

All I could manage in the time was Vn1, and it's not my best work, but hopefully it'll be OK.

*EDIT: Successfully uploaded now.

Jols
Atlanta, GA
Members
December 12, 2019 - 11:18 am
Forum Posts: 38
88sp_Permalink sp_Print

BillyG said
Well done @starise and @jols - glad you got something done in time !

Jols said

I always feel like there is something wrong with what I recorded, but if I keep redoing it I will never submit anything, LOL.  

:) We're all in the same boat Jols - besides, and thankfully - FiddlerMan works a lot of magic with the final audio mix!!!

Exactly! And even though sometimes hearing the parts individually sound strange, they actually sound better together. I tried mixing all of my parts and I thought it sounded cool!  Imagine if we had a big collection of videos for this project.

When is the extended deadline? I will try to do Violin 4 if I still have time.

My neighbors probably want to strangle me for all the noise I've been making.  But hey, "no pain, no gain" right? Except, they feel the pain and I get the gain (I'm really sorry, neighbors :-S)

BillyG
Brora, North-east Scotland
December 12, 2019 - 11:34 am
Forum Posts: 3744

@Jols ( and everyone ) - as far as I know - the new deadline is now the 16th Dec, just a few days away....

** EDIT ** yes - indeed what you say is so true Jols - 

Exactly! And even though sometimes hearing the parts individually sound strange, they actually sound better together. I tried mixing all of my parts and I thought it sounded cool!  Imagine if we had a big collection of videos for this project.

That's precisely why large ensembles let alone full orchestras sound so darned good - no one single player is 100% in time all of the time, no one player is perfectly intoned on every note, not all players (of the same score) are necessarily up / down bowing in the same manner, some are air-bowing/faking-it when necessary and so on....  it all adds to the overall more complex final sound - the more the merrier !

I seriously recommend not copying my mistakes. D'oh - guntohead.JPG

Please make your own, different mistakes, and help us all learn :-)

BillyG
December 12, 2019 - 11:42 am
90sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jim Dunleavy said
.......  Successfully uploaded now.  

Thanks @Jim Dunleavy   ^5s !

Mouse
December 12, 2019 - 12:49 pm

Not having much luck here, even for allowing a little slipping. I am trying to violin 3. I start out fine, but the minute everything changes, forget it. It is worse when I touch the record button.

I killed the battery on my phone I don’t use as a phone anymore, no SIM card in it. I was using it for the click track. Killed the battery in the iPad Pro. I had it in the digital stand to video it. I killed the battery on the iPad air. I had the sheet music there. It is easier to read than the printed. Plus, I marked it up with my foreScore. I had full batteries to start off. All have to be recharged. Too bad the charging cable is so short. I could just leave the, plugged in.

I want to get one that at least goes all the way through on the Traveler. I have yet to get the ending at all, with or without recording it. The timing is hard for me. I have an issue with the G string. The B to A and back F (I think that is what it is, I going from memory here), could be a tad different, but I know there is a B to an A, maybe back to B, can’t remember, but I have major issues there and doesn’t get better. 

Will try again after lunch. 🤞I will get there.

The Bumblebee Flies!

BillyG
December 12, 2019 - 1:08 pm
92sp_Permalink sp_Print

You're a true warrior, on a mission in spite of flat batteries and other obstacles @Mouse !  Awesome!

You'll get there !

Mouse
December 12, 2019 - 2:27 pm
93sp_Permalink sp_Print

BillyG said
You're a true warrior, on a mission in spite of flat batteries and other obstacles @Mouse !  Awesome!

You'll get there !

I don’t know @BillyG I am not getting anywhere on being able to do measure 47 to the end of violin 3. It just does not happen note-wise or rhythm-wise. Plus, that G string is a major issue.

When I had violin lessons, she never touched the G string. I had her my first go round with cello and she never touched the C string, which is equivalent to the G string on the violin. She said they were hard and skipped them. Well, I still have three days. Need the 4th to get Google Drive to work. 

I have to do my cello now. I ignored it for this and I must hop to. My husband just called. He was with our son. He said he is lea ing there and he is going to go to Syracuse and see if he can get the oil changed. He is a little closer to Syracuse where he is now, than if he started from home. That means, I have all afternoon to play my cello without being concerned about driving him crazy. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
December 12, 2019 - 4:33 pm
Forum Posts: 595
94sp_Permalink sp_Print

I missed a good 4 or 5 measures. I just sat there watching until I could join in again. I'm pretty sure I Did submitted it.   @fiddlerman ?

Mouse
December 12, 2019 - 5:22 pm
95sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, we can sit out measures we can’t do? We don’t have to fake playing? I can’t fake play. Let me know if this is true. It will be my salvation!

The Bumblebee Flies!

Ripton
Vermont, Massachusetts or somewhere in between
Members

Regulars
December 12, 2019 - 7:29 pm
Forum Posts: 595
96sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not sure, but I stumbled and then picked myself up. I sent in 3 takes of the same part. I figured the mix master can choose which one to use or discard. Keep the timing that's the most important. At least for me. 

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 12, 2019 - 7:59 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
97sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't worry about the bowings as they are suggestive. It would look great if everyone used the same bowing but it doesn't matter otherwise. The most important thing would be the timing so that I can put it all together.

Can the person who sprinted me p2.mp4 and p3.mp4 please let me know who you are? Also, I didn't get video on that. If you only recorded the sound, let me know. I prefer to have at least one video to use in the group video.

So far I have received these submissions:

Billy
Diane
Gary
Jim
Jols
Lisa
Nate
Ripton
and p2.mp4, p3.mp4 person

Please keep them coming.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

intrepidgirl
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Members

Regulars
December 13, 2019 - 2:22 am
Forum Posts: 290
98sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh my, I am afraid I have been out of touch. Ok, armed with my phone, violin, and some hours to bash away, plus a generous extra few days, I will give this a go.

No cello parts? Just asking 😊.

Ok, off to work on this.

BillyG
December 13, 2019 - 5:47 am
99sp_Permalink sp_Print

intrepidgirl said
Oh my, I am afraid I have been out of touch. Ok, armed with my phone, violin, and some hours to bash away, plus a generous extra few days, I will give this a go.

No cello parts? Just asking 😊.

Ok, off to work on this.

@intrepidgirl - AFAIK there is no actual scored cello line - however I submitted one, just to add to the overall sound-canvas, and Pierre can choose to use it or not!  I just took the primary melody line vln1 and dropped two octaves to the cello (or an octave below the viola 1 - whatever ).   Do one if it makes you happy, and I'm sure it will be used.   I didn't create a score for it, just played by ear - if you want/need a cello score it'll only take me minutes to do - let me know...

starise
Members

Regulars
December 13, 2019 - 8:16 am
Forum Posts: 447
100sp_Permalink sp_Print

Do you guys want a drum part? 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 103
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7758
ABitRusty: 3914
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305