Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
The BBC Orchestra's tribute 9/15/01
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
David Burns
Winfield, Missouri

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2011 - 5:06 pm
Forum Posts: 425
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I got this from "The Violin Channel" website. Very moving tribute, no planes crashing, or towers falling like on the news today. More faces of people trying to cope with the tragic events. You might want a tissue handy.

BBC Orchestra Plays for 9/11 victims.

David Burns
Winfield, Missouri

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2011 - 5:39 pm

The British tribute reminded me of a story I read just days after the attacks. It is a letter from an Ensign aboard the USS Winston Churchill. It is a short but powerful story about an extraordinary gesture made by the German warship Lutjens.

FROM USS WINSTON S. CHURCHILL (DDG-81)

Dear Dad,

We are still at sea.  The remainder of our port visits have all been cancelled. We have spent every day since the attacks going back and forth within imaginary boxes drawn in the ocean, standing high-security watches, and trying to make the best of it.  We have seen the articles and the photographs, and they are sickening.  Being isolated, I don't think we appreciate the full scope of what is happening back home, but  we are definitely feeling the effects.

"About two hours ago, we were hailed by a German Navy destroyer, LUTJENS, requesting permission to pass close by our port side.  Strange, since we're in the middle of an empty ocean, but the captain acquiesced and we prepared to render them honors from our bridgewing.  As they were making their approach, our conning officer used binoculars and announced that LUTJENS was flying not the German, but the American flag.  As she came ongside us, we saw  the American flag flying half-mast and her entire crew topside standing at silent, rigid attention in their dress uniforms.

They had made a sign that was displayed on her side that read, "We Stand By You."  There was not a dry eye on the bridge as they stayed alongside us for a few minutes and saluted.  It was the most powerful thing I have seen in my life.  The German Navy did an incredible thing for this crew, and it has   truly been the highest point in the days since the attacks.  It's amazing to think that only half-century ago things were quite different.

"After LUTJENS pulled away, the Officer of the Deck, who had been planning to get out later this year, turned to me and said, 'I'm staying Navy. '

"I'll write you when I know more about when I'll be home, but this is it for now.

"Love you guys."

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
September 11, 2011 - 9:52 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Thanks so much for sharing that touching letter and Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. Doesn't matter how many times I've played and heard it, it still touches me.

Have a safe trip!

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

pky
Members

Regulars
September 11, 2011 - 10:19 pm
Forum Posts: 969

Thanks, Dave for your sharing! Even now, I avoid news about 911, when i read the letter you post, it gets my eyes wet.

It seems like 911 just happened a short while ago, but it's been 10 years!

I still remembered clearly I took a break from studying for my qualification exam and turned on the TV, there're the two towers -- smoking! I thought it was a movie but I quickly realized that it was real!

I'm not a US citizen but I'm a human! I was pretty upset and could not go on study calmly for many days. I also remembered a couple months letter I had to fly to Aneheim, CA for a conference, the airport was pretty empty because many were fear of being on one of those plane.

If people are more loving and less selfish, more thoughtful and less inconsiderate, more generous and less jealous of others, more concern and less insensitive, .... we would have a peaceful world.

GennaLea
Western New York

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
September 12, 2011 - 1:12 am
Forum Posts: 141

Thanks for sharing Dave. Wow... after 10  years, it's amazing how fresh everything still is in our hearts and minds.

David Burns
Winfield, Missouri

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
September 12, 2011 - 6:29 am

I remember being at work, on a small street in a small sub-division. We had a three man crew. A Repairman (crew leader) myself (Journeyman) and an Apprentice. We were installing an electric service to a home being built. At that time none of our trucks had am/fm radios. The carpenters and other trades working in the house had a radio. One of the carpenters came to the street and asked if we heard about the plane flying into the World Trade Center. We kinda laughed and said we hadn't heard the joke, go ahead and tell it. He said, no joke, come inside and listen to the radio. The smell of a house being built brings the memory of 9/11 back to me. Freshly sawed boards, dry wall mud, curing concrete. I can still hear the tension in the voices of the announcers, and then the second tower was hit. There was no comment from our company on the two way radios. Nothing.....Silence. When we got to our operating center at the end of the day, still no announcement, no statement of any kind. It was not until about a week past before they said anything, and it was just a rehash of what to do and expect in case of a large natural disaster. Our duties and obligations for public safety and providing electrical power. Pretty impersonal. I had two kids in high school and two in elementary school. Trying to explain it to them was pretty hard. I still think I could have done a better job. We stopped watching tv for a while because that was an endless loop of death and destruction. 

David Burns
Winfield, Missouri

Honorary advisor
Members

Regulars
September 12, 2011 - 6:35 am

Fiddlerman said:

Thanks so much for sharing that touching letter and Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings. Doesn't matter how many times I've played and heard it, it still touches me.

Have a safe trip!

I have heard the music before, I did not know the name of the piece. When I hear it a few month's from now, I will probably forget the name. It is a very moving piece. I looks like it took a lot out of the conductor. I guess he pretty much has to be the "face" of the orchestra while they play.

GennaLea
Western New York

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
September 12, 2011 - 10:17 am
Forum Posts: 141

David Burns said:

I remember being at work, on a small street in a small sub-division. We had a three man crew. A Repairman (crew leader) myself (Journeyman) and an Apprentice. We were installing an electric service to a home being built. At that time none of our trucks had am/fm radios. The carpenters and other trades working in the house had a radio. One of the carpenters came to the street and asked if we heard about the plane flying into the World Trade Center.......

I was a Sophomore in high school sitting in my Child Development class when the principal announced what was happening over the PA. Honestly, I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I had never heard of the WTC before that day. The rest of the day moved on like an old war movie. Each class we sat huddled around a radio, silently listening to all the latest reports confused about what happened and why it happened, wondering if there would be more attacks, afraid something was going to happen near us, wishing they would just send us home to be with our families. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mouse
Guest(s) 107
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7759
ABitRusty: 3915
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31662
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10589
Newest Members:
SoCal335, Jan Howard, edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305