Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_Related Related Topics sp_TopicIcon
Part 5 alternate Fingering to make easier?
just my approach
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (3 votes) 
Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
November 27, 2012 - 11:10 am
Forum Posts: 1281
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Bear with me:

Gmaj notes on the fingerboard

E   F#G   A   BC   D   E   F#G

A   BC   D   E   F#G   A   BC

D   E   F#G   A   BC   D   E   F#

G   A   BC   D   E   F#G   A   B

So third posistion would be to place your first finger on the third note of each string so I will Isolate those notes

Open string           Isolated notes

E                         A   BC   D

A                         D   E   F#G

D                         G   A   BC

G                         C   D   E   F#     

So find the notes of the first 8 measures (part A) on the G and D strings above. You will see that you only need to change strings once.

Now find the notes of the next 11 measures (part B) on the same two strings G and D. You will note that the low B can be played with a low first finger since they are only a semitone apart, just as you would play a B or E flat in first posistion. You will also note that the C in the middle of the staff can be played using the fourth finger on the D string. Those are the highest and lowest notes in that phrase and very easy to do, as the majority of the notes are still contained on the G string.         

Now you start back at the beginning essentially as each part repeats itself in order.

Now for the ending, I will let you figure that out, its all on the G string.

This is the easiest way I know to find alternate fingerings to play songs with minimal string changes. Its how I am attempting to play this part.

Let me know if I made mistakes, Pfish.

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

Tyberius
Members

Regulars
November 27, 2012 - 2:37 pm
Forum Posts: 555

Hey Picklefish..What in the heck are you doing ?

Trying to make it easier and more beneficial to play. HA!. Don't you see, we take great pride in our frustrations of not being able to play well. Do you not understand our almost self-trained tone deaf ears don't want to learn things proper and or easily? Do you now know, that giving people options makes them happier?

We need our misery, our off tones and misplaced fingers. Where would we be in the world of music if not for out ability to play off key and tone. Its our right, you know. You want to take even that from us.violin-studentwink

I have  a hard time finding that 3rd "spot" with my 1st finger as I tend to "Stick" my thumb instead of letting it slide when I move my hand. Now, I have only been attempting 3rd for about a week, and not even dilligently. The more references we get, the better off we wil be. Keep passing along the info. I for 1 am greatful.

"I find your lack of Fiddle, disturbing" - Darth Vader

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
November 27, 2012 - 4:18 pm

This isnt so much as shifting as just playing the entire toon in the third posistion, trying to find the easiest fingerings and still make it sound good. I too am having trouble getting a nice tone, I hope Fiddlerman has a solution for it. I also am tweaking my own fingerings because its not any easier learning a new thing. I think it will be more efficient once I am used to it.

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
November 27, 2012 - 6:40 pm
Forum Posts: 2647

Which part is that, PF ?dunno

Edit:   Never mind, I see, Part 5  Duhhhhhhhh...

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 27, 2012 - 11:28 pm
Forum Posts: 16429

Been very busy but I'll try to find time this week to do some demo's.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2012 - 9:25 am
Forum Posts: 1973

The problem as I see it with playing part five in third position is that part five is suppose to easy for beginners.  Asking someone who has barely learned to play a violin to play in third position is a mistake.  Beginners are trying to learn and get a feel for finger placement in first position then to have them try to place there fingers closer together and to hear the note, I just don't think it will work.  If you are not a beginner then it might be fun to try it in third position although the sound will be different.

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2012 - 11:34 am

While I agree that a fresh beginner might not get the hang of it, those who already play in 3 key signatures might find it difficult to comprehend playing in different hand posistions.

I hope that this explanation might make understanding it easier and who knows, the adventurous might give it a whack!

I am playing much closer to the bridge than I thought I would have to and pushing a bit harder on the lower strings that are much more shortened than in first posistion.

So whats the key to getting good tone in the higher posistions? Im gonna have to watch more FM videos to figure that out.

Fiddlestix
Michigan, USA

King
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2012 - 12:29 pm
Forum Posts: 2647

I totally and unequivocally agree with Kevin on this one.  Confusion is not the answer.

TerryT
Coleshill, Warwickshire
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2012 - 1:11 pm
Forum Posts: 1731

picklefish said

While I agree that a fresh beginner might not get the hang of it, those who already play in 3 key signatures might find it difficult to comprehend playing in different hand posistions.

I hope that this explanation might make understanding it easier and who knows, the adventurous might give it a whack!

I am playing much closer to the bridge than I thought I would have to and pushing a bit harder on the lower strings that are much more shortened than in first posistion.

So whats the key to getting good tone in the higher posistions? Im gonna have to watch more FM videos to figure that out.

I need to know too! 4th position sounds like a cat squeezing a peacocks private parts

I am amazed at how old people of my age are.....

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2012 - 2:01 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

It cant be that confusing since, third posistion is the first step in shifting many people are taught. If you tell me whats confused you maybe I can adjust my demo to make it less so.

As we all know, all beginners are following a traditional path, sorry if this derails some of you. lol.

@Terry- I know, my question was in response to yours that went unanswered in the other post. We will get it figured out one way or another..

I think its interesting trying to find the easiest way, however whats easy for me isnt always going to be for you. Always keep experimenting to find your easiest way. As always strive for In tune and On time! pfish

Kevin M.
Nicholson, Pa
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2012 - 2:34 pm
Forum Posts: 1973
11sp_Permalink sp_Print

For myself I find that in the higher positions a lighter bow and not too close to the bridge works along with a good rosin. Too much bow pressure keeps the shorter string from vibrating.

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
November 28, 2012 - 4:11 pm
Forum Posts: 2849
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

Kevin M. said
For myself I find that in the higher positions a lighter bow and not too close to the bridge works along with a good rosin. Too much bow pressure keeps the shorter string from vibrating.

Hmmm that's so curious! I'm in opposite, using a bit more bow preassure when play in higher positions duncecapdunno especially on lower strings... /confused/ confused It squeacks if the preassure is not enough duncecap Interesting! Maybe i'm too close to the bridge... i'll check out! Thanks for the observation, Kevin!

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
November 28, 2012 - 10:38 pm
Forum Posts: 16429
13sp_Permalink sp_Print

A bit more pressure as you get up in the positions. The reason being that you shorten the string and it becomes more tense needing more pressure to vibrate.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Mad_Wed
Russia, Tatarstan rep. Kazan city
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2012 - 6:52 am
Forum Posts: 2849
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said
A bit more pressure as you get up in the positions. The reason being that you shorten the string and it becomes more tense needing more pressure to vibrate.

Kevin M. said

Kevin, You are a wizard!!!! I've tried - can't do it duncecap

hats_off

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Strabo
Guest(s) 124
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today Michael Browder, EBurrell
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, JPferrman, Designer 88, LyleA, Stephen, Dorque, Trisha, Elaisa, Gordon Shumway, dougga, Russionleo, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7758
ABitRusty: 3914
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2425
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2149
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31660
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10588
Newest Members:
edwardcheng, Oscar Stern, bryanhanson, bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5305