Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
Fiddlerman 2018 Group Christmas Project - I'll Be Home For Christmas
sp_BlogLink Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (4 votes) 
Annieq

Members
November 29, 2018 - 3:24 am
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
41sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good morning from the UK.

Can you please advise if I am working this forum correctly! I am obviously  on the forum and to post a question I am pressing the reply button. Should I be doing something different?

Also,  has anyone done the project as a duet, using a splitter? Is this permissible, obviously both listening to the track via the splitter headphones. 

CyndieZ
Maryland

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
November 29, 2018 - 11:28 am
Forum Posts: 126
42sp_Permalink sp_Print

Annieq said
Good morning from the UK.

Can you please advise if I am working this forum correctly! I am obviously  on the forum and to post a question I am pressing the reply button. Should I be doing something different?

Also,  has anyone done the project as a duet, using a splitter? Is this permissible, obviously both listening to the track via the splitter headphones.   

Hi @Annieq - I can see your post, so yes you are using the forum correctly. Sometimes it just takes a bit for people to see your question. 

Not sure what you mean as a duet...... you and someone else on the same video playing two different parts? If that's the case, I don't see why not, as long as you are listening to the click track in your ear. But I'll defer to Pierre @Fiddlerman  on this question since he does the mixing. 

Cyndie 

Come and let us reason together.

intrepidgirl
Bragg Creek, Alberta
Members

Regulars
November 30, 2018 - 1:23 am
Forum Posts: 290
43sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay, I am late to this project but will try to get a bunch of the parts done. I have a "new" old violin to try, should be fun. Also will submit cello parts. I have been taking cello lessons, should be appreciably better than in previous peices (I hope!).

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 3, 2018 - 10:46 am
Forum Posts: 16429
44sp_Permalink sp_Print

@CyndieZ - Thanks and you are welcome. Obviously one cannot use that as a backing track for the submissions but yes, great to practice with. :)

@Annieq - I don't understand the duet questions either.

@intrepidgirl - Thanks :)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Linny

Members
December 12, 2018 - 10:49 pm
Forum Posts: 7
45sp_Permalink sp_Print

I'm putting in lots of time to get one of the violin parts sounding good. I'm really really new at this--4 weeks tomorrow. I was wondering... if the best I can do before deadline is the first movement of one of the parts, should I send that along? Or should I just keep working and try again next year?

Thanks, I'm having loads of fun--most days most moments!

Linnyviolin-1260

The clearest sign of wisdom is continued cheerfulness.

Michel de Montaigne

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2018 - 12:58 pm
Forum Posts: 886
46sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've sent off 2 files via Sprend. If I get the chance I'll do some more for the other parts, but time is not on my side at the moment! :)

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2018 - 1:00 pm
47sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linny said
I'm putting in lots of time to get one of the violin parts sounding good. I'm really really new at this--4 weeks tomorrow. I was wondering... if the best I can do before deadline is the first movement of one of the parts, should I send that along? Or should I just keep working and try again next year?

Linnyhttps://fiddlerman.com/wp-content/forum-smileys/violin-1260.gif  

I'm sure @Fiddlerman will welcome anything you can manage - the only stipulation is to use the backing track for the timing.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 15, 2018 - 1:32 pm
48sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linny said

Linnyviolin-1260  

I would use whatever you send me. Worse case scenario, I would lower the volume in the balance so that it's not heard too much. You can fake the rest of the part just so that I can use your video. :) Or perhaps play some open strings or notes that work in conjunction to the part. As long as it's a base note in a chord it would sound good. Same key signiture..... But if you fake it, I wll make it work. Bow timing is more important. :) I'd say you should be proud of yourself just making an attempt after such short time.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 15, 2018 - 1:37 pm
49sp_Permalink sp_Print

So far I have two submissions.

Viola 1 - Amelie and Paula
Violin3 - Kindi

Jim Dunleavy
United Kingdom
Members

Regulars
December 15, 2018 - 3:23 pm
50sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said
So far I have two submissions.

Viola 1 - Amelie and Paula
Violin3 - Kindi  

Mine's on Sprend waiting for you to download. :)

Linny

Members
December 15, 2018 - 4:52 pm
Forum Posts: 7
51sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fiddlerman said

I would use whatever you send me. Worse case scenario, I would lower the volume in the balance so that it's not heard too much. You can fake the rest of the part just so that I can use your video. :) Or perhaps play some open strings or notes that work in conjunction to the part. As long as it's a base note in a chord it would sound good. Same key signiture..... But if you fake it, I wll make it work. Bow timing is more important. :) I'd say you should be proud of yourself just making an attempt after such short time.  

Thanks for taking time to answer--I know you and the FiddleShop Elves are busy FiddleShipping right now. Thanks for cutting me a break and for the compliment... I'll do what I can and send it along! 

Happy Holidays!

The clearest sign of wisdom is continued cheerfulness.

Michel de Montaigne

CyndieZ
Maryland

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
December 16, 2018 - 4:17 pm
Forum Posts: 126
52sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Fiddlerman I just sent you a link to my Violin2 submission. Let me know if you don't have it and I'll send it again.

Cyndie

Cyndie 

Come and let us reason together.

Mariana

Members
December 16, 2018 - 6:27 pm
Forum Posts: 11
53sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hola qué micrófono usan para grabar?

Bob
Members

Regulars
December 16, 2018 - 6:45 pm
Forum Posts: 355
54sp_Permalink sp_Print

I use a "Blue Snowball", but have used the microphone on my webcam before. Some folks use their smartphones, others laptops with internal microphones. 

Use what you have available. Hope to hear you soon.

Bob in Lone Oak, Texas

Mariana

Members
December 16, 2018 - 7:58 pm
Forum Posts: 11
55sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gracias por el ánimo pero no llego para éste proyecto. Estoy pensando para el próximo porque el micrófono de mi tel es muy feo.

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 17, 2018 - 10:47 am
56sp_Permalink sp_Print

Marsupia said
Gracias por el ánimo pero no llego para éste proyecto. Estoy pensando para el próximo porque el micrófono de mi tel es muy feo.  

Next one then. :)

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
December 17, 2018 - 10:55 am
57sp_Permalink sp_Print

PLEASE, if you sent a submission and do not see your name below, please let me know. This is probably a record for the least amount of submissions but the deadline is today. That means we can still receive a bunch of submissions before the end of the day. Also, if I receive your videos before I actually mix and bounce the result, I'll include it. If you are worried about being too exposed and not doing a good enough job, don't. I also recorded myself on all the parts and can balance the sum of all parts to sound good. Had Michael O record as well.

So far:

Amelie and Paula - Vla 1

CyndieZ - Vln 2

Jim Dunleavy - Vln 1

Jim Dunleavy - Vln 2

Bob Brothers - Vln 2

Kindi Ramos - Vln 3

sdrobbs

Members
December 17, 2018 - 2:40 pm
Forum Posts: 2

I intend to record and have submitted by end of day.  What do most people do for sound, actually setup a mic, or just use camera/cellphones?  Ideally I'd like to do a full mic setup and record, but got sick as a dog yesterday and am barely recovered today. Definitely dont want to miss getting my submission in as I've been working on all parts!

@Fiddlerman -- I'm sorry I'm not going to make it in for a submission.  I'm still too sick, cant get through warming up without breaking into a full sweat.  Lesson learned this year against procrastinating on getting a video made early.

Bob
Members

Regulars
December 17, 2018 - 5:12 pm
Forum Posts: 355
59sp_Permalink sp_Print

@sdrobbs use whatever you have ready and available for now, since time is about up :) I use a "Blue Snowball, but it's not the best for recording violin. It does well enough. Pierre @Fiddlerman does wonders post production :)

BTW: Welcome to the forum.

Bob in Lone Oak, Texas

sdrobbs

Members
December 17, 2018 - 11:05 pm
Forum Posts: 2
60sp_Permalink sp_Print

@bob,  Thanks for the heads up -- I have some nice AKG mics that I've used in stereo config for acoustic guitar that I imagine will sound better than the level I can currently play at.  I wanted to get that all setup, however everytime i stand up to do anything i break out into a sweat thanks to a nasty cold I've been fighting since Thursday last week.  Next year I'll definitely get homework done sooner.  And thanks for the welcome to the forum.  I've been lurking here for a while now =) 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Mark
Guest(s) 85
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today RCall
Upcoming Sofia Leo, TKDennis, Ms-G, FiddleDetroit, CookiesViolin, Bobby, Elaisa, Michael Browder, EBurrell, Gordon Shumway, ViolinD, dougga, MoonShadows, Astandane, JohnG
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7718
ABitRusty: 3896
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2422
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2138
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31657
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 81
Topics: 10581
Newest Members:
bittruster, fiddlecastro, jackdaniel, romanmills08, creativestringsinfo, rubble_b, mariachi, avagrey92, Alison, David
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16429, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5296