Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
New Project(s) for 2021?
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (43 votes) 
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 1, 2021 - 12:21 pm
Forum Posts: 8088
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Okay, figured it's time I settled down and proposed some good ol' traditional fiddle music for a Fiddlerman GP. 

"A Flat", by Black Violin. 

But seriously, how about "Behind Blue Eyes" (The Who) - performed here by Bennu & Vivian?

giphy.gif 

- Emily

Ilona
Finland
Members

Regulars
April 3, 2021 - 1:06 pm
Forum Posts: 298
22sp_Permalink sp_Print

ELCBK said 

@ELCBK OMG!! 😳😳 I LOVE THAT! 😍😍

Can I sit here the rest evening and listen to this again and again? 😄

stringy
Members

Regulars
April 9, 2021 - 7:52 pm
Forum Posts: 2095
23sp_Permalink sp_Print

How about ode to joy, has it been done? Or suggested already.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 9, 2021 - 8:51 pm

(edited this post)

I just happened upon something a little different, today - I thought would make a great Fiddlerman GP! 

"Isabella's Lullaby" from "The Promised Neverland" -  1st was taken down, so here's an arrangement by Hailey Meng (also this score link in YouTube description)! 

💖"Isabella's Lullaby" score (arranged by Memoranda Music), this is actually what I have been playing! 

https://musescore.com/user/328.....es/5670629

giphy.gif

...maybe we could think halfway outside the box? 

Could get me and maybe others to learn some shifting! 😁

- Emily

Grandpafiddle
USA
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 11:15 am
Forum Posts: 110
25sp_Permalink sp_Print

Flats, flats, flats and more flats. Boy, do I hate so many flats. And then they go from three flats to five flats and throw in some sharps and naturals just to make my eyes cross and my fingers get all tangled up. Guess I need more practice on my scales! I think this was written in the key of "Q" ?????

Have fun fiddling!

Grandpaviolin

Violin ---- the most human of all instruments

Mouse
April 10, 2021 - 11:56 am
Forum Posts: 5448

Still in favor of Ashokan Farewell. That piece is more suited to all levels and more inviting for all levels to join in, in my opinion. Challenging yourself is great, but in my opinion, if it is for a group, it should be for all levels. We don’t have that much time to work on the pieces. That key signature in Isabella’s Lullaby is a nightmare, at least for me. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

stringy
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 2:54 pm
27sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think e flat is easy enough but gets a bit tricky when it changes to d flat, as well as the naturals and sharps that are thrown in.

I agree with mouse it verges on intermediate in parts, but thats just my opinion, and unless it was a tune I wanted to learn I dont think I could be bothered trying to memorise it.

I thought Of ode to joy because its easy to play and I watched a flash mob type video with an orchestra who slowly assembled one by one outside a cathedral, think it was in Germany somewwhere, and then played it with a choir singIng behind them thought it was really good.

Mouse
April 10, 2021 - 3:06 pm
28sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Ode To Joy would be another good one to have in a list for 2021 projects.

Why?

1. The tune is familiar to most. 

2. Because it is familiar to most, memorizing will be easy and the learning curve time will be lessened. 

3. I think that Fiddlerman could spruce it up or change it up by creating sections where violin takes the lead and viola and cello accompany, viola takes the lead and violin and cello accompany, and cello take the lead and viola and violin accompany, something like that, not exactly like that. Just examples. I have heard some pretty good arrangements. All the arrangements that I have heard had stuck to the original medley, so there should always be a part in each instrument section for any level. As long as the timing is not changed up over and over again. I have heard it with that embellishments. That is something that would put it put of reach for many, including me. 

4. It is a fun piece of music to listen to.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Please ignore any typos. My typing ability on a real typewriter did not transfer to these device key pads.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 3:31 pm

There are always easy parts for beginners.

Having parts with higher skill levels is inspiring - allows opportunity for members to learn, maybe advance their skills, from the Fiddlerman GP tutorials. 

Isn't this a forum for all skill levels?

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 3:36 pm
Forum Posts: 1713

Mouse said

3. I think that Fiddlerman could spruce it up or change it up by creating sections where violin takes the lead and viola and cello accompany, viola takes the lead and violin and cello accompany, and cello take the lead and viola and violin accompany, something like that, not exactly like that. Just examples. I have heard some pretty good arrangements. All the arrangements that I have heard had stuck to the original medley, so there should always be a part in each instrument section for any level. As long as the timing is not changed up over and over again. I have heard it with that embellishments. That is something that would put it put of reach for many, including me. 

In fact, in the original setting in Beethoven's 9th, it starts off with unaccompanied cellos and basses the first time through the melody, then violas the second time, then violins the third time. (Then it's in woodwind and brass the fourth time.) Each instrument moves to an accompaniment line after playing the melody, so each time through the melody there is a fuller harmony than before.

I'm not saying we should play the original version, because the accompanying lines get pretty elaborate and also because in this setting I'm not sure I'd want to have violins sit and play nothing for the first two runs through the melody. I'm just noting that the original version actually passes the melody from cellos/basses to violas to violins.

stringy
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 4:09 pm

@AndrewH is the note b in bar 21 classed as a double flat, in the music score emily published with her vid, I have heard of them but not come across them yet, would it be played as a if it is, or am I reading the music wrong.

Mouse
April 10, 2021 - 4:40 pm

I was just throwing out ideas. I am not a music major or anything like that. I am not sure I explained what I was saying correctly, but again, I am not a music major. I just like that piece as well as Ashokan Farewell.

I was not thinking any instrument sitting out an entire section, I was thinking the main melody could switch while the other played accompaniment or backup. Many combinations to repeat that tune and then flourish with a neat ending repeat, but arranged so everyone can have an interesting part, not have to struggle to learn so they have the time needed, etc. 

But, I do favor the Ashokan Farewell, but if one is used and the other not, or neither is used for the next group project, whichever is not used should remain on the 2021 list, I think they are both great options. 

The Bumblebee Flies!

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 5:03 pm

stringy said
@AndrewH is the note b in bar 21 classed as a double flat, in the music score emily published with her vid, I have heard of them but not come across them yet, would it be played as a if it is, or am I reading the music wrong.

No, it looks like it's just accidentally inserted. It has no effect. A double-flat is notated with two flat signs.

stringy
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 5:39 pm
ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 9:13 pm

My last food for thought: 

Nothing wrong with being a part of a big dream.

We usually have months to learn and practice a GP - we could even ask for more time. 

Is anyone in a hurry? 

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f8/ff/e8/f8ffe8b8169d717b3e9f98cdc577e3a9.jpgFor any of us having a panic attack about flats or sharps, please notice Fiddlerman usually keeps them to a minimum in his arrangements.  I think there are other ways of helping ourselves, since many of us can't benefit from years of playing scales to deal with sharps and flats on the spur of the moment. 😊

Suggestions are scattered throughout this forum - like learning small sections at a time. Try marking them on the music?  Color them a different color, or try renaming them... maybe +/- makes more sense?  Or... try to view them in a different, less scary light? 

What if there were no flats or sharps anywhere on the fingerboard, but a letter designated to all notes? 

They are still just all dots on a fingerboard and in the end, we learn the pattern of the whole piece of music we want to play.  

Yes, more experienced players will be able to get difficult parts quicker and there will always be some easy parts us beginners can play.

ALL that really matters is if Fiddlerman wishes to arrange a piece. 

https://rlv.zcache.com/purple_cartoon_music_note_3_ring_binder-r23bc0c71090d41118ef34eb7770106f9_xz8md_8byvr_307.jpg?rvtype=content

...otherwise, it would be someone else's GP. 😁 

- Emily

AndrewH
Sacramento, California
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 10:07 pm
36sp_Permalink sp_Print

No need to worry about the key, anything can be transposed into an easier key.

SharonC
Members

Regulars
April 10, 2021 - 11:33 pm
Forum Posts: 1550
37sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice arrangement of Ode to Joy:

https://musescore.com/user/268.....es/5463918

Characterize people by their actions and you will never be fooled by their words.

ELCBK
USA
Members

Regulars
April 11, 2021 - 3:18 am
38sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, it is. 😊

stringy
Members

Regulars
April 11, 2021 - 12:10 pm
Mouse
April 11, 2021 - 1:52 pm
40sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have actually been playing around with this song periodically on my violin, viola and cello, @stringy. I like it.

The Bumblebee Flies!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: wtw
Guest(s) 89
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming anonkid, KindaScratchy, freesbee, paulinefiddle, Allenph, oneloudmime, MsJoy, Sandybourne, Ripton, Space., loveluach, husseinHr, reedc83, Guido, A. V. Suvorov, Scrap, DennisS, JiminTexas, mcwey, Fashionandfiddle, Giovanni
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 8088
ABitRusty: 4008
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Gordon Shumway: 2455
Oliver: 2439
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2177
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31703
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10642
Newest Members:
alisawilson, justinbrown, joshiburman, jamesmartinjs12, davidmorgan, OliviaErin, pbstrings, nayaghosh, henrykang, anna.byrne80
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16439, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5448