Welcome to our forum. A Message To Our New and Prospective Members . Check out our Forum Rules. Lets keep this forum an enjoyable place to visit.

Check out our 2023 Group Christmas Project HERE

AAA
Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSSsp_TopicIcon
112 Melodic Patterns - practice to amp your improv
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
tamlin
Denver, CO

Advanced member
Members
October 22, 2012 - 10:20 pm
Forum Posts: 92
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just in case Wolhlfahrt isn't tedious enough, here are 112 exercises in melodic patterns, recommended to amp your improv - to be done in each key.

This link takes you to the intro - the 112 practice patterns links are listed at the bottom of the page. Translate to all 12 keys on your own...

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/p.....index.html

Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art. Charlie Parker

AdverseD

Regular advisor
Members

Regulars
October 22, 2012 - 11:32 pm
Forum Posts: 110

Strange, the address didn't work for me until I omitted the "/index.html" on the end of the address.

tamlin
Denver, CO

Advanced member
Members
October 27, 2012 - 8:58 pm

Nice catch. Thanks! Here's the proper link:

http://www.zentao.com/guitar/patterns/

Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn. They teach you there's a boundary line to music. But, man, there's no boundary line to art. Charlie Parker

RosinedUp

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
October 31, 2012 - 2:31 am
Forum Posts: 985

tamlin said

Dang, that doesn't work either now.  I looked at that soon after you posted it, and it looked, to say the least, useful.  Maybe I can find a similar page if somebody can mention the term for this technique. 

Do I recall that the essence was to simply transpose a phrase by some number of scale degrees?  Or was it a transposition by some number of semitones?

RosinedUp

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
October 31, 2012 - 2:54 am

RosinedUp said

tamlin said

Dang, that doesn't work either now.  I looked at that soon after you posted it, and it looked, to say the least, useful.  Maybe I can find a similar page if somebody can mention the term for this technique. 

Do I recall that the essence was to simply transpose a phrase by some number of scale degrees?  Or was it a transposition by some number of semitones?

Hmmm, somehow that site is working again now. 

It seems to be transposition by a number of scale degrees.

Okay, I just did the two-note-two-scale-degree example that he gave--for the G-major scale.  Just 112x12 minus 1 to go.  Oh but I guess I should do it for all seven modes too.  Okay that is 9408 exercises, but I already finished one!

banana

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
October 31, 2012 - 4:00 pm
Forum Posts: 1281

whats a wolfheart? and the linky no worky! dazed

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

tamlin
Denver, CO

Advanced member
Members
October 31, 2012 - 4:13 pm

Hmmmmm.

ZENTAO 112 PATTERNS:

Try copying the link to a new browser window. I did a copy and paste from the message above, to a new window, and the proper page loaded. Once you get this page, read the usage intro and there are more links to the 112 at the bottom.

Please let me know if this doesn't work! On the weekend, I can scan my printouts to pdfs and find a download place to share more easily. I am so sorry its not working for folks!!!!! I'm getting a lot out of them so far.

FRANZ WOHLFAHART Etudes:

The Wohlfahrt mentioned can be found and downloaded from two links on Fiddlerman's menu drop down from this site page:

SHEET MUSIC -> FREE VIOLIN STUDIES ETUDES AND SOLOS....

scroll down thru all the music to find two links on the lower part of the right column by Wohlfart, Franz.

I copied the link to them here:

https://fiddlerman.com/studies.....nd-etudes/

These are totally the money as well.

tamlin
Denver, CO

Advanced member
Members
October 31, 2012 - 4:15 pm

Just a practice thing I like to do with the patterns... I find it useful to sing them. At least a few of the starting phrases. Helps my ear "set".

I don't sing the Wohlfahrt - just grind thru. b-slap

Picklefish
Merritt Island, Fla

Pro advisor
Members

Regulars
October 31, 2012 - 7:04 pm
Forum Posts: 1281
  The website declined to show this webpage

the link hates me.

"Please play some wrong notes, so that we know that you are human" - said to Jascha Heifetz.

RosinedUp

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
October 31, 2012 - 7:14 pm
10sp_Permalink sp_Print

picklefish said

The website declined to show this webpage

the link hates me.

Keep trying.  It works for me sometimes and sometimes not.

I emailed the contact address on the web page letting them know something is wrong.

Wolf2u

Members
February 2, 2015 - 3:08 pm
Forum Posts: 1

The link keeps asking for a password & user name. I tried the one for this site but that doesn't work.

This might help others who can not access the site...

I was able to enter the user name & password that was listed on the pop up screen asking for this information to enter the site.

Thanks Tamlin

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 4, 2015 - 3:08 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
12sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wasn't aware that some users were having trouble logging in. I would appreciate more details. The username can't be changed by the way.

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Uzi
Georgia

Honorary tenured advisor
Members

Regulars
February 4, 2015 - 3:24 pm
Forum Posts: 973

Fiddlerman said
I wasn't aware that some users were having trouble logging in. I would appreciate more details. The username can't be changed by the way.

He's talking about the link to zentao.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. ~Herm Albright

Fiddlerman
Fort Lauderdale
February 4, 2015 - 3:34 pm
Forum Posts: 16430
14sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Uzi. :)

"The richest person is not the one who has the most,
but the one who needs the least."

Forum Timezone: America/New_York
Most Users Ever Online: 696
Currently Online: Jim Dunleavy, Strabo
Guest(s) 68
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming Shell, Squiryl, Schaick, GlassTownCur, mcassidy2004, Reptile Smile, MyMing, CarolineNH, JamesRSmithJr, SethroTull86
Top Posters:
ELCBK: 7828
ABitRusty: 3921
Mad_Wed: 2849
Barry: 2690
Fiddlestix: 2647
Oliver: 2439
Gordon Shumway: 2435
DanielB: 2379
Mark: 2155
damfino: 2113
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 3
Members: 31673
Moderators: 0
Admins: 7
Forum Stats:
Groups: 16
Forums: 82
Topics: 10606
Newest Members:
alicedcoz258, Dres pirate, tonyluo, Terrence Terry Ruddy, andrea924breaux, pybring, stive4545, kevin498, Fiddlerjones, FidgetFrog
Administrators: Fiddlerman: 16430, KindaScratchy: 1760, coolpinkone: 4180, BillyG: 3744, MrsFiddlerman: 2, Jimmie Bjorling: 0, Mouse: 5360